Photo

Loteaus' Travels

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#101 Eomar

Eomar

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

I think the problem is the delay I have, here in Australia. A number of times people have asked me to do things, that I had done straight away, but the lag between made it appear I was slow to react. In this case, it would seem I was cutting people off.

I know you don't like me apologising, so I will try and put systems in place that might minimise this possible problem happening in the future.

They say don't drink and drive, because drinking impairs reaction (aka lag). So clearly, to compensate for the fact that Australians are slow... er, ahem, I mean have slow internet... you need to specify the number of drinks everyone else needs to imbibe as a roam pre-requisite to balance your lag.

#102 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

Nah, you weren't stepping on anyone's fingers. If anything, you weren't fierce and demanding enough!! Your coms were lagging out, and we didn't realize it for quite a while, so it came across as either you were being indecisive (or perhaps, more indecisive than you really were) or were getting annoyed with the us (understandable) or you or we were just not understanding, etc., etc., you get the idea :) It all leads to furrballs and animal houses :), . On the other hand... once again, you took us out, got us kills, and did not whelp the fleet. This Griffin has now survived TWICE with you. That is unacceptable! I don't undock my Griffins so they can *gasp!* SURVIVE! This must change, and soon! Looking forward to Loteaus, Round Three :P

What you do for yourself dies with you, what you do for others is immortal.

BASIC | WOLFPACKS | ADVANCED | HSSR | EYES OF THE KILLER | STEALTH BOMBRS | FLYBYS | SKIRMISHING | INTERMEDIATE

The only chance you get is the one you take.

Redemption Road - Free Public Roams and Other Events!

Public Chat: Redemption Road - Mailing List: Redemption Roams

Roc’s Rule #286:  A real friend never lets you do anything stupid … alone.

m3gAb3q.png

#103 Jysella

Jysella

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

On the other hand... once again, you took us out, got us kills, and did not whelp the fleet. This Griffin has now survived TWICE with you. That is unacceptable! I don't undock my Griffins so they can *gasp!* SURVIVE! This must change, and soon!

Oh just wait until I can come along with the logi - then you'll REALLY have to try to die. :P

you need to specify the number of drinks everyone else needs to imbibe as a roam pre-requisite to balance your lag.

As the squad lightweight I would like permission to imbibe half the requisite amount - I assure you I'll be plenty laggy. ;)
BASIC-20120108 WOLFPACKS-20120420 COVOPS-20130420
"Pretty. What do we blow up first?"

Yes, this is my freighter. No, I won't help you move.

#104 Othran

Othran

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

As an outsider it sounds to me like a bit of stress one side (FC) and comm problems with server. Loteaus, if these people didn't want you flying with them then they'd tell you in no uncertain terms. Have no doubt about that. Doing FC work is unlikely to result in the real amount of compliments you should get - I'm not suggesting this is the case here, but you should be aware that regular FCs get criticism more than compliments IME. People in alliance fleets expect you as FC to always deliver and its not possible to do that more than 90% (80% is more realistic) of the time. Edit - and I'm talking JBs, cynos titan and all the stuff you guys don't have on a daily basis. Constructive criticism is sometimes welcome but there are times when you know precisely what you did wrong and you don't need any sort of peer review/AAR. Nobody said leading was easy. You're doing fine. More than fine from what I can see.
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#105 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:54 AM

In reference to the wine... I had one glass, which I think caused my headache. I'm no Cadbury's man! (glass and a half) *g*
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#106 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:14 AM

Day 78, Had me reach 20Bil ISK in assisted Kills and 1Bil ISK in personal loses. Straight after achieving this I lose a Talos and Catalyst in quick succession *g* Managed to complete my final cert, with Toran's help, with a couple of EFT fits still needed before putting the final nail in the coffin*g* Now I need two ships to fit out using EFT. Any ideas, so I can put a ship together? eg: a kiting Tornado, which I tried already and failed, due to lack of skills. Loteaus

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#107 FistyMcBumBasher

FistyMcBumBasher

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:22 AM

Day 78, Had me reach 20Bil ISK in assisted Kills and 1Bil ISK in personal loses.

Straight after achieving this I lose a Talos and Catalyst in quick succession *g*

Managed to complete my final cert, with Toran's help, with a couple of EFT fits still needed before putting the final nail in the coffin*g*

Now I need two ships to fit out using EFT. Any ideas, so I can put a ship together? eg: a kiting Tornado, which I tried already and failed, due to lack of skills.

Loteaus

Why not try an Algos fit? You have not lost any of those since you joined Agony.

I would also like to see how you would fit up a battleship for solo/small gang work. Go Dominix, Hyperion, or Megathron since you love Gallente so much.

#108 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

Cool, Kind of thought you would reply to this XD

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#109 Maudite 9

Maudite 9

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:10 AM

You seem to have flown nearly everything Gallente cruiser size and under. But I don't see a fishing Exequror. Make Child proud! :)
"Across the fields the wagon swept; its cargo bounced and rolled and lept; the Gnome atop, his brow a-sweat, prayed to Heaven his mead had kept."

#110 Quest

Quest

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

Also mucking around with ships that you don't usually fly makes you learn about other races fittings/ship bonuses/strenghts/weaknesses. I would try every T1 frigate, Destroyer, Cruiser for other races you are not familiar with (Minmatar, Amarr) as a quick exercise (just use all level 5 character).

#111 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

I hope these 2 are acceptable Fisty :huh: [Megathron, LS Megathron 1] Damage Control II Large Armor Repairer II Large Armor Repairer II Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II Armor Explosive Hardener II 1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I X5 Prototype Engine Enervator Prototype 100MN Microwarpdrive I Warp Scrambler II Heavy Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Navy Cap Booster 200 Modal Mega Electron Particle Accelerator I, Antimatter Charge L Modal Mega Electron Particle Accelerator I, Antimatter Charge L Modal Mega Electron Particle Accelerator I, Antimatter Charge L Modal Mega Electron Particle Accelerator I, Antimatter Charge L Modal Mega Electron Particle Accelerator I, Antimatter Charge L Modal Mega Electron Particle Accelerator I, Antimatter Charge L Modal Mega Electron Particle Accelerator I, Antimatter Charge L Heavy Unstable Power Fluctuator I Large Nanobot Accelerator I Large Nanobot Accelerator I Large Auxiliary Nano Pump I [Algos, LS Algos 1] Damage Control II Drone Damage Amplifier II Drone Damage Amplifier II Medium Shield Extender II Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I 75mm Gatling Rail II, Antimatter Charge S 75mm Gatling Rail II, Antimatter Charge S 75mm Gatling Rail II, Antimatter Charge S 75mm Gatling Rail II, Antimatter Charge S 75mm Gatling Rail II, Antimatter Charge S [empty high slot] Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I [empty rig slot]

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#112 FistyMcBumBasher

FistyMcBumBasher

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

I hope these 2 are acceptable Fisty :huh:

Spoiler

Spoiler

So when I am fitting out a ship I ask myself questions like these. So I will ask you them since they are your fits.

How long would your capacitor last in that BS? What would the effect be if someone were to bring 1-2 medium neuts?

Why did you choose using a plate and double reps?

There was plenty of powergrid left, have you looked at upgrading to Ions.

Why did you choose a micro warp drive over an afterburner or a Micro Jump Drive?

I would like that Algos fit a lot more if it had 3 rigs.

#113 Alistone Malikite

Alistone Malikite

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:46 AM

How long would your capacitor last in that BS? What would the effect be if someone were to bring 1-2 medium neuts?

On a BS there is no reason not to use navy 800 cap boosters (or whichever the largest cap boosters that will fit in the booster) I think the navy 200s was probably a typo.
Games are fun because of who you play them with.
If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#114 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

Interesting how no one has noticed the ammo on the megathron. *g* Must be a ratting fitout :P I was aiming for 400 on the cap boosters, but have been told 800's are more ideal. Don't know how the 200's ended up on there. For some reason a lot of what I had there was not what I thought I had, when I pasted it into the thread.

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#115 ToranBrades

ToranBrades

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:55 AM

I was aiming for 400 on the cap boosters, but have been told 800's are more ideal. Don't know how the 200's ended up on there.

I may guess they'd expect you to explain why you were aiming for a certain size of cap boosters, specifically why 400s on a ship that has way more of a cap than even 800s can fill.

PS: Noone forced you to do this completely in public, just sayin' :)

#116 roigon

roigon

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

Ship fitting is a bit of an art form. I've never done the math, but I'm certain that for each given ship hull there is a shit ton of potential fits. Most of which are absolutely horrible. But I wouldn't be surprised if any given ship can be fit a 1000 different ways, of which there are dozens of valid fits.

While I will repeatedly claim I'm horrible at theorycrafting, I have picked some things up over time and often when I come up with a fit that makes maximum uses of cpu/pg someone will just switch 2 mods around or downgrade something and make it better in no uncertain terms.

I think there is a big rubber ducking element to fitting ships as well, fisty already hinted at this in a different wording. But once you have your fit you have to start questioning your fit because it's probably not perfect yet. Even after doing that I can assure you that no matter who you are, after showing it to someone they will point out something to improve it that will seem obvious in hindsight.

There's a reason famous people who post fits on their blog tend to add the caveat that you shouldn't take the fit as-is but take it as an example :P It's because they know that as soon as someone reads it they will notice something that could be improved.

As for the FC'ing thing. That shit just takes practice. Everyone you see who seems to do an effortless job of it simply has had a lot of experience whelping fleets. While I think it's important for every agony member to be able to FC a fleet you will note that there are a fair number who rather hand off that lauded position to someone else. FC'ing is hard work, while the average member of fleet can read-up on some blogs or watch some video while navigating empty space the FC actually has to do shit. Check the map, check the route, wonder if he should hold a break soon, where where my skirmishers anyway, what alliances and corps might be active. etc.. Then as a kicker every mistake you make can potentially whelp the fleet, but if you do your job it was the scout the logi or the tackle who made the difference. The Exception here being if you pulled off some masterful tactical move shifting the balance heavily in your favour for any given engagement. But those moments don't tend to happen a lot.

Spaceships are serious business and as an FC you are almost a sort of project manager trying to balance your resources and keep everything on track. If the project is successful all the praise goes to the team, but if the project fails it was your responsibility.

However, unlike real world PM"s, the reward of an FC comes in the form of people having fun. Because while spaceships are serious business in the end it's a video game and people play it to have fun. As an FC you are a creator of content that your fleet mates AND your targets can enjoy. That's worth it's weight in gold, that's why people log-in and why people undock their ships.

I think we need an FC appreciation day now.

#117 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

I put what happens to me here, in the hope that this will benefit future Agonites, in their journey to Core.

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#118 ToranBrades

ToranBrades

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

I put what happens to me here, in the hope that this will benefit future Agonites, in their journey to Core.

Oh, it's appreciated, I only meant that you'll be drowned in more feedback this way :P

#119 Jysella

Jysella

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Ship fitting is a bit of an art form. I've never done the math, but I'm certain that for each given ship hull there is a shit ton of potential fits. Most of which are absolutely horrible. But I wouldn't be surprised if any given ship can be fit a 1000 different ways, of which there are dozens of valid fits.

As an example, a Rifter has 3 turret slots. If we ignore anything but T2 guns in those slots, we have 3 sizes of ACs and 2 sizes of arty that can go inthose slots. 5 choices, 3 slots, repeats allowed: 5^3 or 125 options - just for the guns. Of those, we would generally call all but 5 horrible for fitting different sizes of guns - and again, this is ignoring T1 or meta guns and the entire rest of the ship. You've exposed your first attempts at EFT to the world, and they both seem to have all of the slots filled (utility highs don't count for this) and the guns are all the same size and class. You're doing just fine for the first bits - nobody expects you to be able to EFT-whore like the lifeless right off the bat. ;)

I tend to work through three questions while working up fits:
1) Does it fit on the ship? (fitting mods are allowed here)
2) Does it work? (does it do what I want it to do?)
3) Is it elegant?

3 is where most quibbles about fittings end up. Utilizing bonuses comes into play here (yes, I could fit up a Maller as a skirmish ship to get the first long point on a target, but is that really the best platform for it?). Personal skills also play a role - that meta 4 shield extender may not be optimal, but maybe the fit needs shield upgrades V to cram in the T2 version. So does personal play style and preferences. Toran wouldn't be caught dead in a plated inty, but I like to keep a couple in my hangar for certain roles.
BASIC-20120108 WOLFPACKS-20120420 COVOPS-20130420
"Pretty. What do we blow up first?"

Yes, this is my freighter. No, I won't help you move.

#120 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

You're doing just fine for the first bits - nobody expects you to be able to EFT-whore like the lifeless right off the bat. ;)

We'll there's some hope for me yet.

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#121 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

It was 5 minutes before DT.

Fitch and I were around the RMOC gate in Hemin waiting for a ship to come through.

We both hear a call go out, to be prepared to tackle a Tengu. Deran says that he has the Tengu and required me to place a second scram on it.

The whole time I was thinking, how they managed to trap a Tengu. If they needed my second scram, the ship could still have gotten away, (maybe Quest had pointed it so needed the scram to make sure).

I arrived on the scene and couldn't see any Tengu. I thought my overview was faulty. I started freaking when I started taking damage. I asked where the target was and they said.... I was the target
I had hoped to put up a better fight. But went down like a lamb to the slaughter. Oh well.

You are now looking at the latest addition to the ranks of Agony’s Core.
Looking forward to a long, profitable and constructive time here in Agony.
Thank you all for your support and contributions to this thread and hope it helps future Trials deal with the trials and tribulations ahead.

Loteaus

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#122 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Congratulations on Core, Loteaus! Well deserved! :)

What you do for yourself dies with you, what you do for others is immortal.

BASIC | WOLFPACKS | ADVANCED | HSSR | EYES OF THE KILLER | STEALTH BOMBRS | FLYBYS | SKIRMISHING | INTERMEDIATE

The only chance you get is the one you take.

Redemption Road - Free Public Roams and Other Events!

Public Chat: Redemption Road - Mailing List: Redemption Roams

Roc’s Rule #286:  A real friend never lets you do anything stupid … alone.

m3gAb3q.png

#123 Fitch

Fitch

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

You were not alone in being confused by the lack of a Tengu :D. Congratulations!

#124 Vansen

Vansen

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

Congrats!
Vansen

#125 cr8r

cr8r

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

Reading this almost makes me want to get back in game.

cr8r

"Think of agony as a vine: quick to laydown some roots for nutrients, fairly resilient, but only truly thrive when there's nearby plants to strangle. " - Gizznit

Posted Image

BASIC - 1107091800