Photo

[FEEDBACK] PvP Basic + Roam 30-12-14

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Luna Moonsorrow

Luna Moonsorrow

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:34 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks to all who attended, would appreciate it if you guys could gives us some feedback on how the Class went and how the Roam went and what the instructors were like? This is the first time we have run this shortened version of PvP Basic

Instructors:

- Luna

- Luzxz

- Yamir

FC:

- Cmore

Thanks guys!

Posted Image

#2 Vagrant

Vagrant
  • Pip

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:15 PM

Fantastic class and roam. Was very informational and straight forward for a brand new student. Could use some better Pictures for the beginning lecture, other than that I had a 10/10 experience and will do my best to return to future classes. 

#3 Fforia

Fforia
  • Pip

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the intro to PVP .... and apologies for all my blues (missed out on so many kills and fights)

Apart from Syndicate being very empty there isn't much else I can say about the class other than giving you a A+ would use again rating

Best ten million isk I have spent in quite a while :)

#4 Yamir Ke'Shark

Yamir Ke'Shark

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

Little bit of an AAR.

Started off a little slow with a couple of good ganks and a little fight at the start with a mega and a pair of vexors, some more little fights along the way, and a nice big welp near the end against the obvious bait Onyx with not quite the expected bombers, but a bunch of light missile caracals, a vexor, bellicose and a smartbombing battleship.

Crusader got unlucky coming through a gate

The next vexor managed to alpha one of the Agony interceptors off the field, so good on him for that.

Decent fight number one, 2 Vexors and a Megathron (battle report)

The vexors kited off a fair ways from the gate and caused us to have to do a couple of nice TAMs to warp onto the targets.

FCON (attempt one) tried to bring a fight, but lost an Ashimmu for their efforts

And a Tornado a bit further down the area

Goons lost a Proteus near a gate

Yamir tackled a mining barge in 9GY, but the fleet was a good way away and by the time support arrived there were a Dramiel, Ishtar, Hawk, Tengu, and possibly more.  Who all ran like their butts were on fire, leaving Yamir in a pod (no surprises there after getting scrammed by a Dramiel), and the Tengu tackled by Deran.  Resulting in a nice slightly blingy Tengu kill. 

And a slightly confused Rupture coming to save the Tengu (it was the Dramiel pilot)

Solo exequror tried to engage on of our dictors on gate and realised the folly of his ways..

This poor Talos tried to save something or kite us of gate somewhere or somehow, but failed rather spectacularly

And finally FCON (attempt 2) brought a good fun fight, starting off with a Onyx (our Ashimmu pilot from earlier firing light missiles at Yamir, not sure why.. perhaps because I prevented his Ashimmu from escaping at the last fight) at a TAC off gate which got tackled.  This was expected to be a trap, with initial suspicion being of a bunch of bombers sitting cloaked nearby ready for a bombing run.

Once a bunch of our other inties piled in on it he lit his bubble, which made it easiers for out fleet warped to get to the right range of the fight and then their fleet warped in including a smart bombing Typhoon, and the rest were a bunch of light missile and rapid light missile fit Caracals, Bellicose, Vexor, and Vagabond.  This turned into a good welp with most of the students dying in their frigates, but that was anticipated.

Kill report here, doesn't show all student losses so if you have one, please update the killboard.

Fun was had, explosions were created, people got to kill things, and hopefully learned a lot of usefull things.

Thanks for coming.

--
Posted Image

#5 Carver

Carver

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:10 PM

Nice one. Seems worth the price of admission. Thanks for making this happen, Agony, students, and especially Luna, Yamir, and Cmore. 

<18:28:33> "[AGONY] Carver" was removed from server group "Super Admin" by "[AGONY] Carver".

#6 flexmatic

flexmatic
  • Pip

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:33 PM

Thanks to the instructors Luna, Lucy and Yamir - excellent work! You covered the basics and asking in-depth-questions were no issue at all. I though it was a bit heavier on the fleet topics. I'm not sure if that is intentional but it was exactly what i was looking for. Despite English not being my native language i had no troubles at all following during those 2.5 hours.

And then thanks to Cmore for leading the roam and to all the other Agony folks providing the intel. Honestly i expected much less pew, usually right after downtime there isn't much going on at all. So no complaints here, really good work.

On my part i had just way too often troubles understanding the recon reports and figuring out what that actually meant for the main fleet. Well, as long as i understand jump and shoot i guess everything is all right, yes?

#7 Lea

Lea
  • Pip

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:18 AM

The first hour is kind of blurry, was a little bit too early for me :) Also my english might not be perfect, so please forgive the mistakes I may make.

The course was informative, concise, and all the important info was there. Most of the tables, pictures and diagrams were good.
I think a few screenshots needed work, ones that show red boxed and yellow boxed example come to mind.
Preparation material needs to be somewhat updated (i.e. client setup, etc.). But most of it is really good, and informative.
In retrospect maybe I should have asked a couple of questions about scripts in damps and tracking disruptors and when to use what.
I was still half asleep when you guys explained ewar, so I might have missed something, in which case it is entirely my mistake.

The instructors seemed really approachable and nice. All questions were answered even when there was no easy answer available.
Handling our mistakes was also very good. I felt guided through the learning process :)
Thank you for granting us your time, you guys are wonderful.

The roam was really good. Overall atmosphere of calm and composure even when we lost a ship or whole fleet.

In conclusion, would definitely take another course.

edit: corrected small error in my english :)

Edited by Lea, 31 December 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#8 Renka

Renka
  • Pip

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:40 AM

Had a great time.  This was my first pvp roam ever and I feel like I learned a lot, but most importantly it got me excited to do even more.

I really appreciate the docs and read as much as I could.  I agree they need to be updated, but I am sure that is a never ending endeavor.

The instructors were great and I felt like the class moved at a good pace, perhaps a bit on the slow side sometimes if anything.  

Getting out and getting our hands dirty was by far the best part.  I learned a lot just from listening to the fleet chatter.  It was fun and exciting to follow along and anticipate going through each gate into combat.

Next I want a scouting class.  Finding targets and calling out intel sounds like a lot of fun.  I would also like to have seen more discussion around logi, but perhaps that is just my corp that values logi more.

Overall, A+  Great work and a ton of fun.

Dan

#9 jacksun101

jacksun101
  • PipPip

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:42 AM

This was an awesome class with a practical roaming after server downtime. Agony instructors/members were all fantastic and absolutely the elite PvP players. I am not English native, but I can still enjoy the roaming, and got my couple kills. Hopefully, I can attend more classes in the future, and probably get more involved in the fleet roles. 

Thank you all, Agony.

I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of utopia. - My Creed by Dean Alfange

#10 glepp

glepp

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:58 AM

Next I want a scouting class. Finding targets and calling out intel sounds like a lot of fun. I would also like to have seen more discussion around logi, but perhaps that is just my corp that values logi more.

PVP Skirmishing is a very rare class, as it's very instructor intensive. However, the best way to learn is through practical experience. I find that soloing is the best way to practice this, as skirmishing is pretty much you alone, just with some friends a few gates back.

Grab some Atrons or whatnot and go practice. Worst that can happen is you die and learn.

[20:58:13] CCP Unifex > loving the Tweed thing

#11 Arrek

Arrek
  • Pip

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:50 PM

I found the class very worthwhile. Looking at the notes I took, new and useful information: tanking, fleet ops, a lot on fleet comms, a whole section on delivering a recon report, fleet roles, fleet manouvres.

Just as valuable, if not more so, the roam. The tip on keeping one's voice calm is gold. I got valuable experience flying a Griffin, something I never tried before. Probably the best thing about the roam is that it's given me confidence that a PVP event can be FCed an executed competently, which gives me the positive attitude towards PVP I've been looking to acquire.

The poster above who mentioned the lack of quality of some of the screenshots that were used as slides - I have to agree. Jpegs are no good for detail. Must be PNG.

I asked two or three questions and they were all covered competently, without the tangents into irrelevant detail that often occur in the EVE community.

I'm much looking forward to your next offering.

#12 Laura Agathon

Laura Agathon
  • Pip

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

It was fantastic, I'm definitely going to recommend this to my corpmates.

I'm keeping an eye on your announcements, and looking forward to the next class. :)

EDIT:

Oh, and thanks for running it in the AU TZ, very much appreciated, we don't get much love regarding Op times usually.

Edited by Laura Agathon, 01 January 2015 - 01:44 PM.

#13 Atticus Holmes

Atticus Holmes
  • Pip

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

I haven't been able to make any of your classes up to this point, which is why I stayed up really late to sit in the lecture part (I'm in EST). Unfortunately with downtime, I just had to go to sleep so I missed what looks like an awesome roam. I look forward to coming to the next one.

I thought the lecture was excellent - pictures/screenshots/tables that were linked have been saved as a nice collection of material to go back to, full credit to you. While one of the screenshots was a little hard to see with a yellow vs red box, I think the point was made and I'm sure anyone on the roam got to see the real thing. I asked a question in fleet about changing the size of the grid, and I promptly received replies that answered my question. Thank you.

I will say that in my time in EVE I have heard lots of good things (and only good things) about Agony classes. I'm happy to say that the class was exactly as advertised. While I may have missed the roam, due only to me not being in the timezone of the intended audience, I think the the same-day class and roam is better; you get to practice what you've just spoken about and everyone (for the most part) is already there, ready and willing. I look forward to the next Agony class scheduled.

Thanks again to Luna, 'Lucy' and Yamir.    

#14 Othran

Othran

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

Remember that you graduated so you can come back as alumni (free) for any PvP-Basic roam/class you like.

Oh and you can trust me on this as I am the poster child - alumni do have more fun at times ;)

Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.