Photo

Training Optimization

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alistone Malikite

Alistone Malikite

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:50 AM

I was crunching some numbers on skill training and thought I'd share some results.

During the week you may spend your time in an implanted "learning clone" versus a "jump clone" (that you probably don't waste the isk putting implants into because you're PVPing.)

For simplicity I'll assume that everyone here has +4 implants for every attribute in their learning clone.

For any skill you train your implants will give you +4 primary +4/2 secondary additional skillpoints per hour (plus 10% for Learning V). This works out to a simple 6.6SP/minute or 396 SP/hour. This bonus from being in your learning clone applies to ANY skill you train because you have +4 to every attribute from your implants so will have +4 primary and +4 secondary.

This "fixed" SP implant bonus means that no matter what skill you train you're missing out on 396 SP every hour; 9504 SP every day you're not in your Learning clone.

But... If you think of it like speeding...
You can go a "fixed" 10 MPH over the speed limit (with your implants in)
Then in a 10MPH speed limit street the extra 10MPH (from implants) will shorten your trip a LOT. So now instead of 10MPH you can go 20MPH and it will cut your trip in half. It will shorten your trip by 50%.

Compare that to a speed limit of 30MPH where being able to go 40MPH will only shorten your trip by 25%

The "speed limit" is determined by your base attributes. The higher your relevant primary and secondary base attributes for a skill the faster your effective "speed limit".

You're better off learning your slowest SP/hour skills when in a learning clone. And the other part of that is you're better off learning your fastest SP/hour skills when your in a PVP clone.

Utility often takes priority... and I'm not suggesting you train any skill you don't need. Rather, I'm offering a method of prioritizing some skills you need to train to finish your queue more quickly. Taking advantage of this when you can should help speed your skills journey over time.
Games are fun because of who you play them with.
If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Sever Aldaria

Sever Aldaria

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:55 AM

Interesting conclusion. Thanks for the number crunching and the tips. :)
Posted Image

Local dropped by one

#3 Baka Lakadaka

Baka Lakadaka

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

To use your analogy, if you go at 40 MPH you're still going to get there in half the time as opposed to doing 20 MPH. You're better off doing the faster speed limit all the time, getting the benefit from those skills quickly and then moving to the slower skills, rather than having two things half done. I know neural re-mapping is only every 12 months, but you could wait and speed those slower skills up considerably. I'd counsel to keep things reasonably balanced, unless you have a strict plan goal that lasts the whole year (like I thought I did when I did my remap, but then I found there were some other things I wanted to do).
Posted Image

#4 Alistone Malikite

Alistone Malikite

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:48 AM

EDIT: Post was too long...must shorten...make easier to read:

Baka is correct => if you have a queue that will last 1 year (until you can remap again) that you can fill with skills that you can learn very quickly it is best to train them all while you're attributes are focused on them.

=====================================
Like Baka, I found other skills (that I was not optimized for) kept finding their way into my queue:
I completely agree with Baka:
balance your attributes if you don't have a specific year long plan.

But if your queue is more diverse or you have skill training ADD (like me), then using this to prioritizes skills in your queue to designate the slower training ones for training while in a learning clone and the faster training ones for training while not in a learning clone will speed the overall completion of your queue.

Just like learning skills; partially trained skills do make you put off other skills you could be finishing first and putting into action. But, over the long term postponing those skills to optimize learning while in/out of a clone will decrease the time it takes to train all the skills you want. Try to think of switching skills while not in a learning clone as similar to spending time training your learning skills.

Losing the 9500 SP (by not having implants for 24 hours) for a skill that I learn at 1500 sp/hour I lose 6.33 hours (9500/1500).

Losing the 9500 SP (by not having implants for 24 hours) of a skill I learn at 2400 SP/hour than I only lose 3.96 hours (9500/2400).

(You "lose out on" SP for the skill you're training without implants)

The higher the SP/hr of the skill you're training without implants reduces your time "cost".
PVP'ers may look at it from the other perspective of "gaining extra" SP for whatever skill they train with implants because they usually don't have implants.

Its really the same logic:
Training a 1500 sp/hour skill with implants "saves" you 6.33 hours of training (9500/1500).

Training a 2400 sp/hour skill with implants "saves" you only 3.96 hours of training (9500/2400).

The lower the SP/hr of the skill your training with implants increases your time "saved".

This is the extreme case, And more of a benefit to people who didn't balance their attributes well. If your attributes are better balanced the time savings will not be as dramatic.
On another observation regarding the advanced learning skills that take a long time to pay back:

If you spend most of your time without implants you should be aware that the advanced learning skills are more valuable for you than those who use implants all the time.

Implants raise your base attribute. But the rate at which your training is increased depends on where they were to start:

If you have a attribute of 20 (15+5implants) then +1 from an additional adv. learning skill is only worth (1/(20+1)) 4.76% faster training.

If you didn't have the implants then +1 from the adv learning skill is worth (1/(15+1)) 6.25% faster training.

This improved payback rate is proportional to greater % training speed increase means a faster payback period (6.25/4.76 => 20-25% faster payback).

The Adv. Learning skills often take 2-3 weeks to train from lvl 4 to lvl 5 and it usually takes 2-3 years for this to pay itself back. This faster payback rate makes should provide more incentive to train those adv. learning skills to V for PVPers.

======================================

I need a job that pays me to look at numbers...I already play with them just for fun. :heart:
Games are fun because of who you play them with.
If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong.
Posted ImagePosted Image