Photo

GJ

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#151 Sever Aldaria

Sever Aldaria

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:31 AM

Only lost off the new AT winner ... not bad at all.

And we only lost to PL twice, Hydra lost to them 3 times, basic math thereby proves we're better than Hydra.

....right?

We also were bested by Hun Reloaded the year they won the tournament. AT... 6?

AT 4 I thought?

Correct

Posted Image

Local dropped by one

#152 AlarDarkwind

AlarDarkwind

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

Fantastic job ladies and gentlemen. Glad to see Agony not only still competing in the tournament but really shining this year. Best the corp has ever managed before was top 8. I am immensely happy for you all!

PS: So how is the Agony commercial coming for ATXII? :D

Posted Image

#153 Oweim

Oweim
  • PipPip

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

What everyone else has said, great performance by everyone in front of the camera and helping behind the scenes, really have people talking about you all now....

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
BASIC-20120310

#154 Foak

Foak

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:49 AM

Great work again this year! Haven't been in game for ages now but always like to check out the alliance tournaments each year and cheer you all on :)

Really entertaining stuff from Agony, and a really entertaining tournament this time as well. 

Posted Image

[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?34266.0] BASIC[/link] | [link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?52788] WOLFPACKS[/link] | [link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?70929] ADVANCED[/link]

#155 CampoV

CampoV

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

Great job and a joy to watch!

Campo

BASIC - 200907011900
WOLFPACKS - 200910242300
ADVANCED HSSR - 0805102300

#156 Temprial

Temprial

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

Great work again this year! Haven't been in game for ages now but always like to check out the alliance tournaments each year and cheer you all on :)

Really entertaining stuff from Agony, and a really entertaining tournament this time as well.

My young mentee returns!

#157 Fitch

Fitch

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

Caught up wit the matches and Wow! Fantastic stuff, simply awesome.

#158 John McGuirk

John McGuirk

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

I just wanted to tell you good luck. We're all counting on you.

#159 Maudite 9

Maudite 9

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Do we have clearance, Clarence?

"Across the fields the wagon swept; its cargo bounced and rolled and lept; the Gnome atop, his brow a-sweat, prayed to Heaven his mead had kept."

#160 Alistone Malikite

Alistone Malikite

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

Where's Victor Breau, we need a vector

And where is Eomar?  we need a frogger' roger.

Games are fun because of who you play them with.
If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#161 Oweim

Oweim
  • PipPip

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

Where's Victor Breau, we need a vector

And where is Eomar?  we need a frogger' roger.

The white zone is for loading and unloading only, there is no docking in the red zone...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
BASIC-20120310

#162 Sever Aldaria

Sever Aldaria

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

Been rewatching the first 3 matches of day 5 on youtube (Hun, RK, Ministry of Five-Toe Shoes). Each of them are very entertaining to watch plus all the talk about you in between in the pre-post commentators booth.

HUN Reloaded: My favorite. Starting off 1 point down with pressure to kill something and yet very professional discipline in holding back, slowly advancing together, getting into a more favorable position, and waiting for the right time to fully commit before charging. Tense build up but even when the fight is looking good as you kill support ships, you come SO CLOSE to losing your logi as you're racing to kill the tacklers keeping it pinned down. You acted in a very calculated controlled manner, spreading damps until you were ready to kill a support ship making it seem like they're holding okay, until you switch damps to the HUN logi to make him lose lock allowing you to blap it. Also brought a blingy flagship which everyone likes to see. Excellent excellent execuation and mad props from the commentators and post-match commentators.

Rote Kapell: Seemingly a very even match at the start but a bold move bringing a setup which had thus far appeared to have failed every time. Like CCP Rise commentated, "You know that tripple hyperion setup that has lost every single time? Well we're going to win with it." A nice big slug fest with lots of exploding ships trading battleship for battleship keeping the score fairly even for most of the match.

Ministry of Inappropriate Footwear Footwork: Surprising everybody by bringing a heavy missile kiting setup that nobody in the tournament had brought thus far. Excellent target priority in killing off their tacklers and even more impressive flying while avoiding an edge of glory boundary violation. Still not wanting the rest of the match to be boring by seeming like a sure win, one of your tengus gets caught and swatted swinging the points in favor of the Five-toe shoes and putting the pressure on to kill one of their big point ships with only a few minutes remaining. But you pull it off!

Each of your matches were hard-fought and well played each having tense moments and close calls that had me on the edge of my seat not at all certain of the outcome as they were all close. Pitty the final PL fight had to be slightly less exciting watching ECM jams/damps disabling practically all the dps (boring). Nevertheless, by far the best tourny showing Agony has given drawing lots of attention and drumming up lots of talk about you. Things like CCP Rise saying "Can we just talk about this? It didn't click in my head until just now but Agony is actually beating Hun Reloaded." The commentators talking about you being the underdogs and cheering for you and saying things like they love this Agony rags to riches story developing here.

Any chance of some tourny match AARs, thoughts, or highlights by some of the participants? What were some of the "oh shit" momments? Close calls? Most exciting or rewarding momment? :)

Posted Image

Local dropped by one

#163 Dior Saursi

Dior Saursi

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

How about, "Hey guys, this caracal doesn't have rigs or drones."

#164 Itkovian Beddict

Itkovian Beddict

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

Pretty sure I have that moment beat with (in match 2, first weekend) 'shit I just clicked Strip Fit instead of Change Name 5 minutes before the match...'.  If you wanted to hear a panicked team, that was it...

#165 Carenthor Loon

Carenthor Loon

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

Don't forget Eomar disconnecting 5(?) minutes before we were due to be moved, and us rushing to put another Domi together and get Silas in it tout de suite.
EVE is a dark and harsh world, you're supposed to feel a bit worried and slightly angry when you log in
CCP Wrangler

#166 Alistone Malikite

Alistone Malikite

I'm so glad we can laugh about that in hindsight.

I hope our tourney performance helps to change some persistent sentiment in the community that we are "just" a PVP training corp who fly frigates all the time.
Games are fun because of who you play them with.
If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#167 Itkovian Beddict

Itkovian Beddict

Don't forget Eomar disconnecting 5(?) minutes before we were due to be moved, and us rushing to put another Domi together and get Silas in it tout de suite.

Ah yeah that was fun...

It wasn't 5 minutes though - think it was at least 15 but it was more the fact he couldn't get back online and we had no way of getting his ship back....

#168 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

The moment during match 2 when I went out of bounds because a Hound was putting pressure on me.  Tried to run away, ended up flying out of bounds.  Then it hits me, *DUH* I should have just KILLED THE HOUND.  /me hangs head in shame... 

Thanks to that unglorious moment, however, I now finally "get it" on how to slingshot, and can actually slingshot successfully pretty consistently :)

What you do for yourself dies with you, what you do for others is immortal.

BASIC | WOLFPACKS | ADVANCED | HSSR | EYES OF THE KILLER | STEALTH BOMBRS | FLYBYS | SKIRMISHING | INTERMEDIATE

The only chance you get is the one you take.

Redemption Road - Free Public Roams and Other Events!

Public Chat: Redemption Road - Mailing List: Redemption Roams

Roc’s Rule #286:  A real friend never lets you do anything stupid … alone.

m3gAb3q.png

#169 Sever Aldaria

Sever Aldaria

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

Pretty sure I have that moment beat with (in match 2, first weekend) 'shit I just clicked Strip Fit instead of Change Name 5 minutes before the match...'.  If you wanted to hear a panicked team, that was it...

Bahahaha! Stuff like that is hilarious! Only after the win ofcourse. If it was followed by a loss then it would be more tragic than comical. :)

Posted Image

Local dropped by one

#170 Sever Aldaria

Sever Aldaria

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

The moment during match 2 when I went out of bounds because a Hound was putting pressure on me.  Tried to run away, ended up flying out of bounds.  Then it hits me, *DUH* I should have just KILLED THE HOUND.  /me hangs head in shame... 

Thanks to that unglorious moment, however, I now finally "get it" on how to slingshot, and can actually slingshot successfully pretty consistently :)

Do you feel like you've learned a lot from participating in this tournament? :) 

Posted Image

Local dropped by one

#171 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

Do you feel like you've learned a lot from participating in this tournament? :)

VERY much so.  It has been an absolutely invaluable experience for me, it has widened my understanding of so many ships, ship types, how they interact (or don't), theorycrafting threads are no longer just Greek to me, it's just expanded my scope of understanding beyond description.  As someone who enjoys dabbling in FCing, the understandings I have gained will definitely provide the most direct benefit to me when I am in that role.   It pushed me to think outside the box in a more directed fashion, too :)  

I still gotta stop sucking, of course... still so much to learn, always :)

What you do for yourself dies with you, what you do for others is immortal.

BASIC | WOLFPACKS | ADVANCED | HSSR | EYES OF THE KILLER | STEALTH BOMBRS | FLYBYS | SKIRMISHING | INTERMEDIATE

The only chance you get is the one you take.

Redemption Road - Free Public Roams and Other Events!

Public Chat: Redemption Road - Mailing List: Redemption Roams

Roc’s Rule #286:  A real friend never lets you do anything stupid … alone.

m3gAb3q.png

#172 Tay

Tay

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

> Do you feel like you've learned a lot from participating in this tournament? :)

Jumping on that too. HELL YES!

It was great. Training with the same setup several times in a row teaches so much more than having random fights against random opponents. You can really figure out what exactly to do better, try that, tweak it and see how to match char skills, ship fit and actual flying skills better.

Also being stuffed in ships I had never flown before was surprising. Some of them are awesome. I gonna have to get a few Caracal :D

#173 Eomar

Eomar

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

Ah yeah that was fun...

It wasn't 5 minutes though - think it was at least 15 but it was more the fact he couldn't get back online and we had no way of getting his ship back....

At least I still had voice comms even if Eve was going into offline mode so could call it right away. And yes, comms were very tense for a few minutes as we assembled a backup ship & implant set while I frantically tried to bypass the malfunctioning launcher. Fortunately I was in my ship and ready to go, as logging back in had Jita full message and needed to login to one of the adjacent systems!

#174 Foak

Foak

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:37 AM

My young mentee returns!
Hey temp! Very tempted to come back after watching the tournament and seeing lots of familiar names on the forums!

Just watched the HUN match again, one of the best moments in the tourney. Not rushing in and waiting for jams on logistics (I guess) was a complete class act. As well as sound waves reaction:

And that was HUN reloaded knocking out Agony Empi... Wait a .... Whoa! :)

Sounded like you had a lot of respect from the commentators in general and from Pl as they didn't look like they wanted to underestimate you. Would also love to see some aar's!

Posted Image

[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?34266.0] BASIC[/link] | [link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?52788] WOLFPACKS[/link] | [link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?70929] ADVANCED[/link]

#175 Temprial

Temprial

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

My young mentee returns!
Hey temp! Very tempted to come back after watching the tournament and seeing lots of familiar names on the forums!

Just watched the HUN match again, one of the best moments in the tourney. Not rushing in and waiting for jams on logistics (I guess) was a complete class act. As well as sound waves reaction:

And that was HUN reloaded knocking out Agony Empi... Wait a .... Whoa! :)

Sounded like you had a lot of respect from the commentators in general and from Pl as they didn't look like they wanted to underestimate you. Would also love to see some aar's!

If you do decide to come back, hit me up and I will help you get back up to speed.

I'm sure some AAR info will be released soon.