Photo

[Poll] Would you be interested in a Dscan Seminar?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you be interested in a dscanner seminar? (60 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you be interested in a dscanner seminar?

1. Yes! I want to know more! (55 votes [88.71%])

Percentage of vote: 88.71%

2. No, I'm already a pro (1 votes [1.61%])

Percentage of vote: 1.61%

3. I'd only come if we get to pew-pew after (5 votes [8.06%])

Percentage of vote: 8.06%

4. Dscanner? What's that? (1 votes [1.61%])

Percentage of vote: 1.61%

Vote

#1 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

So I have this idea of offering a dscan seminar to our fabulous Alumni, or possibly even open to the public. Would cover using your dscanner, from the most basic use of it to higher-level stalking err I mean scanning techniques :) Most likely, it would consist of a combination of reading material (with lovely screenshots and short videos), a lecture portion, question/answers, followed by practical exercises (i.e., we'd split up, hide and find each other). Probably take 2 to 3 hours total. Before I spend a bunch of free time organizing this, I figured I'd run a quick poll and see how many would be interested in attending something like this. So, if Agony were to offer a single-topic seminar like this, just on using your dscanner, would you be interested in attending?

What you do for yourself dies with you, what you do for others is immortal.

BASIC | WOLFPACKS | ADVANCED | HSSR | EYES OF THE KILLER | STEALTH BOMBRS | FLYBYS | SKIRMISHING | INTERMEDIATE

The only chance you get is the one you take.

Redemption Road - Free Public Roams and Other Events!

Public Chat: Redemption Road - Mailing List: Redemption Roams

Roc’s Rule #286:  A real friend never lets you do anything stupid … alone.

m3gAb3q.png

#2 Jysella

Jysella

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:18 AM

I would consider myself passable at using the scanner, but I know my time in highsec (where its usefulness is diminished) has dulled my already paltry skills. A few hours now to save countless missed targets later sounds like a good exchange to me. :)
BASIC-20120108 WOLFPACKS-20120420 COVOPS-20130420
"Pretty. What do we blow up first?"

Yes, this is my freighter. No, I won't help you move.

#3 Silivay

Silivay

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:52 AM

Yes, definately. Any tips to speed me up would be great. I am kind'a waiting for the skirmishers class again; how much scanning tutorial is in that class?
“Moros' are like dinosaur, you have to hold really still.” ― Deran Francks
BASIC-20101226 * WOLFPACKS-20101228 * FLYBYS-20110212 * COVOPS-20110219 * ADVANCED-20111216

#4 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

I would consider myself passable at using the scanner, but I know my time in highsec (where its usefulness is diminished) has dulled my already paltry skills. A few hours now to save countless missed targets later sounds like a good exchange to me. :)

Back in the days when I still occasionally ran missions, I found the dscanner quite helpful in watching my back for incoming ninja looters :) And, of course, it can be helpful for ninja looters... not that I ever did that!

What you do for yourself dies with you, what you do for others is immortal.

BASIC | WOLFPACKS | ADVANCED | HSSR | EYES OF THE KILLER | STEALTH BOMBRS | FLYBYS | SKIRMISHING | INTERMEDIATE

The only chance you get is the one you take.

Redemption Road - Free Public Roams and Other Events!

Public Chat: Redemption Road - Mailing List: Redemption Roams

Roc’s Rule #286:  A real friend never lets you do anything stupid … alone.

m3gAb3q.png

#5 Fitch

Fitch

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

Very interested. The proposed syllabus as outlined sounds perfect for someone like myself who struggles, a lot in all honesty, to get near a POS whilst practising with d-scan.

#6 Marvin

Marvin

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

I'm fairly comfortable with the D-scanner although if it's public I'd really punt it to my corp's newer members... Even just Agony quality material and vids would be great to point newer recruits to. It'll speed up the learning curve...

#7 ROX Genghis

ROX Genghis

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

I think I know how to Dscan, but I'll bet Greygal knows some tricks I don't. And I've heard good things about her internal d-scanning practice sessions. So +1 if Agony can attend :)

#8 Vjorn

Vjorn

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

Living in w-space, myself, I also know many uses of the D-Scan....however when I exit into null, I find that I am slower than frozen tree sap. So, +1 here for tips/tricks.

#9 Sancho

Sancho

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

I am in. And I can help you with written material if you want it.
Fight them, sure.
Fight to win, always.
Just don't be dicks about it, as usual.

glepp

#10 Rylia

Rylia

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

Count me in Gigi! Whatever assistance you need let me know!

#11 Jysella

Jysella

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

Back in the days when I still occasionally ran missions, I found the dscanner quite helpful in watching my back for incoming ninja looters :) And, of course, it can be helpful for ninja looters... not that I ever did that!

...Mission...? What is this "mission"? Are there npcs that will pay me to blow people up? Real people, not these "rats" I hear about all the time?
Seriously though, the d-scanner is quite easy to evade in a highsec war. Pick a system with at least 20 neutrals in it. Once you've been caught once, rename your ship. For bonus difficulty, reship entirely. The larger local is the easier it is to lose pursuit, especially if you fly a popular carebearing ship.
BASIC-20120108 WOLFPACKS-20120420 COVOPS-20130420
"Pretty. What do we blow up first?"

Yes, this is my freighter. No, I won't help you move.

#12 Goodvibes

Goodvibes

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:32 PM

D-Scan is by far the most perishable skill in the game, so +1, always.

pEGjqYG.jpg

#13 Lennox Sinclair

Lennox Sinclair
  • Pip

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

Right now I know how to use dscan defensively to maintain peripheral awareness, but I am not so good at using it offensively to track people down and take the fight to them. I'd be more than willing to dedicate an afternoon or such to furthering my knowledge in the use of the directional scanner.

#14 Mr M

Mr M

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

Yesh, I always enjoy seminars.

Posted Image

#15 Brititos

Brititos

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

+100 and shout if you need a hand to make it happen
But seriously, avoid PB, it's nothing but a headache with 8 alliances trying to blue each other and pew pew each other as well... bloody mess

#16 Vora

Vora

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

You're never too old to learn new tricks. My d-scanning feels painfully slow, so I'd be very grateful to learn a trick or two.

#17 Sar Hasarin

Sar Hasarin

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

Yes, yes and yes again.

#18 Hitonme

Hitonme
  • Pip

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

I can use D-Scan reasonably well and have attended several E-uni classes to keep my skills up. However, I am always interested in practicing scanning skills and I am open to learning new tips and techniques, this gets a +1 from me, time and date dependent ofc. Going for a roam to do some pew pew afterwards would be a nice added bonus even though it conflicts with my E-uni obligations :ph34r:

#19 Othran

Othran

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

Not voted in poll. My dscan sucks or rocks and the suckage level is down to lack of use. Currently it sucks but I know how to do it. The mechanics are simple enough - I'm sure there's some tips and tricks which can be communicated but the bottom line is how much you use it. Internal to Agony I am sure there's some lads and lasses who do enough solo to meet the "entry reqs" for dscan/Agony core easy peazey lemon squeezey. I'm also equally certain that most of Agony core couldn't scan anything much inside the time limit - were they tested now of course. I include prominent members here too ;) I think your idea is excellent GG but if I want to brush up on dscan then I can do it with a cloakie in Hed constellation. tl;dr its a good idea but best scanners are lowsec solo(ish) scanners
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#20 Itkovian Beddict

Itkovian Beddict

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

I'm also equally certain that most of Agony core couldn't scan anything much inside the time limit - were they tested now of course.

I doubt it.

#21 ToranBrades

ToranBrades

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

DSCANning should become your default order if you think "I've got nothing to do - it's a general tool for situational awareness, not just to "pinpoint an enemy ship to a location" - it will also reveal enemy movements, warn you of incoming dangers etc. And of course you will realize that the enemy can use it exactly the same way, keeping you aware of what he will be able to guess from your actions. Don't think of DSCAN just as "I will be able to locate a ship in xx minutes"...

#22 Xolanie

Xolanie
  • PipPip

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

My DSCAN skills sux, I need all the help I can get!! The main thing that put me off applying to Agony before I joined UKC was the dreaded DSCAN test!!!

#23 Freerunner

Freerunner

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

Yes please! Gots a big wad of ISK to reward your efforts.

#24 Dior Saursi

Dior Saursi

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

Not voted in poll. My dscan sucks or rocks and the suckage level is down to lack of use. Currently it sucks but I know how to do it.

The mechanics are simple enough - I'm sure there's some tips and tricks which can be communicated but the bottom line is how much you use it.

Internal to Agony I am sure there's some lads and lasses who do enough solo to meet the "entry reqs" for dscan/Agony core easy peazey lemon squeezey. I'm also equally certain that most of Agony core couldn't scan anything much inside the time limit - were they tested now of course. I include prominent members here too ;)

I think your idea is excellent GG but if I want to brush up on dscan then I can do it with a cloakie in Hed constellation.

tl;dr its a good idea but best scanners are lowsec solo(ish) scanners

You sure about that? In any regard? I would wager most members of agony could pass the scan test without an issue. As it was said, d-scans aren't purely for locating a target, they can show range, direction, convey various forms of intel. If you feel it won't be valuable to you, fantastic, but some people could use assistance.

#25 Petra

Petra

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

you're never to old to learn new tricks------------ count me as +1
Basic - 20110726
Wolfpack -20110917