Photo

[Feed back] 19/20th Advanced

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Caldak

Caldak

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:44 AM

Here we go with feed back. :rolleyes: 4 Hrs of talking, discussion on things. Too much ground to cover in one sitting. Sure if you look back on it, that it will have some meat to it to chew on and questions tomorrow. Plus the ship prize's to give away. Thanks to the people that give so freely to it. Unexpected but delighted for it. 1 fight in Great Wildlands. Not bad seen we were down in numbers. Enjoyed because we need the ice breaker to get thinking about how we fly as a individual in a fleet. As we as looking at every engagement as a learning curve and taking something to build on. Congrats on those that got their ships away in one piece.

Anne Bonney, a notorious pirate in her own right, told her husband, Calico Jack Bonney, as he was captured by pirate hunters,
“if you'd have fought like a man you needn't hang like a dog”.

Done some class's

#2 Virto Nex

Virto Nex

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

Learned a ton man, thanks. It really is amazing how simple some things are, but I've never thought of before. I really enjoyed everything about leading fleets. The fight was a lot of fun too, I've never really been in a dps role before. Considering we were so outmatched dps wise, I think we did pretty good. We probably won the isk war on it too. Thanks again.
"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." - John Paul Jones

"They see me Trollin', They hatin', Pa-trollin' And tryin' to catch me flyin' dirty.
Tryin' to catch me flyin' dirty.
Tryin' to catch me flyin' dirty."

My Blog: Cannon Fodder

BASIC-20120427 ADVANCED-20120418

I like my ribbons!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Onslaughtor

Onslaughtor
  • PipPip

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

The small roam was a perfect ending to the class. I felt like a lot of the separate things I learned about EVE came together in this class. Thank you Caldak for the great discussion and the experience you gave to us.

#4 Kaeda Maxwell

Kaeda Maxwell

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

Some insight from the other end of the B-VIP9 fight, we were quite surprised we won actually. We had just finished a local pirate event thing when TEXN's FC told us you wanted to fight. By this time some fleet members had heavily slurring speech on comms too (if you catch my drift...)

TEXN FC said cruisers, armor and from that we just found/fitted/boarded what was available from pirate coffers/private hangars the fact we were almost all Ruptures was pretty much coincidence some of them were shield even because people didn't have the mods for armor on hand.
We had the one Deimos cause that's the only cruiser Diziet had and the one Cyclone which we decided would be ok cause as AkJon was a Drake and Crafty didn't have a cruiser on hand and you had the 1 Cerberus.
20 minutes later when we undocked in Egbinger the only things decided was the order of our 4 callers (because were expecting to lose) and that the wolfs would go for the Black Birds.
When we jumped in we were expecting to loose badly, you outnumbered us and had 20 minutes to setup so we were expecting to find 2 black birds setup at range and we warped into you @0 landing on your bubble and Sard being with you we figured would know who our callers would be. When you warp into someone on their terms you generally expect to die tbh :) Our plan was literally 'kill Sard and we'll call it a win'.

Once the engagement started I personally decided to drop my ec-300's on Caldak -expecting he would be your lead caller having flown on the other side in the past etc- one of the Black Birds died the other bailed and from then on we started winning due to the sheer magnitude of ruppy close range dps quickly shifting the numerical advantage into our favour. Sard told us later that your target calling did indeed hamper a bit when Caldak couldn't lock stuff.

Anyway we 'won' quite unexpectedly. We weren't going in expecting to anyway. Thank you all for being patient and waiting around while we all gathered and fitted ships and organized getting onto the same comms etc, we had a blast and hope you did too :)

BASIC-20101226 (Kohana Maxwell)
WOLFPACKS-20101228 (Kohana Maxwell)
I R HAZ BLOG; http://kaedamaxwell.blogspot.com/

Posted Image

#5 Sarek Minyatar

Sarek Minyatar

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

I don't think we really outnumbered you, we had a couple of non-dps scouts/inties in local, combat ship numbers were quite even (http://www.agony-unl..._related/83048/). IMHO, what made all the difference was your Legion, or was that not yours? Almost 50% boost to EHP is a massive advantage in otherwise pretty even fight. Combined with the high dps of the Ruppies it meant we very soon didn't have the dps anymore to kill anything.

But we were happy we got a fight, before everything was just POSing up and running away from us, so thanks for that. And yes, targeting calling was bad on our end after Caldak was jammed and never really recovered.

#6 Caldak

Caldak

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

Roam done. Got some shiny kills, got some running away from a fight. Some silly mistakes on their side netted us a kill or two. The Gila & Drake were good tackle kills. Very light on targets outside of Syndicate. Although the gangs in Syndicate what we seen were a little heavy for us. Just didn't feel gelled gang for me. Looks like we had the wrong time with systems been bare, D3 ? who knows. The end was good running from some gang. Kills = 3B without pods

Anne Bonney, a notorious pirate in her own right, told her husband, Calico Jack Bonney, as he was captured by pirate hunters,
“if you'd have fought like a man you needn't hang like a dog”.

Done some class's

#7 Xolanie

Xolanie
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

one of the Black Birds died the other bailed

Correction - I never bailed, I was 100km from the bubble well within optimal, I only left when the order was given :)

Was a good fight though, thanks for taking us on,

Learnt alot from the class portion, I could have done with recording chat so I could listen to it all again, probably missed parts sorting the kids out,

Sorry i missed the roam but have to get up early for work,

Cheers,

Xol

#8 Silivay

Silivay

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for everyone's effort. Comms were a little off; the FC was telling people to 'J' and the rest of the fleet was using the word 'Jump'. When the fleet was split on a gate, we had a few targets jump into us and then warp off without being tackled. I wonder if people worried about gaining aggression and not being able to jump through for assistance. Do we need a standing "weapons free" order?
“Moros' are like dinosaur, you have to hold really still.” ― Deran Francks
BASIC-20101226 * WOLFPACKS-20101228 * FLYBYS-20110212 * COVOPS-20110219 * ADVANCED-20111216

#9 Nos

Nos
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

I enjoyed the course but my one issue is the time at which the courses seem to be run 4:00 pm in the afternoon is a tough time for most North Americans to do this sort of course.

#10 Kalar Freno

Kalar Freno

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

I enjoyed both the class and roam as always. Caldak was fantastic as usual, and was only held back by the lack of good fights to talk about. To be honest, I don't think this is something that can really be rectified. It seems to me that the way which advanced is structured is that you put together a fairly flexible gang, go out and look for fights, and talk about decisions which were made, how threats were assessed etc. If you don't get the fights, it's difficult to do this. I enjoyed the fights we did get. I found Caldak's thought process illuminating as he did a quick breakdown of the targets reported by scouts, and explained why they were (mostly) not good targets for us to engage. The lack of targets in Curse was a bit disappointing. I admit it was nice to see that even agony scouts have off-days - most class roams everything seems to run so slickly that you'd think the FC and scouts were telepathic. Seeing where things went wrong with regards to recon and intel in general was also illuminating for understanding how to set up scouts and skirmishers for fleet operation. All in all, a really great class. I look forward to attending the next one as alumni, and getting a bit more in the way of fleet fights and after-battle breakdowns.

#11 Audrey Koshka

Audrey Koshka

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

Ctrl-A to highlight local so it's easy to pick out new additions at a glance. OMG! I enjoyed the teaching style, the back-and-forth made you engage and think about things. Echoing Kalar, in some ways when things don't go perfectly can be more educational.
And yeah, small gang includes triage carriers now. Literally everyone uses them for all the things. - Ripard Teg, said unironically
Posted Image
BASIC-20120310 WOLFPACKS-20120420 ADVANCED-20120418

#12 Sanfrey

Sanfrey

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

IIRC the original notes for the advanced class actually mention using different terms like 'j' and 'hop' and 'go go go' etc instead of jump specifically to *add* to the confusion and make you (me/the students) think more about what's going on. When you get outside Agony into the wider Eve world of fleets, almost no alliances run fleet comms as strictly as Agony. Frequently you're left trying to decode what the hell the orders are, and having to filter out apparently conflicting orders from people who aren't the FC and should STFU, and so forth. You know you're flying with a close knit group when the orders are vague, but consistent, and somehow everyone knows exactly what they mean. But that's rare, usually in my experience half the orders I hear need some form of mental clarification before I can act upon them. (Outside Agony fleets anyway!!) I wish I could have made the full roam, but still, Wolfpacks♥4eva :D

Wow my classes were so long ago the link stopped working. Look I took a bunch of them ok? It was a long time ago. Just trust me on it.
Radioactive cats have 18 half lives. (Unless in a box, in which case they have half a chance of having no half lives.)