Photo

[Feedback] PVP-BASIC February 15/16, 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:14 AM

Thanks everyone for a terrific class today! Ya'll were terrific, lots of great questions (made me think hard a few times!), I was sooo impressed with how everyone held cloak perfectly the very first time (that just never happens!), and really enjoyed spending the day with you. Can't wait till the roam tomorrow! We love feedback! Please share your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, concerns, and comments - good, bad, or ugly - we appreciate them all! I'll do my best to update this post tomorrow after the roam with some thoughts about the roam - it should be a good one! GG

What you do for yourself dies with you, what you do for others is immortal.

BASIC | WOLFPACKS | ADVANCED | HSSR | EYES OF THE KILLER | STEALTH BOMBRS | FLYBYS | SKIRMISHING | INTERMEDIATE

The only chance you get is the one you take.

Redemption Road - Free Public Roams and Other Events!

Public Chat: Redemption Road - Mailing List: Redemption Roams

Roc’s Rule #286:  A real friend never lets you do anything stupid … alone.

m3gAb3q.png

#2 Jeremiah Cole

Jeremiah Cole

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

I was referred here by the CEO of my corp, and after experiencing the class I can definitely say it was a solid 4+ hours well spent. It's definitely something I wouldn't mind joining up for as an alumni in the future. Can't wait for the roam tomorrow, thanks!

#3 Zea

Zea
  • PipPip

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

Another great class! Totally shocked nobody died... Jeeze, we were even undocked.

#4 Zamorious

Zamorious
  • Pip

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

I enjoyed the class. My wife was out of town yesterday, so I had children duty. It was a handful, and luckily there was plenty of lecture before we had to undock, otherwise I'm not sure I would have completed the class. Although I've done some group pvp in the past, I still learned plenty of new tricks. Great job to Greygal and the other members of Agony that helped the class. I hope I can make it to the roam today. It all depends on what time my wife makes it home. If I don't make this one, I will definitely be signing up for a future roam. Oh, and I will be signing up for the more advanced classes as well. My one complaint, I should have taken this class years ago. :P Again, great job!

#5 Brother Damage

Brother Damage
  • Pip

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for the class, was very informative !

#6 Reinforce

Reinforce
  • Pip

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Great course. I've attended several alliance pvp roams and it was a mess. Now that I've seen what a real pvp fleet should be like, I look forward to tomorrow's roam.

#7 Urkhan

Urkhan
  • PipPip

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

Really really thanks, loved the experience :-) Cheers

#8 boosthr

boosthr
  • Pip

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

Great roam, and Griffins scare people!

#9 Alonn Jaxx

Alonn Jaxx
  • Pip

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

Well what can i say.... Fantastic. I've been in Eve uni on my alt for several months now and been roaming with them and well i learned more in this class (with a flight attendent teaching... well GG sounds like one) than i have done in the previous 4 months. As for the roam. Great great great. Putting the class into practice. Kills... Killed... Podded. Reship Moar kills jumped by a 3rd fleet nearly dead... more kills then a fantastic warp into another fleet and pop. I really enjoyed all of this and will attend future class roams and other classes. Most fun i've had in eve so far

#10 Caldak

Caldak

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

We had some good cross section of experiences. Gank or 2 of single ships, A plan go wrong were 1/2 fleet got caught with Sabre bubble, must of been the Loki that gave them the drop on us, a good semi frigate fight with escaping the blue feast that followed them in, a fight were we killed the fast chasing ships before the backup arrived, some good warping around and trying to get the better angle of a fight, lots of warping, bookmarks, pod express. In all for the new students I will say you got a good mix on the first time out. That's what you sign up for in Basic's getting the experience of things you would normally not find yourself doing or been in. Eve is a different beast, you don't respawn with all your gear, and this does make a lot of people risk adverse, but for 1 day you took it to anybody that had their hand out, out numbered, out gunned and you stepped up as strangers to enjoy it. SO from me, thanks for putting those little frigates online, was fun.

Anne Bonney, a notorious pirate in her own right, told her husband, Calico Jack Bonney, as he was captured by pirate hunters,
“if you'd have fought like a man you needn't hang like a dog”.

Done some class's

#11 OvTopik

OvTopik
  • Pip

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Awesome 2 nights. GG hit just the right balance of laid back fun v objective syllabus, and Caldak was always cool and collected it tight spots with what must have been a 'herd of cats' from his point of view. Can't believe how much I learned. Really looking foreword to more classes and tagging along on the next roams. Top marks for a top corp! Edit: PS. Did anyone fraps the roam? A youtube link would be great to go over it. It all happens so fast!

#12 Swahjak

Swahjak
  • Pip

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

First of all, had a great time! Have been on and off with EVE for the last couple of years trying to find out what the 'fuzz' is all about. Well, I found out. Still reading back on what we have actually done and encountered for my mind could not keep up with it.... Caldac, GG, Agony & all the others, I thank you for this great experience! Really looking forward to getting into more bubles, fights and more with you guys. Can I sign up for the next class yet!? ;) Edit: Just thought of something that I didn't get the chance / just didn't ask: We were at a gate, orbiting at 500. The FC called hop, so we did. What i noticed is that when you press your "hop" button your ship stops moving but it actually took a while to jump. During this time I got a bomb on my *ss. It din't matter to much but when you press the jump button and have to wait you are just a sitting duck? Can you still be locked / does the lock drop?

#13 Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn
  • Pip

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

I took this class after watching the fun my bf was having on roams with Agony...despite my abilites, with help from my translator and awesome help from Greygal and a couple of the other students I was able to complete the classroom portion successfully (I did find the crosstalk in chat distracting) and then I decided to take a risk and fly a ship I've never flown before the dreaded Griffin (I actually had to run out and buy some of the skillbooks and train up the skills) then I had to kick my beer drinking poutine eating hauler alt (who thought he had the weekend off) out of station to bring me the ships and mods I needed...and then wait.....and wait...finally the time for the roam arrived and we undocked and hopped into the first system and lost the fleet...panic set in I felt so fail...one jump and I was lost...my translator said to take a deep breath and told me where the fleet was and we warpped like hell to catchup...I hit the first losec gate and hesitated...again my translator told me warp to gate and jump, remember no bubbles in losec! And 2 hops later there was a local full of purple!
Losing my first Griffin (not my first ship loss) and them my pod (that was a first) showed me that there is life after podding. And the first thing to do after being podded is to update your clone...it prevents you from having to hop 2 gates back to a medical station and them update your clone (no skillpoints were lost in the making of this roam).
My first kill was the Scorpion very tasty. I had never seen that ECM Burst mod in action but I managed to keep locking him up, and fired my jams and missles at him.
The rest of the roam is a blur (at least I warped @100 to Torin, bad translator..he still has a sore arm..I had to kiss it better).
After a break for dinner (no poutine) I went back and joined the hit and run fleet that Caldak ran and reshipped into a rifter and we got this nice kill.
When we got back to Berta I took my translator dancing for a bit (you put the speakers face down on the floor and turn the stereo up so you can feel the vibrations in the floor) then I let him go bombing on his own for a bit while I made more food!

My day was awesome and now my translator (Noslen Nosilla) and I are going to have to play "Rock, Paper, Sissors, Lizard, Spock" to see who goes on the Agony Roams.

Thanks Agony!!!

#14 Othran

Othran

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

1) +1 for Lowkey. Good work. Really very very impressed with your "presence" on fleet. You are a reassuring voice even when someone is killing you :) 2) More ECM really if we're going to play blobbie stuff - fine balance etc. 3) Sorry to Agony bombers, last I heard etc etc. For PvP-Basic I think we may be in danger of focusing on the blob too much? Was fun as always. Next time :)
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#15 Othran

Othran

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

My day was awesome and now my translator (Noslen Nosilla) and I are going to have to play "Rock, Paper, Sissors, Lizard, Spock" to see who goes on the Agony Roams.
Thanks Agony!!!

You're the deaf lady yes? Edit - apparently this is not so good a question in the modern world, so sorry if it offends.

If so I can tell you its entirely possible to do "corp pvp" without anything other than broadcasts as one of Othran's alts does it in a Japanese corp from time to time (DT +/- 2 is quiet). It's by no way ideal but you can do it. I have ZERO idea what the hell they're on about but its fun to go (literally) clueless grunt at times.

Solo pvp is obviously possible.
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#16 Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn
  • Pip

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

Thanks Agony!!!

You're the deaf lady yes? Edit - apparently this is not so good a question in the modern world, so sorry if it offends.

If so I can tell you its entirely possible to do "corp pvp" without anything other than broadcasts as one of Othran's alts does it in a Japanese corp from time to time (DT +/- 2 is quiet). It's by no way ideal but you can do it. I have ZERO idea what the hell they're on about but its fun to go (literally) clueless grunt at times.

Solo pvp is obviously possible.

Actually I am the deaf lady...it is very correct to call me deaf, I'm certainly not hearing impaired...I don't hear at all! I wasn't born deaf (I lost my hearing due to an illness) so do not have the close ties that some have to the deaf community but within that community I can tell you that being born deaf is not regarded as there being something wrong or broken with the person. They are not. I won't get into deaf politics (you think corp or alliance politics are bad? Ha!) but hell yes I'm deaf! And thanks for the advice on the pvp we may check that out.

#17 Othran

Othran

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

I may have overdone the "clueless grunt" side of things - I can work out what's what in roams same as you'll be able to after another couple of Agony roams. I am on voice with them but Japanese may as well be Martian to me, there's the odd bit of English so I'm one-up on you in that respect - I dunno why I still fly with them as the CEO is an arrogant asshole even by Japanese standards :D I started flying with them when he'd "quit" (again). Odd feeling being in a corp where you can't read forums, can't understand chat but still manage to get in fights with them. They do use mumble though :( I have a feeling you'll do OK Gwen.
Today's word is :

#18 Itkovian Beddict

Itkovian Beddict

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

They do use mumble though :(

Slight derail - why the Mumble sadface? I've always found that far superior to TS or Vent in both sound quality and interface (although maybe it can't do things I haven't tried to do?)...

Overlay is better too...

#19 Othran

Othran

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

It gets tedious having yet another voice client/server/forums credentials hassle on multiple computers. Personally I liked Vent best. I still do. Mumble may well be superior but in Eve its all about credentials across forums/voice/etc and I cba with it, I really can't.
Today's word is :

#20 Malkowitsch

Malkowitsch
  • Pip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

This course was excellent. The class was informative and well structured. GG your friendly and patient demeanour along with your knowledge and your precision in conveying it contributed a lot to the effective learning environment I experienced. The roam was a lot of fun and kept me on my toes trying to apply as much as of the material from the previous evening as I could and sometimes just in trying to keep up. The FCs information was in depth and truly helpful. I hope I'll be able to partake in more Agony classes in future. This has been one of my best experiences in EVE so far. Thanks a bundle guys :)

BASIC-20130215          WOLFPACKS-20130823         SKIRMISHING-20130920        

#21 Redline1969

Redline1969
  • PipPip

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Overall was very informative and a good time. Greygal, you did a phenomenal job of being patient, articulate, and upbeat throughout the entire class. I do have some suggestions from my perspective, please let me know if I am off base on any of them: Classroom session: 1. If possible have some practical usage of tackling (scram, web, point, damp, track), maybe in low sec. Either pair people up or have Agony folks in bigger ships let the smaller guys take turns tackling to see what it looks and feels like. 2. Go over some additional PVP items like what to do if. For example, if I am being scrammed what is my next move, if I am being damped is there a way to counter it. 3. What can I successful PVP against. I know there a ton of dynamics with this based on skills and whatnot, but it would be nice to know how to assess a battle (this may be too advanced) Roam: I would like to first say that the FC did a great job and I cannot imagine what it takes to FC, let alone FC a large starter PVP fleet. I also understand that there may not be a lot of time to pull over and explain, but I am hoping there could be. 1. Go a bit slower and explain what and why we are doing things. 2. Maybe break up into smaller squads that could work together but be a bit independant too (this might break all the rules of a good fleet, I don't know). Again thank you all Agony folks that helped out and taught us, I really appreciate your efforts. I had a ton of fun and am looking forward to my next roam and class.

#22 Sianarra

Sianarra
  • Pip

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Great class. I learned a lot which was the point, but really... I learned so much. Lost 2 ships and 2 pods, but gained 5 kills to offset so was a net gain. Count me in on the next class. I'm hooked!

#23 Nos

Nos
  • PipPip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:50 AM

Posted Image And yup Lady Gwendolyn's translator learned stuff too!

#24 dzu

dzu

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Excellent, Nos! and that guy in the red spaceship looks <just> like Caldak :D

#25 Shalashia Mahyisti

Shalashia Mahyisti
  • Pip

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Was a good class, although the announcement of a Provi-trip definitely caused consternation from my corpmates, so I'm glad I missed that part!