Photo

Loteaus' Travels

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#51 Othran

Othran

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

Well he had a good time today because I heard his response afterwards :) He's in a hard TZ in terms of Agony members online - although Echo looks like it has more peeps than it did in my day - and that sometimes means that you die first when you're a new character. When it all goes tits-up experienced members will have seen it happening and prepared for exit warps/kiting. Less experienced (but still high SP characters) won't but their skills are more likely to get them out on a cold warp, low experience, low SP characters are more likely to get the pod express. That's part of learning PvP and if it happens then it happens. One of the best learning experiences is low SP in a frigate on a small gang. I've just done it again on an alt and its tremendous - 100% focus on point/scram. The difference of course now is I know to disengage once I hear a secondary point/scram which I never did as a newbie. I envy you Loteaus, you got so many "sh*t on a stick" new moments coming.....
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#52 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Day 26 found me having an about face. I hop on and Yamir is on, being his bouncy, overly expressive self :rolleyes: He sets me up in a skirmish fit Atron and invites me into a worm whole (WH) and explains what I need to look for. Very interesting and I madly wrote it down. I then proceeded into the WH and got slightly lost. I was stumbling around and fell back out into RMOC. Dang! I then hear Caldak, reading a situation that was unfolding in a system, and sounding excited about a gang, which was coming our way. He brings about 5 of us together and assigns all the drones to me, so as to take out the Stealth Bombers that he seemed to think would come our way. It took a while, and I was beginning to doubt Caldak's intuition. Then Local grows by 2, then the spike. My heart was racing and I was finding it hard to breathe. Then they started coming. OMGosh! locked whatever ship I saw, then the bombers came, locked them and the drones swooped in, doing a very effective job. I think I didn't appear on many of the kill mails, due to the drone's being someone else's Meh... It was amazing... How silly could you be.... Why would you fly to the moon anyway... Are we all a bunch of moths, who can't resist the light? :D After the fight I had to take a bio and debrief to my wife. I come back and we're off taking on a group of five or six in K-Q.. Knowing I would be easy meat, I came in, got locked by 2-3 ships and warped away, came back and assisted in the clean up. These guys in Agony are animals! :P I love their attitude... Go for it, and ask questions later, is what it seems. Then they go into details that leave my head spinning about the other ship's fits and why they were unable to take us down. Nice time. WONDER WHAT WILL HAPPEN TONIGHT? :huh:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#53 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

Day 27, found me in a fleet of haulers. Seemed to be a bit quiet, so started looking around the local belts. Came to the ice belt and was about to leave when 5 BS sized crosses appeared. I started to warp away, thinking that it was too much for me, when something caught my eye. Haulers? I decided to commit to the fight and proceeded to remove one of the BS. While I was doing this, I informed the Agony guys, who were on at the time what I was doing and asked if they would like to help. Everyone came out and made light work of the rats. Then the hauling fleet came into the equation. A lonely thrasher, I think it was, was in local at the time and was probably wondering what was going on. Probably would have been disappointed, had it followed the haulers, as Sofai and I were sittting there in a Vexor and Talos. Made some nice ISK tonight, which will help fund the coming weeks with Agony. Thanks for the help guys! Loteaus

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#54 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

I hop on and Yamir is on, being his bouncy, overly expressive self :rolleyes:

The one being overly expressive was you, lol!!! I was having SUCH a hard time holding back my laughter listening to you after that fight, going omg, omg, omg.... if your hands were shaking as hard as your voice was shaking, I'm stunned you were able to stand up at all lol! It was VERY nifty listening to your excitement, it really was :) I was only partly teasing you when I said "gotta go shake off that adrenaline now, eh?" :)

It took a while, and I was beginning to doubt Caldak's intuition.

Never doubt The Caldak. Trust The Caldak. Have Faith in The Caldak. Be One with The Caldak.

But mostly, just go with the flow of The Caldak. It'll save you a lot of brain hurt :) In this weird twisted way you eventually start to not only understand, but "see" what he sees, even when logic dictates otherwise :)

Enjoy the "rush," Loteaus, it never lasts long enough :)

What you do for yourself dies with you, what you do for others is immortal.

BASIC | WOLFPACKS | ADVANCED | HSSR | EYES OF THE KILLER | STEALTH BOMBRS | FLYBYS | SKIRMISHING | INTERMEDIATE

The only chance you get is the one you take.

Redemption Road - Free Public Roams and Other Events!

Public Chat: Redemption Road - Mailing List: Redemption Roams

Roc’s Rule #286:  A real friend never lets you do anything stupid … alone.

m3gAb3q.png

#55 Othran

Othran

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

The one being overly expressive was you, lol!!! I was having SUCH a hard time holding back my laughter listening to you after that fight, going omg, omg, omg.... if your hands were shaking as hard as your voice was shaking, I'm stunned you were able to stand up at all lol! It was VERY nifty listening to your excitement, it really was :) I was only partly teasing you when I said "gotta go shake off that adrenaline now, eh?" :)

It was great listening to that. I actually asked Caldak did something go wrong on the fight as I thought it went nice and smooth.

I love the enthusiasm :)

For anyone wondering, I was only on TS as I wanted to ask Caldak something and while that was going on he found a fight :rolleyes: . Its not a regular thing.
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#56 Jysella

Jysella

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

Never doubt The Caldak. Trust The Caldak. Have Faith in The Caldak. Be One with The Caldak.

But mostly, just go with the flow of The Caldak.

QFT
BASIC-20120108 WOLFPACKS-20120420 COVOPS-20130420
"Pretty. What do we blow up first?"

Yes, this is my freighter. No, I won't help you move.

#57 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

I'm so embarrassed :unsure:

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#58 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

Whatever for? We're applauding you! :)

What you do for yourself dies with you, what you do for others is immortal.

BASIC | WOLFPACKS | ADVANCED | HSSR | EYES OF THE KILLER | STEALTH BOMBRS | FLYBYS | SKIRMISHING | INTERMEDIATE

The only chance you get is the one you take.

Redemption Road - Free Public Roams and Other Events!

Public Chat: Redemption Road - Mailing List: Redemption Roams

Roc’s Rule #286:  A real friend never lets you do anything stupid … alone.

m3gAb3q.png

#59 Maudite 9

Maudite 9

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Whatever for? We're applauding you! :)

Yeah, don't be embarrassed. I haven't flown with you yet, but look forward to doing so at some point. (I'm not Echo)

By the way, Greygal wrote a thread when she was a Trial too. Just a tad more "wall of text" than you :lol: but you might want to dig it out and read it to see what she was thinking as a Trial. She was pretty excited too - it's a good thing!
"Across the fields the wagon swept; its cargo bounced and rolled and lept; the Gnome atop, his brow a-sweat, prayed to Heaven his mead had kept."

#60 Othran

Othran

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Don't be embarrassed.

Don't lose the enthusiasm either.

Your attitude has an effect on others in gang. Your attitude makes people happier so its win-win IMHO
Today's word is :

#61 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Day 28, have nothing to report. Day 29, had me arriving as everyone else was taking down a fleet around one of the gates in Hemin. Doh! to late. Toran took me through the drill of using my D-scanner. It was cool. Stuffed up the first time, as I was getting use to what he was saying and my Overview was not set up correctly. The next time I did it, I tracked Toran down, warped to him and locked and scrammed him. (I'm so proud of myself) Yamir came on and I told him to go and hide. Tracked him down too. :D Please don't ask me how long it took. That is confidential information, on a need to know basis and you don't need to know. :unsure: Quite a euforic day for me. (I sound like one of my students, on excursion, who says, "Mr T... Look out the window"... "What?".... "a Tunnel".... hmmmmmm) :huh: Loteaus

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#62 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

Day 30, found me discovering how complacent I had become in Nulsec. I had managed to get away from a fight, which Dinghy was sadly unable to survive, with a Hurricane and a few of his late arriving friends. I warped to a customs office and was quickly followed and pointed. I was surprised how quickly they were able to follow and point me. There went my MWD and any speed benefit. The other ships arrived and made light work of my Atron. Due to a fleet window appearing, just as I was trying to warp out, I was unable to save my pod either. Good to know that these things can happen. Dzu was on and I found out she had some type of flash card app. for an Iphone that helps you identify ships. She later linked me a site that's really good for memorising the EVE ships names and their capabilities. Thanks Dzu (With some of the ex-agony guys coming back into the corp, and the way they carry themselves, I can understand why I like this corp so much) I'm there for yah Dinghy, hopefully in a bigger ship in future. :) Loteaus

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#63 Alistone Malikite

Alistone Malikite

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

Dzu was on and I found out she had some type of flash card app. for an Iphone that helps you identify ships. She later linked me a site that's really good for memorising the EVE ships names and their capabilities. Thanks Dzu

Loteaus

It was also helpful for me years ago to memorize all the different ships. Knowing their race, type, and bonuses (and sensor strength) didn't take as long as I thought it might. BUT make sure you have updated flashcards. There have been some "recent" ship changes; most significantly some old mining ships are now remote repair ships. Also, it seems some lower tier combat ships were buffed with additional ship bonuses as well.
Games are fun because of who you play them with.
If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#64 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Day 33, had me fishing off P9 in Hemin. (Nice night for it) There was a bunch of us on at the time and Caldak was setting everyone up for a cloaky bubble stakeout. I had never used a cloak before, so thought I was in for a quiet one, condemned to spectating what was going to transpire, due to my lack of skills. I discovered I could use a cloak, was provided one and set off on a new adventure. We were all sitting around a bubble, cloaked, while Caldak baited whoever came through the gate. The first tug on our line was a luckless Stabber Fleet Issue. I decloaked, assigned my drones to Caldak, locked the ship and double webbed and Scrammed him. He went down and so was my first experience fishing. The fellow was very good about it, with a pleasant "lol" in local. We managed to snare a Slicer also. Then came our Brutix kill. Gizz and Caldak were working as a ratter, collector team around P8 asteroid belt 3, which the Brutix found appealing, to it's detriment. We all warped in and so the ship was history. Couple of firsts for me tonight. Nice start to the week. Loteaus

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#65 Othran

Othran

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

Progressing nicely then. You couldn't wish for better people to teach you fishing - Caldak did much the same for me in Pure Blind a few years ago.
Today's word is :

#66 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Day 39, was a very eventful day. I have to admit, I was on from about 3 till DT. Having said that. I helped to kill: Vexor, Celestis,Corax, Cynabal, Scimitar, Hurricane, Vagabond, Arazu, Oracle and a Merlin. I lost a Vexor and Catalyst in the process. And that was in the last fight of the day. Great fun, great people, great day. What more could you want. Loteaus

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#67 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Day 41, had me carrying out my first successful tackle. Deran had scanned down a fellow in Doral, running a mission. The Rupture was sitting there, as I approached it and landed a successfully point. Toran provided a secondary point, which was a good thing, as when I turned off my overheat, on the point, I had turned the point off too. The rupture had launched drones, but they were unable to keep up with me. The Rupture initially started trying to hit me, but seemed to give up, when Deran arrived with the DPs. Toran pointed out that if I was to ever fly a similarly fit ship, as that Rupture, he would kick my backside. I had failed to tackle the previous scan down, so was pleased to have this success. The happy chappy was not long lived as he was to lose his Atron to an Enyo, while sitting around the gate, caught in two minds.Must remember to tell people that I've been aggressed, that I have got point and if I've died. Still hard to remember these things, when trying to figure out what is happening and what to do. I'll get there. Was happy again, when we chased a Dominix across Jorund, Hemin, RMOC, which ending in CL-85V. That was fun. Felt like I was saying sorry a lot tonight. Got to stop that and accept that I will make mistakes. Still doesn't feel good when you let other's down, with their possible expectations and where I think I should be and not doing things, the way I think I should at this stage. All good. The longer I'm in Agony Unleashed, the more I am enjoying it. I am seeing improvements, be they small ones. Thanks again guys, for putting up with me. :P Loteaus

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#68 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

Day 47, Caught a Hound at a bubble, in Hemin.

Was busy listening to the conversations that commonly occur in comms. I am often unable to be involved in these, as I know nothing. :huh: (great to listen to and you learn heaps). I noticed, out of the corner of my eye that something was in the bubble, just as Yamir said, "Are you going to get that Loteaus?" With a lock in progress, I engaged my MWD and approached the ship. As soon as I had lock I double webbed it, due to the longer range and then applied my scram, when I got closer. I proceeded to whittle it's defences down, with my Hammerhead 1's and my guns, accompanied by comments like, "Haven't you killed that yet?". I was later to discover that I had the wrong ammo in. Having done it by myself, I was really humble (not) in how I carried myself, for the next 10 minutes, (kind-of wish more people were on at the time) :wub:

Then there was another fight, about 5 minutes before DT. We had entered a system and had engaged the opposition. I helped take down the Curses and was working on an Osprey, when the server went down. During the wait, the guys, who were still on, were talking about if the gang would log in straight away or hope we would go away, before logging in. Thankfully the gang logged on at the same time we did and the fight continued. DP and I were able to bring the Osprey down and watch the remaining ships warp away.

The final chapter of the night had all Agony, that were on at the time, chasing a hapless Dominix across Curse and into Scalding Pass. Due to my lack of system knowledge I struggled to keep up with the group. The Dominix met it's doom, while I was still a system away. Deflated, due to missing the fight, I quietly followed the group back to Hemin. The problem was they had warped ahead and I wasn't sure which gate they went to. Also, a Proteus had aggressed me, so I power approached the gate and went back through the nearby gate. didn't want to be a burden to the group, so I remained silent. Like the great guys they are, Agony enquired if I was alright and hung around and helped me back to Hemin. That was nice and all, but kind of added to the realisation that I still have heaps to learn. :(

Bring it on.

Loteaus

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#69 ToranBrades

ToranBrades

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

As soon as I had lock I double webbed it, due to the longer range and then applied my scram, when I got closer.

While it's great you caught it, that's a big no-no-no! Never web a target first without pointing/scramming it, as you'll allow it to actually align and warp away faster this way (webs reduce the max speed, thus make you reach max speed faster if you had been accelerating before already in an unwebbed state).

As for the Domi chase and system knowledge - knowing it helps, sure, but a) having a map at hand (ingame, 2nd monitor or old-fashioned paper) and b ) quickly interjecting "What gate? Sorry!" would still work.

But we all learn most from our mistakes, right? And if things work out in the end anyway, it's even better.

#70 Alistone Malikite

Alistone Malikite

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Day 47,...

Then there was another fight, about 5 minutes before DT. We had entered a system and had engaged the opposition. I helped take down the Curses arbitrator and was working on an Osprey, when the server went down. During the wait, the guys, who were still on, were talking about if the gang would log in straight away or hope we would go away, before logging in. Thankfully the gang logged on at the same time we did and the fight continued. DP and I were able to bring the Osprey down and Alistone got the vexor watch the remaining blackbird and stabber ships warp away.

FTFY
Posted ImagePosted Image

#71 Othran

Othran

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

About time you guys got around to podding him mmm? Loteaus - you need to sort out maps. Everyone uses dotlan but few people print the maps. I date from the days of Ombey's maps so I have printed maps in the past. Basically if you don't have a second monitor then print some maps of surrounding regions. This is actually better in some ways (making notes) but you need to know where you're going as the "yellow brick road" is often the "welcome to the camp" route ;)
Today's word is :

#72 Alistone Malikite

Alistone Malikite

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

I date from the days of Ombey's maps so I have printed maps in the past.

Basically if you don't have a second monitor then print some maps of surrounding regions. This is actually better in some ways (making notes) but you need to know where you're going as the "yellow brick road" is often the "welcome to the camp" route ;)

A 2nd monitor makes a huge difference. Comparing my particpation in some BASIC fleets without a 2nd monitor and then later with a 2nd monitor having ombey maps and/or dotlan maps open made an amazing difference.

One "trick" for figuring out where people are in fleet is to use the fleet finder. Assuming we didn't hide the information (which for internal fleets we usually don't, though for larger fleets it probably won't be available). I open the fleet finder and set "boss location" as destination. Usually that will be within a system or two of the fleet.

Don't beat up on yourself about this; it is NOT easy to catch a dominix that has stabs & nanofibers in a (armor tanked) cruiser. The only way you close in is either through powerful computer loading grid faster and a couple seconds per solar system while the BS is aligning slightly slower than you. The frigates and dictor we finally caught him with all enter warp faster and warp faster than our 3AU/s meaning they could gain 5-15 seconds per system versus our 3-6 seconds per system.

Also, older characters have likely trained armor honeycombing (and other agility/spaceship command skills) which make it more possible to catch up to a nonfibered BS target in a cruiser.

Realistically, catching up to a BS in a cruiser is challenging. I'm glad we caught him in the end, but it was not a "pipe" for most systems, we did not "know" where he was going. We were making the best guesses we could based on the region. There is NO way to know which of the 3 or 4 outgates to go to without actually seeing the region map. And as I said above, you only gain a few seconds per system in a cruiser. One wrong warp and you have been set back 10-20 systems (essentially he gets away).

At the head of the chase we were calling systems; and sometimes sending faster ships to multiple outgates to confirm the route he was taking for our dictor. Loteaus & I in cruisers were left trying to keep up as best we could.

It was quite a good chase. And we were awarded with a kill :)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#73 Othran

Othran

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

It took me months to get used to dotlan maps after Ombey's maps - when I imagine Providence/Pure Blind/Venal I still see Ombey's maps rather than dotlan. Likewise Scalding Pass where I lived for a while - I can't get used to that dotlan map at all and frequently end up taking different routes to other people :rolleyes: I shudder to think what we'd do if dotlan closed tomorrow. Pretty crap really that after nearly 10 years the in-game map still sucks so badly :( A second monitor is a great help but provided you have the maps visible in some way you'll do much better. Worth noting that if you play on a laptop (I do) you can usually run the laptop screen and an external monitor at the same time. You should be able to extend the desktop to suit.
Today's word is :

#74 roigon

roigon

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

I always have dotlan open in the igb, scrolled up most of the time, but always only a double click away. If dotlan closes there will be a replacement within days. Dotlan now is simply too good to compete with, but if it was gone people would fill the gap.

#75 Carathas

Carathas
  • PipPip

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

I always have dotlan open in the igb, scrolled up most of the time, but always only a double click away.

I have got into the habit of having Dotlan open on my second screen running a 'Radar' session from my in game browser. I think I first discovered this feature when GreyGal perhaps used it on a BASIC class.

If you haven't used it before it is worth a look since it will always keep Dotlan open at your current location, therefore always showing you surrounding systems (even flicking automatically between regions). I find it to be a very useful feature when in unfamiliar territory. While less useful (and somewhat dangerous) you can share your Radar URL with others so that they can see where you are (and indeed where you have been).