Photo

New Bombers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Carnagerose

Carnagerose
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:45 PM

Now that the changes to bombers has been out for a little while, I was wondering on Agony's opinion on the matter. Good, Bad, Wouldn't Touch with a 10AU Spoon, Oh a Piece of Candy,...
Carnagerose - Carnagerose (OBE.I)
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?131367]BASIC - 0606091800[/link]
[link=http://agony-unleashed.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?135781]WOLFPACKS-200906271800[/link]

#2 Beef Hardslab

Beef Hardslab

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:56 PM

I rather like the new bombers. Much easier to fit, that's for sure. Also I always thought it was a bit silly to have a frig that only really excelled at killing other frigs. Being able to have a full rack of siege launchers and still have a bomb launcher is sweet. Warping cloaked, tbh, I am surprised they gave them that.
Posted Image

#3 Granger

Granger

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

Warping cloaked, tbh, I am surprised they gave them that.

But in giving that, they took away "blink" tactics, as you now have a significant time to wait till you can recloak.
"...the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy." - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

"Except that, as is usually said of spoons, THERE IS NO SHIELD." - Lord Maldoror
"Bob Shaftoes is drenched in Hyperions" - Kil2 CCP Rise, EVE AT XI
"Cambions are like Drakes that go really fast" - MB III CCP Dolan, EVE AT XI

BASIC-042620081900
WOLFPACKS-053120081600
FLYBYS-2206081600

Posted Image

My YouTube Channel

#4 Tea

Tea

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:21 PM

I still think they should have allowed people the choice to fit cruise for more range even if that removed the warp when cloaked option. The lack of the cloaked velocity bonus is very irritating too. Yes you can warp cloaked but it doesn't help if you are trying to get into bomb position round a hostile bubble. The old bomber did significantly more DPS to cruisers and was able to remain on the field for longer due to the range (I suspect the actual damage over time is similar between them both due to the new bomber having to warp out more often thanks to being in drone range, except when the target is smaller than a painted battlecruiser when the old cruise bomber would win out easily). In any case bombs are still crappy and not really anti blob weapons as originally promised. You can just about kill an untanked cruiser if they are asleep, stationary with MWD running. However I know I am in the minority, most people think peak DPS numbers are king and that I'm mad. As far as it goes, once the existing hulls I have are dead I won't be replacing them.

#5 vissuddha

vissuddha

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

I still like the SB. Having Torps V is almost a must so you can use the Javelins which will give you 85+ range. I am still not happy that an area effect weapon(bombs) follows missile mechanics basically making them useless against anything that isn't sitting still or larger than a cruiser. I personally think they should be like smartbombs/doomsday & actually not have an explosion velocity that can be outrun by anything that is going faster than 200m/s :? Other than that I am still learning new roles for them & working on unique fits, we will see if any of my ideas are viable in real combat.

#6 Tremitry

Tremitry
  • Pip

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:52 PM

I stumbled across these forums this morning after learning about the offered PvP classes. I figured this was as good a place as any to inquire about the usefulness of stealth bombers. Apparently, that was a good call since there's already a short little thread on them. :) This Caldari toon is relatively unfocused when it comes to combat skills (of the almost 9 million SP I have, over 5 million are in Learning - all skills to 5). I wanted to find a group of ships that I could begin focusing my skill training on and the covert-ops ships (Manticore) seemed the most interesting to me. I'm about a week away from flying SB's and roughly a month away from using T2 launchers. Since I'd be picking up a slew of siege launcher skills over the next year or so, I also figured a natural branch to also train for would be the Raven/Golem ships (with some ECM skills, black-ops become available, although I've yet to hear good things about them). I hear a lot of differing opinions on missiles in PvP, however. While I've done a lot of research on Manticores, and have a couple of fits I've come up with in EFT that I like, I want to ensure that missiles aren't really as handicapped as some people make them out to be. Is it worth planning out a year's-plus worth of missile training? Or would a different race/class/weapon type of ships be more beneficial for a budding PvPer?

#7 Granger

Granger

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:21 PM

You can just about kill an untanked cruiser if they are asleep, stationary with MWD running.

Not "just about" :P

(Sorry to out of corp guys that is an internal link and you won't be able to access it)

As a general point - I like the new fittings, in that you can have cloak, bomb launcher, 3 siege launchers, MWD and enough CPU left for minimum 2x BCS and paint and damp. However, like Teadaze, I would like the option of Covops vs. Tech II cloak, and of Cruise vs. Siege launchers. Unlike Teadaze, I will be replacing my hulls, just lost a Purifier and a Nemesis and new ones are sitting waiting to be fitted.
"...the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy." - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

"Except that, as is usually said of spoons, THERE IS NO SHIELD." - Lord Maldoror
"Bob Shaftoes is drenched in Hyperions" - Kil2 CCP Rise, EVE AT XI
"Cambions are like Drakes that go really fast" - MB III CCP Dolan, EVE AT XI

BASIC-042620081900
WOLFPACKS-053120081600
FLYBYS-2206081600

Posted Image

My YouTube Channel

#8 Carnagerose

Carnagerose
  • PipPip

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:57 AM

So I saw today bombs got an improvement, is it actually useful, or is it 7*0=0?
Carnagerose - Carnagerose (OBE.I)
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?131367]BASIC - 0606091800[/link]
[link=http://agony-unleashed.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?135781]WOLFPACKS-200906271800[/link]

#9 Tea

Tea

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:09 AM

You've not seen how many hulls I already have :P