Photo

Re: Covops Nov 19/20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#26 Silas

Silas

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:17 AM

I vote Manticore. That's the only one I have trained, and I'm currently remapped away from perception and willpower...

Edit: wait I can being a manticore and just do less damage if another bomb type is selected, right?

You are correct.

Posted Image

In wildness is the preservation of the world,

so seek the wolf in thyself

#27 Aethena

Aethena

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:55 AM

Speaking of which, when ARE sign-ups???

Seconding this! For epic forum camping! :blink:

I too would love to know this, oh the suspense...

I assume it will be the same as other classes - the week before, so somewhere around 12 November.

I'm hoping it's earlier than that. Earlier would make sense, since people may need to train specific skills for the class that they otherwise might not be training (and can be fairly long). I know that if I didn't get in, I would go back to my 'normal' skill plan.

Plus I'm going to be in an airplane over the Pacific for most of that weekend, and I'll lose a day because of the stoopid international dateline! So if signups open that weekend, I'm outta luck heh :P

PLEASE make signups open the weekend of 29/30 October!!!!
*throws self at Caldak's feet, begging*

#28 Vora

Vora

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

Best prize ever now eh? :)

Indeed.
At first I thought Caldak has a fine sense of humour to award me a free course (if you look at my signature).
Now I will never doubt the wisdom of the people who live upside down and drive on the wrong side...

#29 Othran

Othran

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

Best prize ever now eh? :)

Indeed.
At first I thought Caldak has a fine sense of humour to award me a free course (if you look at my signature).
Now I will never doubt the wisdom of the people who live upside down and drive on the wrong side...

Don't speak too soon, he may have evil plans for you :P
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#30 Kalar Freno

Kalar Freno

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:39 PM

The link to the "Surviving in a Stealth Bomber" wiki page is blocked, so we can't read it to determine suggested prerequisites.

This link has now been unlocked (at least I can read it anyway). However, it doesn't have any information regarding prerequisites. I guess Caldak's guidelines will have to do :P

#31 Kheket

Kheket
  • Pip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

This is going to close, I really want to participate in this class, but even with +5's and optimized attributes I'd be looking at 35 days instead of 37 days training time. Can anyone recommend anything? Or what skills are dire to have for the actual class. 1. Electronics Upgrades IV (22 hours, 3 minutes, 23 seconds) 2. Electronics Upgrades V (9 days, 7 hours, 38 seconds) 3. Signature Analysis IV (19 hours, 42 minutes, 41 seconds) 4. Multitasking I (23 minutes, 48 seconds) 5. Cloaking IV (4 days, 22 hours, 16 minutes, 11 seconds) 6. Missile Launcher Operation V (3 days, 8 hours, 44 minutes, 42 seconds) 7. Missile Bombardment I (11 minutes, 29 seconds) 8. Missile Bombardment II (53 minutes, 32 seconds) 9. Missile Bombardment III (5 hours, 2 minutes, 46 seconds) 10. Missile Bombardment IV (1 day, 4 hours, 32 minutes, 52 seconds) 11. Bomb Deployment I (22 minutes, 59 seconds) 12. Covert Ops I (24 minutes, 41 seconds) 13. Covert Ops II (1 hour, 54 minutes, 59 seconds) 14. Covert Ops III (10 hours, 50 minutes, 26 seconds) 15. Covert Ops IV (2 days, 13 hours, 19 minutes, 30 seconds) 16. Warp Drive Operation IV (17 hours, 41 seconds) 17. Astrometric Rangefinding I (1 hour, 3 minutes, 29 seconds) 18. Astrometric Rangefinding II (4 hours, 55 minutes, 40 seconds) 19. Astrometric Rangefinding III (1 day, 3 hours, 52 minutes, 34 seconds) 20. Astrometric Pinpointing I (39 minutes, 40 seconds) 21. Astrometric Pinpointing II (3 hours, 4 minutes, 49 seconds) 22. Astrometric Pinpointing III (17 hours, 25 minutes, 20 seconds) 23. Astrometric Acquisition I (39 minutes, 40 seconds) 24. Astrometric Acquisition II (3 hours, 4 minutes, 49 seconds) 25. Astrometric Acquisition III (17 hours, 25 minutes, 20 seconds) 26. Target Navigation Prediction II (53 minutes, 32 seconds) 27. Target Navigation Prediction III (5 hours, 2 minutes, 46 seconds) 28. Target Navigation Prediction IV (1 day, 4 hours, 32 minutes, 52 seconds) 29. Rapid Launch III (5 hours, 2 minutes, 46 seconds) 30. Rapid Launch IV (1 day, 4 hours, 32 minutes, 52 seconds) 31. Missile Projection I (22 minutes, 59 seconds) 32. Missile Projection II (1 hour, 47 minutes, 3 seconds) 33. Heavy Missiles I (17 minutes, 14 seconds) 34. Heavy Missiles II (1 hour, 20 minutes, 17 seconds) 35. Heavy Missiles III (7 hours, 34 minutes, 11 seconds) 36. Torpedoes I (22 minutes, 59 seconds) 37. Torpedoes II (1 hour, 47 minutes, 3 seconds) 38. Torpedoes III (10 hours, 5 minutes, 35 seconds) 39. Torpedoes IV (2 days, 9 hours, 5 minutes, 44 seconds) 40. Cruise Missiles I (28 minutes, 44 seconds) 41. Cruise Missiles II (2 hours, 13 minutes, 50 seconds) 42. Cruise Missiles III (12 hours, 36 minutes, 57 seconds) 43. Cruise Missiles IV (2 days, 23 hours, 22 minutes, 11 seconds) Total time: 37 days, 14 hours, 26 minutes, 35 seconds; Completion: 12/1/2011 3:05:12 AM

#32 John McGuirk

John McGuirk

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

At a glance I'd lose Cruise missiles, as stealth bombers can only fit Torpedo Launchers? Edit: I didn't actually check to see what was a prereq for the class, but are we planning to probe with our SBs? If not, you may be able to lose the probing skills as well.

#33 Kheket

Kheket
  • Pip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:13 PM

At a glance I'd lose Cruise missiles, as stealth bombers can only fit Torpedo Launchers?

Edit: I didn't actually check to see what was a prereq for the class, but are we planning to probe with our SBs? If not, you may be able to lose the probing skills as well.

Skills

Electronics Upgrades 5
Caldari, Amarr, Gallente or Minmatar Frigate 5
Covert Ops 4 (preferably 5)
Electronics 5
Cloaking 4+
Warp Drive Operation 4+
Evasive Maneuvering 4+
Navigation 4+
Astrometrics 4+
Astrometric Rangefinding 3+
Astrometric Pinpointing 3+
Astrometric Acquisition 3+

those are req skills under cov-ops but i just realized this is purely a SB class instead of the usual cov-ops.

#34 Othran

Othran

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:03 AM

Edit: I didn't actually check to see what was a prereq for the class, but are we planning to probe with our SBs? If not, you may be able to lose the probing skills as well.

I wouldn't think that's likely. Fitting a bomb launcher, covops cloak and 3 Arbalest seige in highs will cause you enough fitting headaches. Another 210 cpu for a sisters expanded probe launcher is way past headache territory and into "where is my faction bling can, see if any of that fits" land ;)

tl;dr bombs+probes = yes; torps+probes = yes; bombs+torps+probes = no (you're heading past 400cpu just on high slots).
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#35 Caldak

Caldak

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:37 AM

Will list what I would say is a minimum. I'd say Covert Ops 5 is best Value Bomb Deployment is a so-so skill - 3 to 4 is more than enough The rest depends on how you use it. I like Cyno Field Theory at 5 for covert Cyno's -> this goes well with Recon Skill. Torps st Spec skill is handy for range. All support things like Damp, Target Paint are good to have. So going to list the skills needed, if we do run the normal scanning material to make you a feared pilot <- giving this a thought. Will update.

Anne Bonney, a notorious pirate in her own right, told her husband, Calico Jack Bonney, as he was captured by pirate hunters,
“if you'd have fought like a man you needn't hang like a dog”.

Done some class's

#36 Cynn Ayres

Cynn Ayres
  • PipPip

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

I am looking forward to a recommendation for skill training, I am just finished up the covops training list posted else where have 15days left on covops V. For bombers what would you recommend to add in addition to the covops skills?

#37 Caldak

Caldak

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:34 AM

If you going to use it is the big question, Torps? Really depends on the use of the skills you train.

Anne Bonney, a notorious pirate in her own right, told her husband, Calico Jack Bonney, as he was captured by pirate hunters,

Done some class's

#38 Othran

Othran

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:39 AM

If you're going to be using a bomber even semi-regularly then here's my random thoughts : Cloaking 4 - pre-req for covops cloak; Cynosural Field Theory 5 - needed for covert cyno field, can only be used on bombers, covops, blackops & force recon; Signature Focusing 4 - gives 5% bonus to painters sig radius multiplier, great bonus for very little training time; Bomb Deployment 4 - allows usage of all types of bombs, for the class then L1 allows you to use all damage bomb types; Torps 5 and spec L4 - gives you all the options you need for torps; Missile Bombardment 5 Missile Projection 5 Rapid Launch 5 Target Nav Prediction 5 Warhead Upgrades 5 Covert Ops 5 Obviously you'll need decent nav/support skills but I reckon if you have all the skills above at L4 (L5 for Covert Ops if possible) then you'll do fine in a bomber. Torps 4 is normally fine unless you need long-range T2 torps, I never have so far and Arbalest siege launchers are way easier to fit than T2 siege. Edit - for solo bombers then Arbalests are the normal fit as you need a little tank for drones. I suspect for this class that the extra cpu which the T2 launchers use might be better used on paints/damps/etc but I'm looking forward to finding out. HTH.
Today's word is :

#39 roigon

roigon

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

Caldak, I imagine this might still be partially in your head, but if you would, could you give some key point of what you are going to be actively handling in class?

Because if there is going to be a heavy focus on covery cyno and bombing runs, I'm probably not all that interested. (WH pilot in a small corp, I won't be firing a cyno any time soon, covert or not)

If it's going to be heavy focus on SB combat in general, positioning and movement. Perhaps with some bombing thrown in. Then I'm certainly interested.

Normally I wouldn't mind much, It's not like I'll find myself in a 20+ pack of trashers or t1 frigates any time soon, but SB's are near and dear to my heart because of the extensive use they get in WH's to be a dick to other people*. (although I did just switch to pilgrim for that, to be able to be a dick to even more people)

[*] Blowing up people doing PI, and hopefully one day finding that pack of suckers that don't pre-align their noctis when fleet warping.

#40 Caldak

Caldak

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

Its a broad approach with examples of each. The roam part will be to show the strengths of 3 ways of use. Thats if we get Targets. 1 - Bombing run 2 - Tackling and scanning 3 - Killing with torps 4 - Scouting, gate camp running.

Done some class's

#41 Othran

Othran

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

Its a broad approach with examples of each.
The roam part will be to show the strengths of 3 ways of use. Thats if we get Targets.

1 - Bombing run
2 - Tackling and scanning
3 - Killing with torps
4 - Scouting, gate camp running.

Is it worthwhile starting up a thread in Student Lounge with some bomber fits? I think it probably is, gives people something to talk/think about....

Linkage
Today's word is :

#42 roigon

roigon

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

The roam part will be to show the strengths of 3 ways of use. Thats if we get Targets.

1 - Bombing run
3 - Killing with torps

Thanks, that sounds wonderful, I'll be trying to get a spot.

#43 Xel Set

Xel Set
  • PipPip

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:49 PM

1 - Bombing run
3 - Killing with torps

Really looking forward to this class.

#44 Cynn Ayres

Cynn Ayres
  • PipPip

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:14 AM

Is something like this what we are expected to fly for the class? [Hound, Famine] Ballistic Control System II Amplitude Signal Enhancer Ballistic Control System II Catalyzed Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters Phased Muon Sensor Disruptor I Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron 'Arbalest' Siege Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Bane Torpedo 'Arbalest' Siege Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Bane Torpedo 'Arbalest' Siege Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Bane Torpedo Covert Ops Cloaking Device II Expanded Probe Launcher I, Core Scanner Probe I /OFFLINE Small Hydraulic Bay Thrusters I Small Hydraulic Bay Thrusters I

#45 Andrei

Andrei
  • PipPip

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

Well this turned out a bit confusing... I didn't notice that the SB/CovOps classes were mutually exclusive until today (my fault for not lurking enough, probably), the descriptions aren't really equivocal (so it's hard to decide which to take), the SB class shows no signs of opening for enrollment (while the CovOps is full as of now), and it's kinda scary knowing that these classes don't seem to happen very often. Cheers for doing what you guys do, because I really do enjoy it quite a lot, but this one seems to be a bit of a mess going out the gate. Here's to hoping that running these classes twice as often is a part of your new plan... ~Andrei.

#46 dzu

dzu

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

Class opening on the 12th Nov @ 22:00

The November Stealth Frigate class and roam is a bit of an experiment, so there will be a few bumps along the way. Yes, they've got different open dates . . . but the good news is that the SB class will open next weekend, so if you missed the CovOps sign-up with its limited number of seats, you can still get in on the SB class. We will combine the two classes for some of the lecture material, and run the roam all together . . . with CovOps and SB pilots performing different roles in fleet.

#47 Andrei

Andrei
  • PipPip

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, I did see the signup date bit after I posted (of course). I guess I'm just confused about what is going on in the SB class. In fact, I found more information about the content of the SB class in the CovOps thread than in the SB thread. Thanks for helping clear up the dates thing, though. ~Andrei.

#48 Alain Kinsella

Alain Kinsella
  • PipPip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

Since the class thread is locked... Any update when the CovOps wiki pages will be opened up? I'd like to review the fits and pre-practice on probing technique if needed (I certainly don't do that as quickly as I probably should). If its just me, note my userid is not the same as my display name.

BASIC-20091104 | WOLFPACKS-20101228 | COVOPS - 20111119

Past MMO experience (Second Life / Myst Online) does not influence interest in PvP.

Don't assume, ever.

The Kind Healer - Ambassador from Uru

#49 dzu

dzu

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

Since the class thread is locked...

Any update when the CovOps wiki pages will be opened up? I'd like to review the fits and pre-practice on probing technique if needed (I certainly don't do that as quickly as I probably should).

If its just me, note my userid is not the same as my display name.

Access should be sorted. PM Deran if you still can't get in.

#50 Petra

Petra

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

Is the Cov-ops going to be on SiSi as well as the Bomber class? I assume we are doing Sisi because it has the winter expansion loaded Petra
Basic - 20110726
Wolfpack -20110917