Photo

3D HDTV - Passive or Active

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ronat

Ronat

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

Well looks like I am in the market for a new main TV. My Samsung 50" plasma that I bought about 5.5 years ago has formed a 1 pixel horizontal line across the screen. From my research, it's only a matter of time before the lines multiply and it's almost NHL playoff time. At least the set was only about $850 at the time and I love the quality of plasma vs. LCD at the time. I'm debating between passive and active shutter 3d on my next set. I was wondering from those of you that have them, which one you have and do you like it. I know passive is easier on your eyes in terms of eye fatigue and weight, much cheaper glasses, no batteries, but the vertical (or horizontal?) resolution is cut in half. I guess my main thing is I don't want to get tired or a headache from watching 3d, so passive might be my best choice. My next choice will be a minimum of 60". I didn't go larger, because I sit 8.25 feet from the and 720p TV content is what I mostly watch, but I can move about 2-3 feet closer before seeing pixels.
Posted Image

#2 Audrey Koshka

Audrey Koshka

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

I've been severely unimpressed with my active 3DTV, but then again I've decided 3D is a gimmick in general.
And yeah, small gang includes triage carriers now. Literally everyone uses them for all the things. - Ripard Teg, said unironically
Posted Image
BASIC-20120310 WOLFPACKS-20120420 ADVANCED-20120418

#3 Ronat

Ronat

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

I heard it's useless on anything under 60" and if you have a good home theater projector it's actually really nice. I wasn't planning on buying a new TV. I figured finishing the basement and getting a projector would be the next 'TV' I bought.
Posted Image

#4 Audrey Koshka

Audrey Koshka

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

I heard it's useless on anything under 60" and if you have a good home theater projector it's actually really nice. I wasn't planning on buying a new TV. I figured finishing the basement and getting a projector would be the next 'TV' I bought.

I don't like it even in the theater, so it's more than that. If your TV had a little more life left in it I'd say wait for 4k, but we're pretty early on the curve for that. (http://www.tigerdire...p?EdpNo=7674736) is the lowest I've seen for 4k, and that's under your desired size. What I'm really excited for is a 4k monitor to replace my central 30" 2560x1600 display. (Plan to leave my wing 27" 2560x1440s as is) Sharp has a nice 32" 4K available but NVidia's consumer cards don't play well with DisplayPort MST yet - I'm hoping the 700 series rumors are true and they'll use that opportunity to bring driver support for these downlevel. (In order to get 60hz the 4K monitors present themselves as two screens, Eyefinity can do two-screen but NVidia supports only 3 exactly, but I'm not an AMD fan so I have to wait)
And yeah, small gang includes triage carriers now. Literally everyone uses them for all the things. - Ripard Teg, said unironically
Posted Image
BASIC-20120310 WOLFPACKS-20120420 ADVANCED-20120418

#5 Kaatchina

Kaatchina

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

3D is a lot more impressive at home and specifically on video games than it is in a movie theater. Movie theaters have very little depth effect and the depth you can get in a movie doesn't quite compare to what you can get out of a game engine. Whether or not active or passive is the best choice will mostly come down to the total price. Projectors work really well but are noisy and you need a very dark room, so it's not ideal all the time. Active 3D screens that i've used work extremely well under any circumstances and if you are going to play games with it then you won't be disappointed.
I am terrible at this game.

#6 Ronat

Ronat

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

Yeah, I won't be able to wait for 4k with this purchase. Kaatchina do you use an active shutter set? This will not be a projector. A projector would be for when I finish the basement and can control light an encase the projector in a proper structure to absorb sound and dissipate heat. It will either be plasma or a local dimming led/lcd screen.
Posted Image

#7 Ronat

Ronat

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

Well I bought a Panny 65vt50, which is awesome.  I didn't setup 3d until a couple weeks ago, but it looks awesome!

Posted Image

#8 ROX Genghis

ROX Genghis

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

Plasma FTW, huh?  I got a plasma about 7 years ago when they were pretty clearly better than LCD.  At the time the consensus seemed to be that Plasma was dying and LCD and others were going to pass it in quality. 

#9 Skrewed

Skrewed

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

I bought a Sony w802a about 6 weeks ago. And I'm happy with it. All the newer tv's have rear facing speakers so you need something better for sound. I still haven't tried out the 3d though, not something that I really care for.

Also haven't hooked up games to it yet. Supposedly it's one of the better ones for gaming as it has a decent refresh rate.

#10 Ronat

Ronat

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Plasma FTW, huh?  I got a plasma about 7 years ago when they were pretty clearly better than LCD.  At the time the consensus seemed to be that Plasma was dying and LCD and others were going to pass it in quality. 

Local-dimming LED maybe better than it now, but that's way out of my price range.  Plasma has been improving too over the years.  My main downside for plasma when I recommend it is glare, but glare isn't an issue in my main seating areas and controllable with ddestroys on the side.

I bought a Sony w802a about 6 weeks ago. And I'm happy with it. All the newer tv's have rear facing speakers so you need something better for sound. I still haven't tried out the 3d though, not something that I really care for.

Also haven't hooked up games to it yet. Supposedly it's one of the better ones for gaming as it has a decent refresh rate.

Yeah, someone asked me that during the football game.  Where's the speakers on this thing.  I hadn't thought about, but I said probably on the back bottom side, which we confirmed.  I have a 5.1 setup for it, so it's not an issue for me.  Good sound makes a huge difference.  I recommend having at minimum a left, right, center, sub setup, but those two side speakers make a huge difference in sports, movies, actions, even stuff like planet earth.  You start to feel in the middle of it when the sound surrounds you.  Although, I wouldn't spend a huge amount of money on high end speakers, unless you have a room built for it.  The room can make a more dramatic enhancement to your speaker setup than putting a few thousand into an awesome receiver and speaker setup.

Posted Image

#11 Virto Nex

Virto Nex

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

Well CNET ranks their top 3 tvs, as far as picture quality, as plasma. 1. Panasonic Zt60, vt60, and the old pioneer kuro. It also has the best value TV ever as a plasma, Panasonic st60. So it seems like plasma wins lol.
"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." - John Paul Jones

"They see me Trollin', They hatin', Pa-trollin' And tryin' to catch me flyin' dirty.
Tryin' to catch me flyin' dirty.
Tryin' to catch me flyin' dirty."

My Blog: Cannon Fodder

BASIC-20120427 ADVANCED-20120418

I like my ribbons!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 Skrewed

Skrewed

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

CNet reviewers are very heavily biased towards plasma. And they he readily admits it. I probably over analyzed things too much before I bought mine.

#13 Itkovian Beddict

Itkovian Beddict

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

CNet reviewers are very heavily biased towards plasma. And they he readily admits it. I probably over analyzed things too much before I bought mine.

I'm curious, what is it that makes them 'biased' towards plasma?

#14 Skrewed

Skrewed

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

They consistently review plasma tv's higher. My experience is that today it's really a toss up. Somewhere I saw where their main tv guy doesn't like the color over saturation you get on lcd/led and is very stuck on plasma blacks. I do like that cnet publishes the settings they use, they are a great starting point for getting a much better picture than straight out the box. For me, I found that glare on both, with current models, is rather bad either way.

I've got a 5-6 year old plasma in my office and I can say that it's only been in the last 18 months or so that I'd consider replacing it with an led one. 

#15 Virto Nex

Virto Nex

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:39 PM

I've been reading a lot on avs forums about tvs lately because I'll be in the market soon, and just about everyone there agrees that plasma is better with the exception of bright rooms. That's also what I've experienced seeing tvs in person, I had a mid range Samsung lcd from about 4 years ago, my roommate got a dirt cheap Samsung plasma that was about 2 years old and his picture quality blew mine away.
"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." - John Paul Jones

"They see me Trollin', They hatin', Pa-trollin' And tryin' to catch me flyin' dirty.
Tryin' to catch me flyin' dirty."

My Blog: Cannon Fodder

BASIC-20120427 ADVANCED-20120418

I like my ribbons!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#16 Ronat

Ronat

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

I've been reading a lot on avs forums about tvs lately because I'll be in the market soon, and just about everyone there agrees that plasma is better with the exception of bright rooms. That's also what I've experienced seeing tvs in person, I had a mid range Samsung lcd from about 4 years ago, my roommate got a dirt cheap Samsung plasma that was about 2 years old and his picture quality blew mine away.

If you can control the lighting for potential glare issues, plasma is the cheapest for great picture quality.  They may cost a couple more bucks a month to run than LED blacklit LCDs, but it's not much and overstated.  I do have a Vizo razor backlit LCD from about 3 years ago.  My plasma beats it easily. 

Looks like full array or local dimming is dropping nicely on most brands, but until they get close to plasma or I need it in a bright room I'll stick with plasma:  http://www.amazon.co...RLSU_B0074FGMEW

I ended up going with with my 65vt50 as they were clearance out old the 65vt50 ($1420 on my wall) to make room for the new vt60.

Posted Image