Photo

What's it like to be in Agony?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Howdy All! It's time for another "Ask Agony Anything!" style thread - been over a year since our last one! This thread is to ask us anything at all - what's it like to be in Agony, what's it like living in nullsec, debates about favorite pizza toppings, ask us anything at all! To get the conversation started, I thought I'd post some rambling thoughts about myself and Agony here as some of you may be wondering just what it is like to be in the best corp in EVE. Not that I'm biased or anything... B) I took my first Agony Basic class nearly three years ago. It was my first "real" taste of PVP in EVE, and opened up a whole new perspective on the game for me. I took every Agony class I could, bringing back what I learned to my carebear-wormhole corporation. I loved the sense of control and power that I gained from the classes, sure, I still sucked at PVP, but at least when I lost a fight, I understood why! I knew right from the very first time I undocked during that Basic class, that I would one day join Agony, although it took a while for me to have the guts to go for it! I finally joined Agony a year and a half ago, and I've never looked back. Things I never thought I'd ever be able to do in Eve, I do daily - from FCing gangs and teaching classes, debating fittings and hearing off-key Karaoke (fortunately VERY VERY rare!), but mostly just hanging out and flying with the niftiest people in the universe. I get to do this every day, and maybe, so can you! Agony is a PVP corporation. Sure, we've got this reputation as a "training" corp - and trust me, we NEVER stop learning - but PVP-U is just a very small part of what Agony is. Outside of PVP-U, Agony is all about being active PVPers, finding good fights, trying new things - crazy things! - and FLYING WITH GREAT PEOPLE. Yeah, that last bit is where Agony really shines. Sure, we like to see PVP experience on applicants, but having the right attitude and personality is often WAY more important than PVP experience to us. We can teach anyone how to PVP, but we can't teach you to be cool and nifty to hang out with. That you gotta have on your own already :) So if you've ever toyed with the idea of joining Agony, but just aren't quite sure if we're the right home for you, feel free to ask us anything at all right here in this thread. We'll answer your questions, honestly and openly, and do our best to not get derailed too much lol!! :) Looking forward to flying with you! GG

What you do for yourself dies with you, what you do for others is immortal.

BASIC | WOLFPACKS | ADVANCED | HSSR | EYES OF THE KILLER | STEALTH BOMBRS | FLYBYS | SKIRMISHING | INTERMEDIATE

The only chance you get is the one you take.

Redemption Road - Free Public Roams and Other Events!

Public Chat: Redemption Road - Mailing List: Redemption Roams

Roc’s Rule #286:  A real friend never lets you do anything stupid … alone.

m3gAb3q.png

#2 Rynnik

Rynnik

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Hello, I was wondering if you would be able to tell me about Isk earning opportunities in agony. I have heard of an agony pilot named rake yon and all he does is carebears. Is this in fact true?
xXx~E>BeeberFan69<3~xXx

#3 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hello,

I was wondering if you would be able to tell me about Isk earning opportunities in agony. I have heard of an agony pilot named rake yon and all he does is carebears. Is this in fact true?

Leave it to Rynnik to start the trolling off in splendid fashion :)

Isk earning is easy. Undock. Warp to target. Tackle target. Explode target. Loot wreck. Get out of the way when Alistone shows up with his salvagers, he's really mean with those things. Sell loot. Rinse, repeat.

As to Rake... that's a trade secret ;)

BASIC | WOLFPACKS | ADVANCED | HSSR | EYES OF THE KILLER | STEALTH BOMBRS | FLYBYS | SKIRMISHING | INTERMEDIATE

m3gAb3q.png

#4 Othran

Othran

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Who keeps looting my can at the sun?
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#5 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

There's loot at the sun? /me undocks with my noctis....

m3gAb3q.png

#6 Othran

Othran

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

Well it was on your bubble.....
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#7 ToranBrades

ToranBrades

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

I was wondering if you would be able to tell me about Isk earning opportunities in agony.[..]

To be serious about a question that might have been only partially serious to start with, and potentially interesting/relevant to others reading here - the possibilities to make ISK in Agony are relatively limited, at least the possibilities arising specifically due to being in Agony.

As we usually don't live in sov nulsec, there's rarely a safe ratting backyard which would provide some of the common nul income possibilities. Obviously there will be the occasional lucky drop from a kill, but generally PVP will be an ISK sink rather than an ISK source.

Ppl making ISK in Agony usually either do it by running sites in nul (always being careful for ppl that might go out to hunt you) or just plain mission/trading income in hisec. A few over here also sell the occasional PLEX to stay in the positive ISK - overall you can make ISK on the side, but the corp itself can't offer too much on the ISKy side of things - it's just not laid out for that. That's also why we mention "got to be self-sufficient financially" in our recruitment process.

#8 Alistone Malikite

Alistone Malikite

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

They tend to "pop" after 2 hours on their own.

Alternately, as a habitual looter it likely could have been me. When dropping cans they will tend to be looted if you put anything of value in them. Even 1 unit of ammo has value. BUT if you drop a bookmark of the sun or something then it is completely worthless and thus tends to not be looted.
Games are fun because of who you play them with.
If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Alistone Malikite

Alistone Malikite

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if you would be able to tell me about Isk earning opportunities in agony. I have heard of an agony pilot named rake yon and all he does is carebears. Is this in fact true?

The most isk to be had is by looting player wrecks. PVP can be a source of income.

Alternately it is null-sec... so rat, plex, run PI, run epic pirate arcs, scan down WHs, salvage wrecks, or buy/sell stuff on the market. There is lots of isk that will easily fund most T1 combat. It's a lot like hi-sec opportunities, there are just more of them and they often pay better.

EDIT:
... odd... I forgot mining. Where did I leave my covetor...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Othran

Othran

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

BUT if you drop a bookmark of the sun or something then it is completely worthless and thus tends to not be looted.

Good tip, thanks. I suspect this one was "looted" simply because it was on the bubble more than any other reason.
Today's word is :

#11 DaDutchDude

DaDutchDude

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

/me came looking for a Fifty Shades of Grey type of story written by Greygal based on the topic title, left disappointed

All joking aside, if you like casual NPC 0.0 PVP, no blues, no sov, mostly mature types and some very high quality people in all aspects of life and EVE, look no further.
"As always, speak softly and carry a big stick."

BASIC - 1403091800 | WOLFPACKS - 2103091800 | ADVANCED - 0404091800

#12 Alistone Malikite

Alistone Malikite

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Howdy All! It's time for another "Ask Agony Anything!" style thread - been over a year since our last one!

This thread is to ask us anything at all - what's it like to be in Agony, what's it like living in nullsec, debates about favorite pizza toppings, ask us anything at all!

Need more questions. Slow day at work and brimming with information to share... like the suggestion "do not train carrier" on your main. Sure it looks simple, you already got BS V for better PVE/PVP performance, you already spent a year getting all your core capacitor skills, you already have logistics V for triage...

But then you realize that you need another 3 months of navigation skills (Warp drive operation V, Jump drive operation V, Jump drive calibration V, Jump fuel conservation, capital ships, advanced spaceship command...) => that for maximum rep range you need carrier 5 => and tactical logistics reconfig for Tech 2 triage => then perfect armor skills... Capital reppers V Capital Remote Rep V armor compensations V, fighters, Capital Energy Transfer V...

If you have already trained EVERYTHING else its fine, and if youre only goal is to use it to move ships you can accomplish that with just a few months for jump drive skills. But, to actually be PVP triage fit is going to take 6+ months of carrier specific training. I'd suggest using an alt account specialized for a carrier; sell them if you decide you don't want it as specialized pilots sell well. Then you don't miss out on all that time to train skills on your main that unlock new ships or enhance the performance of all your ships. In the time it takes you to train a T2 triage carrier you could train All racial Frigate V, EAF V, Interceptors V, Assault Ships V, Covert Ops V, destroyer V, interdictors, All racial Cruiser V, Heavy Assault Ships V, Logistics V, Recon V, Battlecruisers V, Command Ships V, and probably all racial BS V too.

And even have time leftover for new skills like the racial sensor strength skills... which will help all of your ships a little bit.

Just a random little rant that there is a lot more skills needed to "fly" a ship than just to sit in it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 Rynnik

Rynnik

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

Just a random little rant that there is a lot more skills needed to "fly" a ship than just to sit in it.

Alistone rant, best rant. How do you feel about dreads btw?
xXx~E>BeeberFan69<3~xXx

#14 Alistone Malikite

Alistone Malikite

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Alistone rant, best rant. How do you feel about dreads btw?

I have similar feelings about dreads "BUT"

A triage carrier is a "mission critical focal point" for use in PVP. So for triage it is important to have excellent skills because your fleet is depending on you.

I am more comfortable training a dread on a main. A carrier requires capital module skills for remote armor, remote shield, remote energy xfer, local armor/shield for maximum effectiveness. It shares the use of your core capacitor skills.

A dreadnaught requires Capital weapons and local armor. It shares the use of your core capacitor skills. But it also benefits greatly from your gunnery/missile support skills. Because these weapon support skills that your main likely has trained or will train that carry over across all ships you fly I feel that dreadnaught is a better ship to train for than a carrier on your main.

If you happen to be using it locally then limited navigation skills are less problematic. But I still reccommend waiting until after you have all the other other pvp skill that you want before you commit a couple months to a dread.

EDIT: Also, as +1 dps, it is less critical to have perfect skills before using a dread. Your fleet will probably carry on just fine if you die. The same is not true for a traige carrier.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Kobeathris

Kobeathris
  • Pip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

A few questions 1) Do you have any expectations of time commitment? 2) You mention some people mission on Alts when funds get low, what about mains? 3) Are you frequently confined to one particular area of space, if so, does this change often?

#16 Kenda deLagrange

Kenda deLagrange

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

1) not really. It's always RL first and we don't have any CTAs at all. However, one of the important things beeing a Trial is to get noticed, and that's hard if you only log in once per week. On the other hand, noone expects you to be on every night so find something in between maybe :) 2) In Nullsec some people are running sites, if we are near a Nullsec mission agent that's also an option. Wardes are quite rare, so you could also just put a jumpclone in Highsec and do L4s or something, no problem about that (as long as you leave a clone in Nullsec). 3) I think we moved roughly 1-2 times per year over the last couple of years.

#17 Alistone Malikite

Alistone Malikite

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

A few questions

1) Do you have any expectations of time commitment?
Yes, we expect the majority of your time in game to be spent with agony.
We are not an alt corp...
well a lot of us have alts in corp...
in fact there are only 17 actual members of agony and the other 100+ people in corp in game are alts of those agony members.
All joking aside, we do expect the majority of your in game time to be with agony.

2) You mention some people mission on Alts when funds get low, what about mains?
I used to mission on my main who was in AGONY when I was low on funds. It's was not an problem for the AGONY leadership (at least nobody ever said anything about it). But, what was a problem was listening to corpmates having fun PVPing on comms while I was stuck running a boring mission. I have since found other ways to make isk in game. If I'm running a L4 now, it's probably just to relax... Nothing wrong with taking a day off after all.

3) Are you frequently confined to one particular area of space, if so, does this change often?
We have a mobile home. It moves an average of 2ish times a year. We are not confined, but joining corpmates and reshipping usually benefits from keeping your clone and your supplies close to home. We are perfectly happy to stretch across the universe on a fleet through 3 wormholes to the middle of nowhere where you can find navy ravens warping gate to gate.

http://www.agony-unl...l&kll_id=102234

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 Rynnik

Rynnik

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

A few questions

2) You mention some people mission on Alts when funds get low, what about mains?

3) Are you frequently confined to one particular area of space, if so, does this change often?

Even though I left agony recently I am going to give you a slightly more blunt response to your questions since I don't have to be diplomatic and think you might be better served with a bit more info.

1. Once you are a core member of agony there is 0 time commitment - you even gain the cultural privilege of bitching at anyone who dares to imply you should play more.

During the trial period there is a very strong, if unquantified, expectation of time commitment. That means if you fit eve into a busy life with any sort of normalcy you will be just fine. If you are playing eve as a 'second' game on non-raid nights, or about to leave for an extended work trip, or moving to a new home in the next few months, or thinking about selling all your worldly possessions and becoming a missionary than now is NOT the time to apply.

2. People make money on alts or mains and the 'character' used is never a problem. However, Isk IS a problem and you need to a have a plan (and unless you are really special and dedicated) jump cloning your main to run level 4s is about the least likely to work plan out there. Don't expect organized Isk making opportunities, don't expect help or collaboration for pve it can happen but it is really really rare.

3. One of the principles of agony is going anywhere at anytime for fights. Some roams may go clear across the other side of the map and agony fights in all securities of space as the recent stay in fw proved. You are never 'confined' to an area of space but it is worth living and fighting close to home because the teamwork aspect is what agony does best.

Agony is the best small gang pvp lifestyle in the game. I hope works out for you and that you have it takes to be a real contributor in that corp.
xXx~E>BeeberFan69<3~xXx

#19 FistyMcBumBasher

FistyMcBumBasher

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

A few questions

Even though I left agony recently I am going to give you a slightly more blunt response to your questions since I don't have to be diplomatic and think you might be better served with a bit more info.

1. Once you are a core member of agony there is 0 time commitment - you even gain the cultural privilege of bitching at anyone who dares to imply you should play more.

During the trial period there is a very strong, if unquantified, expectation of time commitment. That means if you fit eve into a busy life with any sort of normalcy you will be just fine. If you are playing eve as a 'second' game on non-raid nights, or about to leave for an extended work trip, or moving to a new home in the next few months, or thinking about selling all your worldly possessions and becoming a missionary than now is NOT the time to apply.

2. People make money on alts or mains and the 'character' used is never a problem. However, Isk IS a problem and you need to a have a plan (and unless you are really special and dedicated) jump cloning your main to run level 4s is about the least likely to work plan out there. Don't expect organized Isk making opportunities, don't expect help or collaboration for pve it can happen but it is really really rare.

3. One of the principles of agony is going anywhere at anytime for fights. Some roams may go clear across the other side of the map and agony fights in all securities of space as the recent stay in fw proved. You are never 'confined' to an area of space but it is worth living and fighting close to home because the teamwork aspect is what agony does best.

Agony is the best small gang pvp lifestyle in the game. I hope works out for you and that you have it takes to be a real contributor in that corp.

This is pretty much true.

Rynnik, what is the verdict on RvB. Do you think new pvp'ers will get more out of RvB or FW when first learning the ropes of pvp?

#20 Rynnik

Rynnik

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Rynnik, what is the verdict on RvB. Do you think new pvp'ers will get more out of RvB or FW when first learning the ropes of pvp?

RvB is a bit goofy (way more weird rules than e-uni) but it is super accessible. After my experience with it I would continue to recommend people to go there if I ever became a recruiter again.

Your question is pretty loaded though. I would always recommend people just dive into whatever type of pvp they are interested in and FW is (IMO) one of the best pvp avenues in the game right now. I would recommend both wet behind the ears novices and crusty vets to join fw if they have the inclination. I would never recommend the a new player join the NPC militia corp to 'learn pvp' though.
xXx~E>BeeberFan69<3~xXx

#21 Jysella

Jysella

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

Your question is pretty loaded though. I would always recommend people just dive into whatever type of pvp they are interested in and FW is (IMO) one of the best pvp avenues in the game right now. I would recommend both wet behind the ears novices and crusty vets to join fw if they have the inclination. I would never recommend the a new player join the NPC militia corp to 'learn pvp' though.

Having spent time in both RvB and FW...
RvB is the better place to learn and have super-casual, on-demand pvp, especially for the hisec missioner types who want to run around in frigs and have some lulz.
FW is the better place to go for a more concerted effort in pvp, but I'd agree that the NPC corp is a bad place to be for too long. The fact that it can be run as an income source to pay for the ships is a nice bonus for the more focused pvp player.
BASIC-20120108 WOLFPACKS-20120420 COVOPS-20130420
"Pretty. What do we blow up first?"

Yes, this is my freighter. No, I won't help you move.

#22 Tay

Tay

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

RvB is a great place to get over this fear of losing ships. You can easily crash 10 frigs a night and come out giggling. Or go to Nomaa and try out new fits in solo fights. It's easy going. Bring whatever ship you can fly and can afford, no fixed fleet fits, no skill requirements. One thing though, they're HUGE. If you want to learn something specific you have to be proactive about it and it's not always easy to figure out who has the info you're hunting for. They are very supportive of people who want to learn to FC, all other player skills are a bit hard to come by. Good thing, few will laugh at you about the horrible fit you just lost. Bad thing, few will laugh and show you something better. It's really a question of what you want and where your play style fits in. Goofy "let's see how many frigs we can smash in a day" vs. very serious business coalition warfare in null, and all the shades in between... it's all pvp, but a totally different game.

#23 Othran

Othran

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

I wouldn't wish the FW militia npc corp on my worst enemy. The chat channel is wall to wall smacktards regardless of which militia you're in.
Today's word is :

#24 Quest

Quest

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Having spent time in both RvB and FW...
RvB is the better place to learn and have super-casual, on-demand pvp, especially for the hisec missioner types who want to run around in frigs and have some lulz.
FW is the better place to go for a more concerted effort in pvp, but I'd agree that the NPC corp is a bad place to be for too long. The fact that it can be run as an income source to pay for the ships is a nice bonus for the more focused pvp player.

Just to chime in on the issue of where to go for the novice pilots.

If you have just started PVP-ing and are not quite sure if the PVP life is for you, then by all means some of the above suggestions are quite good. We have many Agony Cores who started out in RvB and myself got the bug when I was in the FW years ago.

Having said that, if you are quite sure that PVP is what you like and have got your feet wet either through attending our classes, alumni fleet or had some experience in PVP in general, then the very best way to get better and enjoy it is to simply apply for Trial with Agony.

I may be biased but when I started I had some 30-ish kills, had a bit of a go flying solo (I sucked big time), I took the class and flew a bit with Agony for a day or two, but I realised just how little I knew when I actually became a Trial with Agony. It is truly amazing how much I learned in those 3 months and how much fun I have had ever since,....it has been more than 3 years to date and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

#25 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

When I started I had no kills. What I like about Agony is that it's not so big that your are lost/a face in the crowd but big enough to give most gangs a good run for their money. That is the felling I get from places like rvb etc... Plus Mentor's give you information that can personally cater for your needs. Being in Echo means I'm everyone's Trial. THERE IS ONLY SO MUCH OF ME TO GO AROUND! :D Loteaus
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image