This is an idea I've had for quite a while, and have posted it to the EvE-O forums. If you like the idea, give it some support. I have one CSM member that liked it, and he's brought it to the attention of CCP Rise, who kindly added the dev tag to the thread with a random comment.
Here's the idea from the forum thread:
I would like an anchorable object that you deploy in space (like a secure can), which creates a "decoy ship".
- It would have a Sensor strength to make it scannable by probes.
- It would have a paper thin tank (no matter what ship it was mimicking).
- It would be single use, meaning once deployed it would stay in space until it "expired" or until it was destroyed.
- It would be temporary.... probably lasting several hours, but perhaps a day or two (we should debate what is reasonable).
- It would be smallish (like about the size of a mobile warp disruptor bubble, so any ship could utilize it).
- It would be treated as disposable (think build costs similar to a small mobile warp disruptor bubble).
The simple version: It mimics your ship: If you deploy it in a taranis, it appears as a taranis, with your name, your corp ticker, your alliance ticker, your militia ticker, a speed of zero, et al, on everyone's overview (and dscan). If you deploy it in an Avatar, it appears as an Avatar with your name, your corp ticker, et al, on everyone's overview (and dscan).
This more desireable, but harder to code version: Allow the deployer to chose a ship type to mimic, and perhaps even a character (or none) to mimic (with their corp name, ticker, etc). This would need to be done prior to "onlining" the decoy ship, and wouldn't be alterable once onlined. Then a taranis pilot could deploy an Revenant under the name TSID (or some such thing). If this takes "too much" coding, then simple version would be just fine!
Let me know of any suggestions on how to improve this. I see a lot of entertaining uses for this module!