Photo

Celebrity Deathmatch #16 (Full Video now available)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Tea

Tea

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:45 AM

I've been working on a video project for this Deathmatch that took place in the planet risk wormhole last weekend.

The full video will be available on the 24th at the Hellcats Party on siradio.fm but for now here is a trailer.

*Clicky*

[edit] *Full version now up* [/edit]

#2 cr8r

cr8r

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:00 AM

malformed video id
cr8r

"Think of agony as a vine: quick to laydown some roots for nutrients, fairly resilient, but only truly thrive when there's nearby plants to strangle. " - Gizznit

Posted Image

BASIC - 1107091800

#3 Silas

Silas

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:23 AM

I get the same error

EDIT: This one should work

Posted Image

In wildness is the preservation of the world,

so seek the wolf in thyself

#4 Tea

Tea

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:33 AM

Fixed. That is what I get for posting at 4am, though I did manage to get the link right in my sig...

#5 luanny

luanny
  • Pip

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

looks good looking forward to the end result

Posted Image

[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?159155]BASIC-20091104[/link]

#6 Tzimon

Tzimon

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:42 PM

looks good, imo the camera pans too fast though. I like the song, what is it? Would be awesome if the music faded out to zero before the voice started at the end.

#7 Tea

Tea

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:01 AM

*Full video now up*

#8 Sever Aldaria

Sever Aldaria

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:41 AM

Teadaze, what video editing software did you use? I really liked a lot of editing effects throughout the video and I'd like to learn how to do similar things. -Sev
Posted Image

Local dropped by one

#9 Skrewed

Skrewed

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:43 AM

Production quality is very good. Nice job.

#10 Tzimon

Tzimon

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:02 AM

GJ tea, two thumbs up!

#11 Kerzack

Kerzack

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:54 AM

Nice!
Men of war have long known that warriors must often abandon those verities they defend. Peace, human kindness, love... for they hold no meaning to the enemy. And so, to win, do we become what we despise... and despise what we become?

#12 Tea

Tea

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:06 PM

Teadaze, what video editing software did you use? I really liked a lot of editing effects throughout the video and I'd like to learn how to do similar things.

-Sev

I did the majority of the work using the trial version of Coral VideoStudio 12 though it did crash on me a number of times. Luminous Aardokay had sent me the titles with a black background but I thought it would be nicer to have some wormhole footage behind instead. We discovered that VideoStudio is happy to import flash video with transparency so it spawned the idea of more overlay effects.

VideoStudio didn't seem to offer a flash video export so I selected appropriate 10-20 second chunks to put the overlay effects on (putting in cut marks to ensure the overlay track would line up perfectly) and exported those video chunks. They were then imported it into a trial version of Pinnacle Studio 14 and exported as flash video. As an aside, I wasn't impressed with Pinnacle Studio at all - not helped by the huge download. It was slow and left meta files all over my fraps directory.

The flash video sections were sent to Luminous who imported them into flash and did the butterfly effect style ship fittings, exporting them as flash video with transparent background. These were sent back and put into an overlay track in VideoStudio.

Also black bars were added top, bottom and left to cover the bits of eve UI, which I had totally bastardized to have the target list and watch list in shot and everything else I needed (overview etc) pushed to the top or bottom sections. I thought the watch list would be interesting to show because of it flashing when people are taking fire.

Audio editing was done using audacity, the music came in as mp3 (though I crash edited the title track "Dare to be Bold" because it didn't have the right pacing for the intro :P). I also used it to record the commentary, but it crashed a few times too (I'm detecting a trend here, might be time to rebuild this PC).

So the total kit list

* Fraps - Raw footage
* Corel VideoStudio 12 (Trial) - Video Editing, mixing and final export
* Pinnacle Studio 14 (Trial) - Exporting video sections as flash
* Flash (version unknown) - Overlay effects, titles and credits.
* Audacity - Audio editing and recording.

The fight footage ended up the weakest part because I only had one fraps PC available and so couldn't do any cuts.
I had already decided to do an intro with the ships being rotated while the pilot's name was shown, so I filmed a bit of this before the fight started. Once the editing started I did a mock up of the title using the built in text overlays which looked ok, but consisted of a couple of rotations and a fade to black (to mask me changing look at targets). Lumi then sent me the flash overlays and I knew that footage wasn't good enough. By this point the fight had happened and I wasn't in the wormhole - so I cheated :P

I already had a cynabal and a caracal navy issue, so went to jita and bought a vexor navy issue and some blasters and shipped them all to a system 3 or so out of Jita that had a blue nebula (which I considered to be a fair compromise even though the shade didn't match Planet Risk ;))
There I did the spin in and rotate footage. Note the attention to detail, I matched the number of guns so one shot of the vexor has 4 and in the other has 5 :P. Also the direction of ship rotation is different between the two teams, as is the alignment of the titles.

All in all I spent probably 15-20 hours on this over the last couple of weeks and whilst I will never be 100% happy with it I am happy enough :P

#13 Sever Aldaria

Sever Aldaria

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:52 PM

Stuff

And here I've got the entire Adobe Master Collection CS4 including Premiere Pro, Flash CS4, After Effects, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and a host of other programs I have no idea how to use. %-6 I can cut together video adding in some transitions or effects with Premiere Pro, but I have no idea how to do flash stuff. Also I never seem to be happy with the quality and size of my videos when encoding it. Only HCTDurka video came out with good quality and maintained a small size but I don't remember what I had to do to encode and compress it like that.

Ah well. Maybe one of these days I'll learn how to use the Adobe software package better and how to encode and compress videos properly.

EDIT: Anyway, impressive work.

-Sev
Posted Image

Local dropped by one

#14 Tea

Tea

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:14 PM

The full video (which is a shade under 11 mins) at 1650x1050 resolution comes to around 270megs when compressed with Xvid

I've never used flash but Luminous (also known as DJ aMUSIC from Split Infinity Radio) is pretty handy with it.

#15 Sever Aldaria

Sever Aldaria

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

The full video (which is a shade under 11 mins) at 1650x1050 resolution comes to around 270megs when compressed with Xvid

So that's MPEG-4 format right?
Posted Image

Local dropped by one

#16 Tea

Tea

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

So that's MPEG-4 format right?

Indeed and I believe XVID to be one of the better encoders.

It took about an hour to produce the 11 min video from the video footage, 3 audio tracks and up to 5 overlays. Using the built in avi encoder it took over 2.5 hours for the same thing and the output file was over a gig.

If I do something similar again I will keep the selected targets at the top of the screen (I have eve set widescreen so it they will be on a black background) then crop those out and overlay them to the sides of the main picture to fake the alliance tournament style.

Lots more work but would be interesting to try ;)

#17 Copter_Pilot

Copter_Pilot

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:23 PM

Celebrity Deathmatch #16? First question, why have i not heard of CDM before? Second question, why was I not invited to participate? Copter = Celebrity :) Nicely done video and excellent commentary.....may have work for you that pays iskies :)
Posted Image

[link=http://www.eveavatars.com/?referral=Agony]Click to get your own animated avatar[/link]

[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?9181]BASIC-0120061900[/link]

[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?61845]WOLFPACKS-020220081900 [/link]

[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?80228]BOMBERS-072620081600[/link]

#18 Tea

Tea

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

Celebrity Deathmatch #16?

First question, why have i not heard of CDM before?

Second question, why was I not invited to participate? Copter = Celebrity :)

The CDM project was started by *Nashh Kadavr*.
He is going to put up a short blurb about it for people who haven't been following so far.

The idea was (as far as I understand it) that he contacted people he considers Celebrities (mostly from blogs, podcasts and the like) and asked to 1v1 them. So far there have been 17 or so of these, a couple have been filmed, #16 was taken to the next level for the Hellcats pub party.

This is one of things Eve is good at. Somebody had the idea, did it and now it has become something far bigger than originally expected.