Photo

[Feedback] PVP-BASIC August 8/9 @ 08:00

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

Terrific class, roam was... well, we covered a lot of territory :)  173 systems!  Will write more later, but for now, here's a feedback thread for you to share your thoughts about the class and roam, good, bad, or indifferent!

tbSYwif.png?1

What you do for yourself dies with you, what you do for others is immortal.

BASIC | WOLFPACKS | ADVANCED | HSSR | EYES OF THE KILLER | STEALTH BOMBRS | FLYBYS | SKIRMISHING | INTERMEDIATE

The only chance you get is the one you take.

Redemption Road - Free Public Roams and Other Events!

Public Chat: Redemption Road - Mailing List: Redemption Roams

Roc’s Rule #286:  A real friend never lets you do anything stupid … alone.

m3gAb3q.png

#2 Gerald

Gerald
  • Pip

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the great instruction! I found the class very informative. It solidified some basic concepts, and also taught me why certain things are done or not done. I missed the roam unfortunately, but I will be back for the next PVP-BASIC class to make it up. Thanks again!

#3 Kiralansalthale

Kiralansalthale
  • Pip

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

Enjoyed the class, so thanks Greygal for that. I wondered if a web-based presentation pack might have helped visual learners understand things easier during elements of the class though (I say this as a military instructor rather than someone bitching about not having enough pictures :P). I thought the pace was excellent and the content was appropriate and well delivered.

As for the roam, well that was long and, for most of it, rather dull, but that wasn't for lack of trying on the FC's part and the scouts/skirmishers were also working hard, so thank you all for that.  The only point I would raise is I get that a fleet needs to be fast moving in order to make best use of limited opportunities for fights. I get that there's not really much time or flex for people to hold us back, epsecially in null, however this WAS a training fleet for some people that had never been in a PVP fleet, let alone one going through null and some of the jumpalignwarpjumpalignwarp moments didn't help those that were trying to find their feet and there wasn't much opportunity for people to ask question to cement their understanding. The ECM group and channel helped immensely as it allowed us to chat and get hints and tips so thanks for that Gizz.

All in all, an excellent weekend with a great bunch of people and I'm looking forward to future classes. Thanks to everyone involved, especially the alumni, the Agony members that volunteered to come along and help us out and the Agony staff that organised and ran this.

Basic - 20130809

#4 Zael Serine

Zael Serine
  • PipPip

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

The class - Great as always! Even though i have attended before, it's still great fun to chat and fly with students and members of Agony. 

The Roam - Kind of barren sadly. FC and Agony did a great job and trying to make it interesting with the lack of targets.

I feel guilty for holding up some of the members

I got stuck 5 minutes behind at one point

I ended up 30 jumps away when i had to refit

I consistently made rookie mistakes that got me killed.

A frustrating roam in terms of my own mistakes. 

As a whole, this roam may not have been combat intensive, but the Students would have seen new concepts, and learnt valuable lessons.

Great job agony,

Special thanks to Grey and Caldak.

#5 Othran

Othran

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

The roam was hard work for the Agony peeps what with wormholes, a multiboxing bomb run, students getting confused and the general lack of a suitable fight.

As the roam went on the skirmishers were chasing down anything and everything in an attempt to stir up some fights.

Unfortunately roams like this happen from time to time, not much you can do except keep moving fast.

For anyone who got left behind/lost/whatever during the roam - don't worry about it as it has happened to everyone. It will happen to you again at some point :)

Thanks to everyone who put the work in, you can't win them all. See how the east is next week mmm?

Oh and special mention to species8472 who stopped the Drake dead in its tracks. I have radial velocity on overview so I saw that go negative when you hit him B)

Edit - don't rely on anyone else to make the wormhole bookmarks for you, do it yourself. Its more than a little embarrassing to be asking for help out of a wormhole......

Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#6 Lucre

Lucre
  • Pip

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

Fantastic Class, informative and insightful.

Despite the lack of opponents, the Roam was great fun and an invaluable learning experience. Bought home just how much I need to sharpen my skills.

Thanks to all the Agony scouts, Graygal and Caldak.

#7 Para 500T

Para 500T
  • Pip

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:43 AM

Class instructor Greygal did a great job to fill the rather dry class material with life and keep everybody on the topics. Great work!

Two suggestions for the practical part of the class: 

1. If possible, move students together with the sqadleaders in separate teamspeak channels so they can explain what happens in more detail and in a more intimate environment.

2. If possible, move the fleet through some systems at the speed Caldak was moving us during the roam. This might help students to get an idea for the roam.

I had fun during the roam, despite the lack of targets.

The good thing is that I now have a decent idea how-to behave in a fast moving hydra fleet (although I got lost once or twice) and how things work together to transform a blobb into a dangerous fleet.

My most memorable moment was the moment we got bombed. I had just started to orbit our bubble, when I heard the Bomb warning. I clicked into open space, hit the AB button, turned the camera around to check the rest of the fleet and found 20 plus wrecks. Mighty impressive what bombs can do to a frigate fleet.

Special thanks to Captain Caldak for a steady hand on the FC-rudder and Greygal for cat herding and constant broadcasts where to go next. If in doubt warp to Greygal! :)

And of course the other Agony members who volunteered to fly with us, thanks for a great experience in nullsec.

You guys made my first trip into null sec a good one.

Basic - 20130809

#8 Oweim

Oweim
  • PipPip

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:38 AM

As always, flying in an Agony Frigate Fleet is an experience to truly savor.  I won't lie, it was disappointing to find such a dearth of targets but that is really not something that can be controlled.  This roam was a bit different in feel as I was sitting outside around the outdoor fireplace with GreyGal and Gizz, not only was this the first time I've flown in EvE with others in person I had to focus on fleet comms and not get caught up in the onsite dialogue.  Purely my opinion, but for the Agony roams I've had the pleasure of being part of I felt this was the 'loosest' fleet comms has been.  I feel for newer players the multiple choices of fleet commands to move through gates (Hop, Through, J, etc) may have caused some of the lag for students.  But as always thanks to everyone in Agony who supported the roam the skirmishers, thanks to Greygal my friend, thanks to a great guy in Gizz for coming down, and to Caldak for leading us on another great roam.

temporary_zps14f86475.jpg

temporary_zps2de3b29a.jpg

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
BASIC-20120310

#9 Caldak

Caldak

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

Glad you guys enjoyed.

Was disappointed to go into Delve were there were 200+ people and only action is a multi box guy doing a bomb run.

The game does still amaze me were other online games people will go it hard, come to EVE and the scales of victory come out, if it isn't in their favour of 99% walk away without a loosing a single ship they walk away.

Still we stuck it out for hours on end, covered a lot of ground. All I can say, the like of Test and Co won't be finding us going down in that area again.

Anne Bonney, a notorious pirate in her own right, told her husband, Calico Jack Bonney, as he was captured by pirate hunters,
“if you'd have fought like a man you needn't hang like a dog”.

Done some class's

#10 Jheherrin

Jheherrin
  • PipPip

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

Great roam. Reminded me what I miss about small gang pvp.

I did make a total tit of myself when we logged back in after downtime, but I put that down to healthy eve paranoia and having been caught in log on traps before. Really sorry for the panicky squeal on ts :).

It is nice to see the differences in null sec between now and 7 years ago.

It was also very odd seeing all my old bookmarks from years ago as we travelled through Delve and Fountain, especially all the ones we used to have to make 15km past every gate. Warp to zero changes a lot of things.

Engineers Motto: If it doesn't fit, force it, If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.

PVP Motto : If it moves, shoot it. If it doesn't move, shoot it, it might move later.

#11 Othran

Othran

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

Your old WTZ bookmarks are useful for making drag bubble tacs (bookmarks) quickly so don't delete them.

Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#12 Itkovian Beddict

Itkovian Beddict

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

Your old WTZ bookmarks are useful for making drag bubble tacs (bookmarks) quickly so don't delete them.

How?

#13 Othran

Othran

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

How?

You don't have to bother trying to "navigate" around the gate. You warp to the WTZ tac (15km past the gate), hit mwd and you're @ 50km in one cycle.

I realise this may be trivial for the people who put drag bubbles up a lot but for people returning to game its useful ;)

Edit - actually I guess a lot of you don't realise the extent of WTZ bookmarks in the past. In fact they were "warp 15km past the gate bookmarks" - from all gates in every system. CCP freaked out as it killed nodes (at the time) because everyone loaded all bookmarks on jump-in regardless of system.

Today's word is :

#14 Itkovian Beddict

Itkovian Beddict

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

Makes sense.