31 replies to this topic

#1 Aether

Aether

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:08 AM

that's right, this is how hardcore we mac users are :P take that pc users lol
apple's new mouse: Llinkage
Basic-2911082100 | Wolfpacks-2802091800 | Advanced -0404091800

it was only yesterday's sacrifices that made today's disappointments possible
"What is done out of lulz always takes place beyond good and evil" - Friedrich Nietzsche

#2 Silas

Silas

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:41 AM

I like the idea... not sure how swiping on a moving object will work though, but apple usually have their usability testing thoroughly done. There are still a lot of things that keep me from using a Mac as a primary (or only) computer, but I am seriously concidering getting one as a travel companion. It sure is sexxxeh :P

Posted Image

In wildness is the preservation of the world,

so seek the wolf in thyself

#3 Caldak

Caldak

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:45 AM

Had to be Apple

Anne Bonney, a notorious pirate in her own right, told her husband, Calico Jack Bonney, as he was captured by pirate hunters,
“if you'd have fought like a man you needn't hang like a dog”.

Done some class's

#4 Skrewed

Skrewed

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:03 PM

Already have one on order.

#5 Meldgaard

Meldgaard

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:03 PM

Interesting

Do you got one? and if you do how is it to use?
Posted Image

Deran Francks > And we really don't operate with reds/blues etc. To be honest, feel free to set us red - it means more fights for us.

#6 Ged Hawkins

Ged Hawkins

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:06 PM

Semi-rabid Apple fan here... Wish I had an excuse to get a new 27" iMac. But, I hope the new mouse is better than the previous 'Mighty mouse', which I despised. For those concerned about having only Mac OS X, remember you can always just set up a second partition and dual boot into Windows. Virtualization is also an option.
Ged Hawkins - Ged Hawkins (AGONY)

[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?106169]Basic - 170120091500[/link] | [link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?113601]Wolfpacks - 2802091800[/link] | [link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?116729]Advanced - 0404091800[/link]

#7 Aether

Aether

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:27 PM

Had to be Apple

my point exactly !lol

Interesting

Do you got one? and if you do how is it to use?

no, not yet, as they just came out ... as soon as I end up somewhere in vicinity of an apple store I am going to go check it out
if you got an apple store near where you live they will probably have one on demo

"What is done out of lulz always takes place beyond good and evil" - Friedrich Nietzsche

#8 Silas

Silas

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:35 PM

Semi-rabid Apple fan here... Wish I had an excuse to get a new 27" iMac.

But, I hope the new mouse is better than the previous 'Mighty mouse', which I despised.

For those concerned about having only Mac OS X, remember you can always just set up a second partition and dual boot into Windows. Virtualization is also an option.

MUST... not... rant.... aaaah... crap

Sorry in advance.

[slightly derailing rant]
Yes the Mac is sexy, user friendly and CAN run windows. The fact remains that PCs give you far superior performance for the same amount of money. PCs are cheaper to upgrade as well.

I like the design of the Mac as much as the next guy, but am not willing to pay for that alone. I see no reason to get a Mac when all I plan to run is Win 7 and Ubuntu anyway. Mac OS is user friendly and all that, but the compatibility issues are still a big issue and I refuse to start on scratch when I'm already a proficient Win/Linux user (I use Win 99% of the time these days). There's a crapload of apps that are not available on Mac and the Mac OS gives me nothing (of value) that I don't get with Windows. This applies to Linux as well btw...

Also I HATE the apple mentality in general. Proprietary solutions up the ying-yang, DRM and iTunes come to mind...

TL;DR version: PCs are cheaper than Macs. Until the compatibility issues are 100% fixed, I won't consider a Mac OS or Linux as my primary OS, hence, there is no point in getting a Mac.
[/slightly derailing rant]

As mentioned, I'll consider getting one as a back up computer, but as the primary... no thanks.

Again... sorry :P

Posted Image

#9 TarSky

TarSky

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:41 PM

lol ... it's funny when I'm thinking about computer mouse ... last week-end I was to someone to [ quick ] fix a [ shit ] computer and I discover what revolutionary, high end .. last generation [ whatever ... ] mouse he had ...

NSFW [ @bamar :P ] : http://www.pcmag.com...26po%3D2,00.asp

I like description of the product ...
bla bla .. who the !@#% is reading this

#10 Alastairon

Alastairon
  • Pip

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:50 PM

I like the design of the Mac as much as the next guy, but am not willing to pay for that alone. I see no reason to get a Mac when all I plan to run is Win 7 and Ubuntu anyway. Mac OS is user friendly and all that, but the compatibility issues are still a big issue and I refuse to start on scratch when I'm already a proficient Win/Linux user (I use Win 99% of the time these days). There's a crapload of apps that are not available on Mac and the Mac OS gives me nothing (of value) that I don't get with Windows. This applies to Linux as well btw...

Why would you ever bother with Mac OS X if you already run two superior operating systems? For critical data, store it on the Ubuntu box. (coincidentally, that's my OS of choice for the servers at work. Phenomenal stability, self-maintaining, never goes down, never breaks AND integrates with Active Directory.) For everything you want to run fast, stable and actually play games, run Win7. Sorry, Mac. You can't and probably won't ever be able to. At your heart, you're nothing but a LINUX distro that you've gotten people to pay for.

Apple is a niche product and always will be. It's an appliance brand. You buy your MacBook and the only real choice is the screen size. Everything else is decided for you. Oh, wait, maybe the colour. Okay, you can choose black or white. You know, like a refrigerator. Macs are phenomenal, I repeat, phenomenal everyday computing devices. Web surfing, checking your stocks, bank account, web email, etc. For the everyday family user, they fit the, albeit significantly inflated, bill. If you want a machine that does these things and your computer-stupid wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/boinkbuddy/relative/2nd-cousin-sue-ellen cannot possibly fuck up, get them a mac. For 75% of the population, this is exactly what they need.

For everybody else, there's a PC with better hardware and a much more robust OS waiting for you. Win7 is here, folks. You can take off the black turtlenecks and don't need to bump yourself in line for an organ transplant anymore.
Big Al

This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck, "The Law"

#11 Sever Aldaria

Sever Aldaria

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:51 PM

It's as small as a credit card. I can't imagine anyone playing an FPS game with it though =x
Posted Image

Local dropped by one

#12 Alastairon

Alastairon
  • Pip

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:04 PM

It's as small as a credit card.

I can't imagine anyone playing an FPS game with it though =x

They won't have to worry! The last FPS a Mac got was, what, Castle Wolfenstein?
Big Al

This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck, "The Law"

#13 Skrewed

Skrewed

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:04 PM

It's as small as a credit card.

I can't imagine anyone playing an FPS game with it though =x

Agreed. I use a Mac all day and have a windows box basically just for eve.

#14 Meldgaard

Meldgaard

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:13 PM

Why would you ever bother with Mac OS X if you already run two superior operating systems?

3/10 for that troll attempt, but a old flame war topic is old.
Posted Image

Deran Francks > And we really don't operate with reds/blues etc. To be honest, feel free to set us red - it means more fights for us.

#15 Aether

Aether

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:16 PM

The fact remains that PCs give you far superior performance

The key to understanding the mac vs pc debate is to first understand that "superior performance" really depends on what you use your computer for. There is no correct choice, no one superior os. It is all user-specific.

I have used both windows and mac os for several years and for my purposes I found out that mac os is superior. All applications that I need to have installed I can get on mac, even the more exotic stuff like VMD, Chimera, SciFinder, etc., and also have access to things like Keynote and Pages which are the less laggy and more intuitive versions of Word and Powerpoint, especially if you have a 10+ paper to write or a long presentation to make. And at the same time just better security. Recent example, how many players have lost their EVE accounts due to phishing threads posted on EVE forums? A much less recent example: we had some worms or whatever going around our campus network when I used to live on campus and at a result hundreds of students have been disconnected from internet the week before finals week, when having connection is very important. Of course, some games don't run on mac that run on windows, but I don't have XXX hours neither the desire to sample 987 different games. On the other hand somebody else who is very much into gaming, and perhaps even has a career in gaming industry and needs to play what's out there, is probably not going to like mac os at all. So, it all depends.

If you want a machine that does these things and your computer-stupid wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/boinkbuddy/relative/2nd-cousin-sue-ellen cannot possibly fuck up, get them a mac. For 75% of the population, this is exactly what they need.

This is incorrect. I have seen so many computer illiterate people fuck up their Mac OS and then run back to Windows spitting and saying how macs are shit it is unbelievable. Windows of course did not work out for them either, but hey, at least it was something familiar to them and the pc was cheaper after all. Like any os, mac os does require some basic levels of maintenance and understanding on the part of user.

Apple is a niche product and always will be. It's an appliance brand. You buy your MacBook and the only real choice is the screen size. Everything else is decided for you. Oh, wait, maybe the colour. Okay, you can choose black or white.

ah the paradox of choice :@

#16 Tea

Tea

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:20 PM

Also I HATE the apple mentality in general. Proprietary solutions up the ying-yang, DRM and iTunes come to mind...

Because windows doesn't have DRM at all, doesn't allow EA and co to infect your machine with DRM and Microsoft are so open with their technologies ;)

The appearance of open isn't the same as non-proprietary.

Like them or not Apple changed the online music market by firstly getting a working solution out while MS were trying to invent new music standards and secondly by going (mostly) DRM free.

OS X does many things very well and people prefer it. Less people can afford Apple computers but those that do are happy to pay the extra, it doesn't effect you in any way so why flame? ;)

Disclaimer, I run Windows :P

#17 Arkole Blake

Arkole Blake

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

/sigh at this thread turning into another apple/pc flame war.(it hasnt resulted in actual flame yet, but the sparks and fuel are in the same room now so ....) The mouse looks cool, as an iPhone user I personally dont think that the current avalible touch tech is up to the challenge that this mouse will have to face, but I really hope that it does work as well as they claim. As far as the rest of the thread. People have different taste and both machines are good for certian types of people/applications, accept that the one you use/like is better than the other for you and leave everyone else alone about it already. -Ark
Posted Image

#18 Silas

Silas

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:28 PM

The key to understanding the mac vs pc debate is to first understand that "superior performance" really depends on what you use your computer for. There is no correct choice, no one superior os. It is all user-specific.

Can't really disagre with you there. I know the Mac is the platform of choice for publishing, music production and so on, but you can not argue that MHz by MHz, teraflop by terraflop and dollar by dollar, the PC (usually) has the Mac beat.

However, as always with this particular discussion, we'll probably never agree.

Lets however instead hug it out and agree that Sexxy Magic Mouse is sexy :P

Posted Image

#19 Alastairon

Alastairon
  • Pip

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

This is incorrect. I have seen so many computer illiterate people fuck up their Mac OS and then run back to Windows spitting and saying how macs are shit it is unbelievable. Windows of course did not work out for them either, but hey, at least it was something familiar to them and the pc was cheaper after all. Like any os, mac os does require some basic levels of maintenance and understanding on the part of user.

But... but it's just a LINUX distro! As long as you don't try to do everything with sudo, how can you screw it up?! Seriously, it's LINUX! It doesn't fail unless you REALLY screw with it.

Macs aren't shit. They fit a very specific niche in the market and supply it well. They just aren't for everyone. But those users need to go back to the abacus. Complain to Galileo when your beads don't like up or something.

Al
Big Al

#20 Aether

Aether

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

+1 :D

#21 Meldgaard

Meldgaard

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:50 PM

Can't really disagre with you there. I know the Mac is the platform of choice for publishing, music production and so on, but you can not argue that MHz by MHz, teraflop by terraflop and dollar by dollar, the PC (usually) has the Mac beat.

However, as always with this particular discussion, we'll probably never agree.

Well Mhz is a bad way to measure the speed of an computer, without knowing the cpi (Cycles per instruction) and how many instruction a program compiles too, it only tells how much power it takes. And must modern computers stuff like branch prediction, cache and the busses outside the cpu is the really imported stuff.

The same goes for flops. Without knowing how the compiler is compiling and how the microcode of the cpu is designed you dont know how many floating point operations that is need on different architecture.
/end geeknes
Posted Image

#22 Azual

Azual

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:52 PM

Me grabs some popcorn and starts yelling "fight!" !lol

On topic though, regardless of how practical, ergonomic, expensive or refined that mouse may or not be... it does look awesome!
Ex-Director of PVP-Uni, Eve Blogger and author of The Altruist
Posted Image

#23 Carenthor Loon

Carenthor Loon

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:29 PM

"I say, I say, I say - my dog has no nose" "Then how does he smell?" "Bloody awful!"
EVE is a dark and harsh world, you're supposed to feel a bit worried and slightly angry when you log in
CCP Wrangler

#24 Spinward

Spinward

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

Roger cool looking mouse. :) What the hell are the rest of you talking about? ;) I still miss my giant old Logitec Trackball. :( I loved that thing!
Posted Image

#25 Discipline

Discipline

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image