Civilization peaks: BEER-dispensing arcade game created

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Othran

Othran

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Alcohol and fighting games – what could go wrong? :rolleyes:

http://www.theregist...er_arcade_game/

"Gaming has got very social but also very antisocial these days," Carroll, who works as a creative technologist for the team, said. "There's no culture of going to an arcade, beating someone, and looking at their face and trash talking them right there and then. We're trying to bring that same environment back. Then if you add drinking, then everyone wins!"
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#2 Maudite 9

Maudite 9

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Brilliant! And since I live pretty close to Big Boss Brewery, I'm hoping to see one of these at the next Asheville beer festival.
"Across the fields the wagon swept; its cargo bounced and rolled and lept; the Gnome atop, his brow a-sweat, prayed to Heaven his mead had kept."

#3 Othran

Othran

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Do they operate a "winner stays on" would be my worry.....
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#4 Kaeda Maxwell

Kaeda Maxwell

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

What I take away from this; The people that made this have never been on xbox live comms. The people that made this failed to realise that those of us that remember arcades have long since reached wine drinking age, some may even order sherry without flinching these days. :P

BASIC-20101226 (Kohana Maxwell)
WOLFPACKS-20101228 (Kohana Maxwell)
I R HAZ BLOG; http://kaedamaxwell.blogspot.com/

Posted Image

#5 Dybbuch

Dybbuch

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

some may even order sherry without flinching these days.

:P

do you mean derren?

#6 KTog

KTog

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

What I take away from this;

The people that made this have never been on xbox live comms.
The people that made this failed to realise that those of us that remember arcades have long since reached wine drinking age, some may even order sherry without flinching these days.

Oh come on now, you're never to old to enjoy a good beer. It is an interesting way to generate buzz about the brewery though.
BASIC - 1906092100

WOLFPACKS-20091215

#7 Carver

Carver

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

some may even order sherry without flinching these days.

do you mean derren?

Yes. Yes he does.
<18:28:33> "[AGONY] Carver" was removed from server group "Super Admin" by "[AGONY] Carver".

#8 roigon

roigon

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

What I take away from this;

The people that made this have never been on xbox live comms.
The people that made this failed to realise that those of us that remember arcades have long since reached wine drinking age, some may even order sherry without flinching these days.

Oh come on now, you're never to old to enjoy a good beer. It is an interesting way to generate buzz about the brewery though.

<beersnob mode>
I'm sorry but a gimmick arcade game does not scream quality beer to me. Quality beer is drank in a slightly stuffy brown bar with dim lights and an interior made out of brown woodwork that's at least three times as old as I am, with some soft music playing in the background and poured by a slightly disinterested barkeep.

Also there is no quality beer in the old colonies. Those folks there are still a few hundred years too early to be able to produce quality.
</beersnob mode>

#9 Othran

Othran

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

The USA used to be absolutely bloody awful for beer. That started changing around the late 1980s/early 1990s and now there's hundreds (if not thousands) of really good micro-breweries. The mainstream brewers are just as crap as they have always been.
Today's word is :

#10 Kaeda Maxwell

Kaeda Maxwell

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

The USA used to be absolutely bloody awful for beer. That started changing around the late 1980s/early 1990s and now there's hundreds (if not thousands) of really good micro-breweries.

The mainstream brewers are just as crap as they have always been.

If a monk didn't personally pee in the barrel it doesn't count Othran. :P

BASIC-20101226 (Kohana Maxwell)
WOLFPACKS-20101228 (Kohana Maxwell)
I R HAZ BLOG; http://kaedamaxwell.blogspot.com/

Posted Image

#11 Othran

Othran

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

I find it odd to be defending yanks but I first went to the USA in late 1989. Prelude to Iraq #1. Beer was absolute unmitigated shite. You needed drugs to drink the damn beer which IMHO explained the USMC of the time. /me ducks ;) Next visit of note was Boston in 1993 and dear gods the choice of beer (lager and ale) was incredible. Ironically I see the micro-brewery culture being imported back into the UK from the US. Some very nice pale ale being done in the UK again. Then again the UK exports more "Indian meals" to India than the other way around - and has done for 25 years - so who the hell knows where your horsemeat is coming from :D The horsemeat stuff is a Euro thing. I blame the French :P
Today's word is :