• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#26 Othran

Othran

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Needs recon 5...

Not for long... :D

Do tell.

We're talking recon 5 here and not cruiser 5 yes?
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#27 Itkovian Beddict

Itkovian Beddict

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

They're changing Covert Ops cloaks to only be fittable on the ships that they are intended for so they can reduce the CPU requirements to 100 (from 10000). The bonus will then reduce the CPU by 20% per level of Recon so at Recon V it will make no difference but at Recon IV you only take a 20 CPU hit rather than 100 as it was before. Anyway, /end derail

#28 Othran

Othran

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Ah I was thinking about neut range. Edit - and we're not derailing his thread, he was the one who said he liked neuts :P
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#29 Jysella

Jysella

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

Needs recon 5...

Do tell.

Since when does the curse get a CPU use reduction on cloaks?
BASIC-20120108 WOLFPACKS-20120420 COVOPS-20130420
"Pretty. What do we blow up first?"

Yes, this is my freighter. No, I won't help you move.

#30 Quest

Quest

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

Needs recon 5...

Do tell.

Since when does the curse get a CPU use reduction on cloaks?

I reckon that he is thinking of Pilgrim.

Force Recons have a CPU reduction so that they can fit Covert Ops cloaks, CCP is removing this bonus and will replace it with an 'ability to fit Covert Ops Cloaks' so no more cloaky Avatars.

Combat Recons don't have CPU reduction bonus obviously as they can't fit Covert Ops cloaks.

#31 Itkovian Beddict

Itkovian Beddict

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

Yeah that was me being an idiot. Was just like 'ah recon IV is about to be useful in some cases, must be relevant!'. This isn't one though so ignore the whole thing :)

#32 Othran

Othran

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

Just to clear this up (in case anyone is wondering), the reason I said the Curse requires Recon 5 is that with L5 you get 37.8km range on medium neuts; with L4 you get 32.8km range. A fleet inty can kite you with L4, with L5 he can't as you'll neut him out. Obviously it makes no odds either way if the inty has boosts.
Today's word is :

#33 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

^Glad we got that cleared up :P

Day 16, was an unavoidable disappointment for me.

The one time there's a consolidated roam on and I have an 'out of body experience' with work, which caused me to log on much later than I would have liked.

I appeared on the scene, about an hour and a half out from DT, with Quest directing a fleet through combat manoeuvres I was later to discover that he was completing a new approach to fleet roams, which I have called, "The Yo-yo Technique." This is where you head out in a bunch of ships, lose them, go back and get some more and lose those, etc... Having discovered what had occurred, prior to my arrival, filled me with the peace that comes from knowing I hadn't lost a ship all night. :P

I caught up with the fleet, just as they were deciding to go in again or not. It was good listening to Quest, and how he called the shots, The intel coming back from Jysella was awesome. I can only aspire to being anywhere near as good as that in the future. The roam ended with Deran valiantly taking on the whole of the opposing fleet, single handedly, through no desire of his own. I realised I wasn't really part of the fleet that night, when I had to remind Quest if he still needed me to provide intel, from the Hemin Gate in RMOC, after everyone had docked up. ;)

As it was getting closer to DT I decided to purchase more Vexors. It showed nothing on the market, as opposed to what everyone else could see. I was later to be pointed out, by GG, that my settings were in Carebear mod. :unsure: With that corrected I bought all that was on the local market and started fitting them out. To my dismay, a lot of what I needed was not locally obtainable. Will have to seek assistance in obtaining these hopefully some time tomorrow.

Must not forget the roam tomorrow. Exciting times ahead.

Loteaus
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#34 Othran

Othran

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

I appeared on the scene, about an hour and a half out from DT, with Quest directing a fleet through combat manoeuvres I was later to discover that he was completing a new approach to fleet roams, which I have called, "The Yo-yo Technique." This is where you head out in a bunch of ships, lose them, go back and get some more and lose those, etc... Having discovered what had occurred, prior to my arrival, filled me with the peace that comes from knowing I hadn't lost a ship all night. :P

Ah it was DarkSide (who incidentally have the best alliance logo in-game IMHO).

Lots of people have played "yo-yo" :D with DarkSide, they're very good small/medium gang pilots.

They also have one of the best inty pilots (and almost certainly the most annoying) in faffywaffy, who you'll no doubt run across sooner or later.

Ahem, I think you meant "roams" rather than "roam" ;)
Today's word is :

#35 Jysella

Jysella

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

I caught up with the fleet, just as they were deciding to go in again or not. It was good listening to Quest, and how he called the shots, The intel coming back from Jysella was awesome. I can only aspire to being anywhere near as good as that in the future.

D'awww. :wub:

You'll get there. I've been doing this interceptor "thing" for over a year now and had some good teachers (Toran, Itko, Caldak, Azual). Just takes getting in there and doing it.

Ah it was DarkSide (who incidentally have the best alliance logo in-game IMHO).

Lots of people have played "yo-yo" :D with DarkSide, they're very good small/medium gang pilots.

They pulled off a brilliantly-executed login trap. Rapier bait best bait.

#36 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Day 17, found me roaming through Nullsec in a fleet of destroyers. The class began with explaining aspects og PVP in Nulsec,Sling shotting, Aggression timers, MWD's, differences between short, medium and long range combat and distances of points, scrams and webs. On the way to our bubble demonstration system, we encountered many opportunities for PVP. Quest and GG were really showing the vast knowledge that Agony possess, which I think all participants benefited from. Hurricanes seemed to be the flavour of the night with a few other Battle cruisers in the mix. a sprinkling of a Stealth bomber and Thrasher. Dessert was to consist of a Megathrone and a Typhoon. Very filling night. There were two times during the roam that I thought my heart would jump out of my chest. First time, was when Quest asked me to recon off the CL-85V gate in 8G-MQV. I so didn't want to let Quest down, or show Agony in a bad light. So I was nervous as hell. I was also hoping my voice sounded calm over the comms. I waited for ever before giving a recon report, due to nothing happening in system, and other things, I thought more important was happening with the fleet. I began to realise that, unless I could actually engage something, saying anything was probably irrelevant. Still didn't stop me from opening my my to report clear skies back to Quest on occasion. The second time, had me holding my breath, as I was to find a large number of ships sitting on the other side of the gate Quest had told me to go through. I powered back to the gate waiting for a number of locks to come my way. Nothing happened. I just sat at the gate and watched as all the ships hopped into the other system, where the fleet was waiting. It required Yamir to suggest I go back through to join the fight, as I thought they might want me to maintain eyes on the other side of the gate. I joined the fight, where the "dessert" was waiting. I pointed a number of ships, was aggressed and had to bounce away. I then came back to the fight, where we completed the battle. I believe the people we de-shipped went back and reshipped into something that was specifically aimed at removing a destroyer fleet. This is where I was aggressed again and eventually lost my ship, like many others. We then sat through DT in a station and then flew back to Berta to reship. It was pretty late, so I sadly had to say good night to all and head to bed. Obviously not straight away, as you now read what I did straight after, while it was still fresh in my head. Loteaus

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#37 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Day 18-19 had me experimenting with my Incursus. Spent a lot of time cruising around Hemin, seeing what ships came in, looking up their details, as well as the pilot's, and assessing if it would be suitable for me to take on. I was asking the guys, who were on at the time, if my ship would have a chance against certain ships that had appeared on scan. They were very helpful. Also hopped to the sun to have a go at locating items of interest, with my D-scan. Realised that a lot of the celestials, in system, were a bit far away. Do some more of that when next it be quiet. Had an Imperial Navy Slicer aggress me and quickly pulled to it's op range of 21km's. I sat there and took the damage and invited other's to see if they could reach him. He managed to get away. I was pleased with having a better understanding of this little ship, (Incursus). I did the same thing with a Slasher, in RMOC and engaged it, close to the gate. It also quickly moved to 7kms off me, outside my range. I attempted to get closer and the scram didn't seem to phase it. He tracked, scrammed a webbed me. I spent the next 2 minutes seeing if I could get any closer. The second minute found me moving towards the gate, while my aggression timer counted down. I hopped back into Hemin and docked up, pleased that I had managed to survive the encounter, ship intact. Was good to practise using my cap booster in real combat. Was pleased with how it went, (thanks Toran for those early practice sessions) Was not so fortunate in another group encounter. Managed to take down a juicy Dramiel, inside a bubble, but lost my Vexor and my pod. Was to finally lose my 6 of 10 Incursus, against an Enyo. Tough nut to crack that one. Thankfully, as my ship went down, another was there to keep the Enyo in play. Learnt a new term of endearment tonight, 'Stop Sucking'. :wacko: Loteaus

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#38 Deran

Deran

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Managed to take down a juicy Dramiel, inside a bubble, but lost my Vexor and my pod

For a 360 mil Dramiel, that's an exchange I'd take any time. NJ.

BASIC-20100220 WOLFPACKS-1203102200

Watch me paste this pathetic palooka with a powerful, paralyzing, poifect, pachydoimous, percussion pitch.

#39 Jysella

Jysella

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Managed to take down a juicy Dramiel, inside a bubble, but lost my Vexor and my pod

For a 360 mil Dramiel, that's an exchange I'd take any time. NJ.

http://www.agony-unl...l&kll_id=101428

Worth every .01 isk we lost to get it. (including Deran's 125M pod)

#40 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

Day 20 was a quiet night again. Myself and 2 other trial's were mucking around in Hemin. I had gone to a gate and started travelling as far as I could go, to design a deeps safe point. Lowkey, Darak and I started talking about how we felt about Agony. Both Darak and Lowkey held the view that they wish they had come across Agony many years before now. The people, the attitude, and the environment were all very appealing. I feel a bit fortunate that I didn't have to wait that long. Just the knowledge and experience in this corp. should be viewed as incredibly valuable to any person really wanting to understand PVP, imo. Even the quality of the trials leaves me embarrassed, as compared to how little I know. Maybe they want notice I don't know much. :ph34r: Loteaus

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#41 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

Day 21 was a nice moment for me. I lost two Incursus. One to a Drake, hanging off station. We tried to take it on, My little ship put up a good fight, but went down fighting. The second Incursus was against a Stabber. I thought it was a frigate, which approached me at one of the gate's in Hemin. It was 11km away from me, so I powered towards it. I was yellow boxed and then aggressed, as I locked on to his ship. I was doing ok, and used my cap booster, to maintain my reppers. Then the guy pulls out a neut, and I was toast. Got my pod out both times. What was a nice moment, was when the fellow said gf in local. This was from a guy, who had been playing for over a year. I took that as a compliment. What I learnt was, I need to learn my ships :blink: , and neuts work better on larger ships, against smaller ones. Loteaus

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#42 Itkovian Beddict

Itkovian Beddict

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

If you're ever unsure what class if ship you are looking at, right click on it in the overview (or d-scan, works for both) and it will give you an option to 'remove x from overview' where x is the ship type (frigate, cruiser, interceptor etc.). This will let you know which it is (obviously don't actually remove it).

#43 Loteaus Seaven

Loteaus Seaven

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

Day 25: Has been a while since my last post. Feeling a little down lately. The Agony guys have been great, but doesn't stop me feeling like I suck big time. :( Did some silly things lately. One situation, involving engaging ships around a gate, that recon's feedback, should have told me to avoid the fight. Will be listening more in the future. just difficult to know when to pull back or go all in. Need to find some middle ground. The guys here are very experienced, which makes me feel...... lacking.... under the pump to perform, and do well, so as not to be seen to suck too long... This is how I personally feel and not anything the guys here are doing to me. The guys here have been really supportive, I just hope I can return their generousity and patience someday. I'm just looking at it from a bottom up perspective as opposed to top down. On another note... You would be nuts not getting into Agony, or some Nullsec corp, that supports you like here. It is so much fun being around a group of people that can laugh at themselves and place you in challenging situations that allow you to develop. (please don't read too much into this, just something us soon to be 4 month olds go through) Loteaus

BASIC-20130104
WOLFPACKS-20130201

Posted Image

#44 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

Chin up, Loteaus :) Remember, the important thing is to just keep improving! What matters is that we continue to learn, grow, and get better. None of us are uber elite, and we sure don't expect that of you or anyone else! All that matters isn't that you stop sucking, but that you suck less... and oh boy, that didn't come out right did it...

What you do for yourself dies with you, what you do for others is immortal.

BASIC | WOLFPACKS | ADVANCED | HSSR | EYES OF THE KILLER | STEALTH BOMBRS | FLYBYS | SKIRMISHING | INTERMEDIATE

The only chance you get is the one you take.

Redemption Road - Free Public Roams and Other Events!

Public Chat: Redemption Road - Mailing List: Redemption Roams

Roc’s Rule #286:  A real friend never lets you do anything stupid … alone.

m3gAb3q.png

#45 Othran

Othran

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

You're still learning. Hell I'm still learning after a decade :D Regardless of that you will have times when things repeatedly don't work out, often with no identifiable reason why. Other times you'll be on a roll where everything works out perfectly. On one occasion I went 11 months in null without losing a single pod on any alt; when that came to an end I lost 6 pods in 2 days. tl;dr you're doing OK from your kb stats, I don't see anything which should concern you :)
Today's word is :

#46 Rynnik

Rynnik

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

tl;dr you're doing OK from your kb stats, I don't see anything which should concern you :)/>

Just never forget, Loteaus, that looking at kb stats is nothing that should ever influence your pvp. Never fall into that trap! ;)

Sounds like are doing great though and I look forward to flying with you someday when I come crawling back to Agony. Keep up the great work and the awesome posts.
xXx~E>BeeberFan69<3~xXx

#47 Othran

Othran

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Just never forget, Loteaus, that looking at kb stats is nothing that should ever influence your pvp. Never fall into that trap! ;)

I quite agree, I never bother with mine. I just looked at his because it sounded like something dreadful had occurred :)
Today's word is :

#48 roigon

roigon

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

I disagree with Rynnik, although only in literal wording and not intent. Analyzing your losses and letting them influence how you pvp is perfectly fine. While not religiously I tend to make sure to comment on my losses when there was something I could learn from it, especially when trying out a new fit or new ship, and from time to time I will go over my losses to see if I'm fixing those mistakes. Now I am however totally onboard with never letting your losses deter yourself from going out there and losing some more.

#49 Othran

Othran

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Its a good point, when I was learning to fly solo I was fairly obsessive in working out why I'd lost fights and fits were a large part of that. Now I don't bother looking unless something odd happened in the fight. Probably a natural progression in Eve from "OMG!" to "meh whatever" :D Edit - I'd like to get on a Rorqual kill and a BOPs kill as they're the only ship classes I haven't killed on any character (Rorqual has self-destructed twice, years ago), never caught a BOPs.
Today's word is :

#50 Quest

Quest

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

Feeling a little down lately. The Agony guys have been great, but doesn't stop me feeling like I suck big time.

Mate you’re being way too hard on yourself. We have all been there and every now and then I still feel that I sucked big time.

And that is ok, because that is just EvE. That is why we all play it because it is not easy. The only way to suck less is to undock and try to do something different the next time, it is simply an infinite number of attempts to “STOP SUCKING”!

The truth of it is, that ALL of us never entirely stop to suck, we just suck less with time.

Did some silly things lately. One situation, involving engaging ships around a gate, that recon's feedback, should have told me to avoid the fight. Will be listening more in the future. just difficult to know when to pull back or go all in. Need to find some middle ground.

I can say that definitely taking your level of experience in game and time in Agony that you are ahead of where you would be expected to be. You are doing well, you are flying well and yes there are heaps of areas where you can improve, but comparing it to when you started you have improved immensely.

Sure sometimes you do well and sometimes you suck but as long as you learn from every experience with time you will get better.

Take that Rupture fight for example (during the last Echo weekly roam), you did well 90% of things. Got him engaged, held him in scram/webbed range, didn’t let him get away, flew well etc. sure you ‘sucked’ in reporting aggression but that is ok, you did the hard things well, the 10% remaining will come with time. Also your recon over the roam improved so quickly that by the end you sounded like any other Agony (in spite of Sofai’s teasing you...which was quite funny...4 Caracals, Scythe and Vexor on scan hehe)

The guys here are very experienced, which makes me feel...... lacking.... under the pump to perform, and do well, so as not to be seen to suck too long... This is how I personally feel and not anything the guys here are doing to me.

Even after 3 years in Agony it is sometimes difficult to see people who are just so much better at aspects of the game and not feel bad. I know I sure do, but you know what I reckon I would absolutely own the Quest from 3 years ago, man did that dude suck big time. The old Quest would really be impressed with this Quest, even though I can tell you this one still sucks a lot :) !

What I’m trying to say, do stuff that you like doing. We cannot all be experts at all things and there will always be people better than you. That is cool as they are someone to learn from. With time you will find your niche and because you will like doing that (FC-ing, EFT-warrior-ing, flying ECM, organising PVP-U or whatever else) you will get good at it and people will respect your game style.

Don’t feel under a pump as you are doing well, trust me I have seen many trials. Just do what you have been doing and you will be fine. Will you suck, sure as hell you will! But I know that I am not the only one when I say that I also enjoy flying with you and that it doesn’t matter as long as you undock and keep going at it.

So enough of the sulking, undock that Vexor and stop sucking :) !