Photo

[ Stealth Bomber ] - Update

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
87 replies to this topic

#51 Othran

Othran

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:29 AM

tactical bomb overlay displays bomb explosion radius on SISI

Just been playing around with that, its quite useful tremendous, you can now reliably bomb only part of a group while leaving the other part undamaged. Hmmm this looks like it might produce a load of fun.

Edit - I think I'll buy some bombs on TQ now, price isn't going to go down, this makes bombing so much easier.
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#52 Vjorn

Vjorn

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

If you can't do the Sisi part that's ok, listen in and follow the white board bits.

What is the white board?

#53 Marvin

Marvin

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

white board = theory That said I got onto sisi successfully yesterday evening. Will try to log in for the mass test

#54 AkJon Ferguson

AkJon Ferguson

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

tactical bomb overlay displays bomb explosion radius on SISI

Just been playing around with that, its quite useful tremendous, you can now reliably bomb only part of a group while leaving the other part undamaged. Hmmm this looks like it might produce a load of fun.

Edit - I think I'll buy some bombs on TQ now, price isn't going to go down, this makes bombing so much easier.

Basic roams just got a whole lot more dangerous. (Since bombing runs have been EZ-modified)
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/9285-closed-pvp-basic-20-21-feb-1800/]BASIC-20100220[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/11350-open-pvp-avanced-hssr-2300-15th-advanced-2100-for-16th-17th-july/]ADVANCED HSSR -1807102100[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/11588-closed-pvp-wolfpacks-class-august-2829-1800/]WOLFPACKS-201008281800[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/12728-fullpvp-covops-nov-28-1800-venue-changeread/]COVOPS - 281101800[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/13477-closed-pvp-skirmish-prototype-class-29th-30th-january-1300/]SKIRMISH-20110129[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/13315-closed-pvp-flybys-february-12th-1800/]FLYBYS-20110212[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/16195-closed-stealth-bombers-20111119-2000/]Stealth Bombers 20111119[/link]
Posted Image

#55 Angelio

Angelio

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

You meen a whole lot more intresting :)

#56 Angelio

Angelio

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

btw DEV activate all on the list for Sisi so I am active :D

#57 Othran

Othran

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:26 AM

Basic roams just got a whole lot more dangerous. (Since bombing runs have been EZ-modified)

Its an incredibly useful tool. Been playing around with it and not only can you bomb with a lot more precision, you can effectively bomb while turning and even orbiting. Of course its always been possible to do that, but this makes it remarkably easy - before, even the best bomber pilots had to guesstimate, now hmmmm....

Going to make the roam a bit strange for those who've never bombed before and are on sisi for class. Don't get used to the nice targeting bubble until its on TQ.
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#58 Marvin

Marvin

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

Don't get used to the nice targeting bubble until its on TQ.

Well with the class being less than 2 weeks before the scheduled TQ patch I think it won't be THAT bad a thing, it will however be bad for the roam

#59 John McGuirk

John McGuirk

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

Also the whole covops ships don't decloak each other on sisi. Think I mentioned this but be aware of the implications. Basically you have no incentive during class to be careful about getting cloaked ships close to each other. I believe you can all happily wtz on top of each other, accept fleet warps etc. and will not decloak. For the roam, however, I believe cloaked ships will still decloak each other.

#60 roigon

roigon

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:37 PM

Well with the class being less than 2 weeks before the scheduled TQ patch I think it won't be THAT bad a thing, it will however be bad for the roam

Well I of course don't know what agony will teach about this but as far as I know there are 2 bomb dropping tactics.

uncloaked dropping) You make 2 BM's, an align BM and a drop BM. You fly from the align BM to the drop BM uncloaked, drop your bomb (being already aligned and in position for your drop) and instantly cloak back up.

aligned dropping) You maneuver your position to line up your target with either a BM or a celestial or what not, get in range, uncloak, drop your bomb and warp away.

Both tactics require careful positioning and planning, and IMHO, gain little with the adding of the tactical overview giving you a dmg range bubble. Not saying the bubble is useless, it will give you a nice preview of what you should be hopefully hitting, but you already knew the range, and since position is so important you don't really have much room to correct after setting it all up.

Well I guess it can help with the more common tactic of getting into a good position, lining up a shot, de-cloaking, dropping a bomb, then trying to get away to some point you haven't already aligned to, getting locked by multiple ships and getting blown up. Like most bombers we encounter on roams try to do.

#61 Othran

Othran

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:54 PM

There's a new mirror (and build - 410MB) on sisi today. Enjoy the trip back to 31-M ;)
Today's word is :

#62 Kalar Freno

Kalar Freno

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

Well I of course don't know what agony will teach about this but as far as I know there are 2 bomb dropping tactics.

uncloaked dropping) You make 2 BM's, an align BM and a drop BM. You fly from the align BM to the drop BM uncloaked, drop your bomb (being already aligned and in position for your drop) and instantly cloak back up.

aligned dropping) You maneuver your position to line up your target with either a BM or a celestial or what not, get in range, uncloak, drop your bomb and warp away.

Both tactics require careful positioning and planning, and IMHO, gain little with the adding of the tactical overview giving you a dmg range bubble. Not saying the bubble is useless, it will give you a nice preview of what you should be hopefully hitting, but you already knew the range, and since position is so important you don't really have much room to correct after setting it all up.

Well I guess it can help with the more common tactic of getting into a good position, lining up a shot, de-cloaking, dropping a bomb, then trying to get away to some point you haven't already aligned to, getting locked by multiple ships and getting blown up. Like most bombers we encounter on roams try to do.

As far as I can see the "positioning and planning" is infinitely easier now. For the first strategy, you warp in towards your target, drop a bm 10k before you drop out of warp, line up your bomb (using the new interface), drop a bm there, warp back to your first bm, dropping cloak as soon as you're off grid, and then warp back, drop the bomb and recloak.

Ok, that explanation is probably entirely redundant, as it's really obvious, but the same is true for your second bombing method.

If someone is giving you the bms, and has done all the hard work for you, yes this change doesn't make much difference. But I suspect setting up the bms is part of what we will be learning...

#63 roigon

roigon

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

As far as I can see the "positioning and planning" is infinitely easier now. For the first strategy, you warp in towards your target, drop a bm 10k before you drop out of warp, line up your bomb (using the new interface), drop a bm there, warp back to your first bm, dropping cloak as soon as you're off grid, and then warp back, drop the bomb and recloak.

Ok, that explanation is probably entirely redundant, as it's really obvious, but the same is true for your second bombing method.

If someone is giving you the bms, and has done all the hard work for you, yes this change doesn't make much difference. But I suspect setting up the bms is part of what we will be learning...

Perhaps a little bit, but from the second you land on grid for the first time in your SB you're on the clock with setting up your run. While theoretically you could now use the tactical overview to get the best possible angle and approach to catch the heart of the enemy fleet, more likely then not you will end up making a few split second judgements while watching the enemy fleet zoomed out.

Well I dunno, perhaps it will make things a lot easier, but I personally don't think it will.

I hadn't heard about the change that John mentioned though, that you will no longer decloak each other. If that ever hits TQ that will be huge. I've had a few incidents where with a failed punt (where I accidentally warped myself as well as a cloaked pilgrim to catch a noctis in a safe spot) ruined an opportunity because we then de-cloaked each other.

In case of bombing runs it will no doubt be even bigger. While I have no experience doing coordinated bombing runs, I assume a little bit of time has to be spent giving everyone a different warp in spot to the target, so as to avoid SB's de-cloaking each other. For training the no-longer-decloak will probably not be all that problematic, because if your taking steps to avoid that from happening, it shouldn't happen in the first place. (for instance having a moving SB on grid with the target, and letting the rest of the SB's warp in one by one with 8-10km distances between each warp in.)

But if this change hits TQ, that would change a lot.

#64 Prudance

Prudance

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

So much talk about the bombing aspect of SB's. I hope the torpedo aspect is covered in class as well. I find that more challenging and interesting and useful over bombing runs (though Im not sure how many PvP fights you can take on as a torpedoing SB if the entire fleet is made up of only/mostly SBs)

#65 Marvin

Marvin

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

I got back home after work now and couldn't seem to find any mention of today's mass test (thought there was last week's one still in the calendar), probably missed it. Either way they seem to have updated the chars from a few days' back as I'm back in our wh. Is there an in game channel to get chars moved or should I just scan myself a route to somewhere tomorrow before class?

#66 qwertz_fan

qwertz_fan

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

You can join the "move me" channel. Read the MOTD for instructions. Will take you to Syndicate, 8 gates go or so.

#67 Petra

Petra

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

Just to let you all know Sisi was updated today with latest from TQ so if you had skills on TQ yesterday u should be good
Basic - 20110726
Wolfpack -20110917

#68 Othran

Othran

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

Just to let you all know Sisi was updated today with latest from TQ so if you had skills on TQ yesterday u should be good

It was mirrored yesterday, not today - before people start logging on to move me again ;)

There is a new build though.
Today's word is :

#69 Xolanie

Xolanie
  • PipPip

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

I cant make the course ( funds low and taking daughter out) but i could meet up with u all later if u like in a tanked Drake for u all to take target practice...

#70 Angelio

Angelio

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:22 PM

Can someone give me access to "The Stealth Bomber in Combat" wiki page if there is anything interesting to read…

#71 Vjorn

Vjorn

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:47 AM

the only reading that I've seen is the public Surviving in a Stealth Bomber linked in the original sign-up thread...

#72 Kalar Freno

Kalar Freno

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:12 PM

Has there been any announcement regarding what type of bomb we should bring? Are other people bringing some of each type?

#73 Othran

Othran

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

Has there been any announcement regarding what type of bomb we should bring? Are other people bringing some of each type?

Don't worry about it. X-M is closer than you think ;)
Today's word is :

#74 Vjorn

Vjorn

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

I bought 50 of each....plus i have a hauler parked in 31- if needed

#75 Kalar Freno

Kalar Freno

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:41 PM

Don't worry about it. X-M is closer than you think ;)

That's great for Sisi, but for the roam....?