Photo

Agony gets some recognition on the eve facebook feed.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Dior Saursi

Dior Saursi

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

Posted Image

#2 DaDutchDude

DaDutchDude

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

Nice one :)
"As always, speak softly and carry a big stick."

BASIC - 1403091800 | WOLFPACKS - 2103091800 | ADVANCED - 0404091800

#3 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

Well, that gained about 200-ish new views on the dscan video and about 100 new views on the spiraling video.... and a ton of new comments about my voice (35:1 negative, of course!) Just when I was getting the courage up to do another video... Still, gotta admit that it is cool to see Agony's name on Eve's Facebook page.

What you do for yourself dies with you, what you do for others is immortal.

BASIC | WOLFPACKS | ADVANCED | HSSR | EYES OF THE KILLER | STEALTH BOMBRS | FLYBYS | SKIRMISHING | INTERMEDIATE

The only chance you get is the one you take.

Redemption Road - Free Public Roams and Other Events!

Public Chat: Redemption Road - Mailing List: Redemption Roams

Roc’s Rule #286:  A real friend never lets you do anything stupid … alone.

m3gAb3q.png

#4 Maudite 9

Maudite 9

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

Now I've done two things on Facebook today (commented on the vid). That's got to be a sign of the apocolypse for me. Don't worry about idiots commenting about it, GG.
"Across the fields the wagon swept; its cargo bounced and rolled and lept; the Gnome atop, his brow a-sweat, prayed to Heaven his mead had kept."

#5 Aluchem

Aluchem

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

Who is teddk4 and why is he making us look bad?

http://www.youtube.c...AKUwvbiW271InWw

A whole string of comments in that vein, I really hope it isn't an Agony member. I'd make a suggestion that we disable comments on all our instructional videos, if someone has something to add they can always message the uploader directly, and it avoids the scum and smacktarding that normally accumulates around any Eve video.
Posted Image

Back 5 minutes, already causing trouble
- Dybbuch

#6 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

No clue who he is, I've downvoted and marked as spam each of his comments.

I do my best not to let the comments get to me, Maudite, but they do get under my skin some. I know, gotta harden up ;)

Edit: Facebook TWICE in a day, Maudite? Watch out, next you'll be playing Farmville *perish the thought!* teasing!

BASIC | WOLFPACKS | ADVANCED | HSSR | EYES OF THE KILLER | STEALTH BOMBRS | FLYBYS | SKIRMISHING | INTERMEDIATE

m3gAb3q.png

#7 Azual

Azual

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

Well, that gained about 200-ish new views on the dscan video and about 100 new views on the spiraling video.... and a ton of new comments about my voice (35:1 negative, of course!)

Just when I was getting the courage up to do another video...

Still, gotta admit that it is cool to see Agony's name on Eve's Facebook page.

I got the same with the first version of my video. In the second draft I literally recorded some sentences about ten times until I got them right. If you listen carefully to the spiralling video you can spot where re-recorded sentences have been inserted (apparently I'm particularly bad at pronouncing 'fwigate')! :P
Ex-Director of PVP-Uni, Eve Blogger and author of The Altruist
Posted Image

#8 roigon

roigon

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'm not a huge fan of disabling comments, because generating discussion is better then generating content. However, nobody reads youtube comments anyway, might as well just link to a topic on the AU forums for discussion of the video.

#9 Dior Saursi

Dior Saursi

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

Don't worry about the comments. Youtube comments have always had pointless bickering and people acting big and tough. I am curious as to what we did to teddk4 to make him want to say that kind of stuff.

#10 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

I got the same with the first version of my video. In the second draft I literally recorded some sentences about ten times until I got them right. If you listen carefully to the spiralling video you can spot where re-recorded sentences have been inserted (apparently I'm particularly bad at pronouncing 'fwigate')! :P

I lost count of how many times i re-recorded that narration :) And like you, I have multiple places where I spliced in a re-recorded sentence!

Anyways... I am continuing working on new videos and will, fingers crossed, have one ready to go later this week. One of our Alumni approached me during the last Basic class about captioning for the deaf community, and possible accommodations for deaf students in our classes, which I find an absolutely brilliant challenge and idea! While I'm still bouncing around ideas about hearing accommodations in our classes, captioning our videos is an excellent idea.

So all my future videos will have captioning - for not only those who have hearing differences, but also for those who find my narration (or whoever I shanghai into narrating for me!) annoying. Plus makes the videos a bit safer for work, eh?

m3gAb3q.png

#11 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

If nobody has any objections, I can actually delete all those stupid teddk4 comments.

m3gAb3q.png

#12 Silas

Silas

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

A whole string of comments in that vein, I really hope it isn't an Agony member. I'd make a suggestion that we disable comments on all our instructional videos, if someone has something to add they can always message the uploader directly, and it avoids the scum and smacktarding that normally accumulates around any Eve video.

I'm not a huge fan of disabling comments, because generating discussion is better then generating content. However, nobody reads youtube comments anyway, might as well just link to a topic on the AU forums for discussion of the video.

I agree with Roigon. Any person that does not realize that Youtube comments are 99% worthless has obviously not spent much time on Youtube. But disabling it should really be a last resort imo

If nobody has any objections, I can actually delete all those stupid teddk4 comments.

Fine by me.

Posted Image

In wildness is the preservation of the world,

so seek the wolf in thyself

#13 roigon

roigon

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

just FYI, this is public chat. Just a reminder. Anyway, doing CC on youtube is fairly easy. This page shows the formats you can upload. http://support.googl...1&page=guide.cs

#14 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

Youtube automatically generates closed captions - although they aren't exactly accurate :) Since the video is getting attention, I'm cleaning up the generated closed-captions right now (won't take long) - and think I'll add a comment along the lines of, "If you don't like her voice, turn on captions!" :)

m3gAb3q.png

#15 Tea

Tea

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

I lost count of the number of retakes I did on the celebrity death match video. Due to me having to do the filming etc it wasn't possible to record the commentary "live" and doing so after the event (and considering how one sided it was) it was difficult to inject excitement. In the end we added more flash based overlays to fill in the gaps rather than try vocal filler. I think I got away lightly with the comments ;) I would try not to get concerned by youtube comments as the vast majority are not worth the time it takes to read them. Sadly ranking etc is partly based on comments which means the bigger channels have to leave comments enabled when they would dearly love to turn them off. In our case we could direct people to a discussion thread here, but that might backfire ;)

#16 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

I'm not going to disable comments, because even the unnecessarily hurtful ones have some truth in them - my narration in this video is sub-optimal, for a variety of reasons. Instead, I'm going to focus on editing the auto-generated captions so they are typo-less and accurate :) That way I can snarkily respond to the negative nannies "Don't like it, turn on the captions. What? You can't read?" :) Seriously, I wouldn't respond like that ... tempting as it may be!

m3gAb3q.png

#17 Dybbuch

Dybbuch

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

Who is teddk4 and why is he making us look bad?

http://www.youtube.c...AKUwvbiW271InWw

youtube says hes american and 34 years of age .. a simple crossmatch with the forums should provide the answer

#18 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

It doesn't matter who he is, at least to me. But I have deleted his spammed comments. Fear the power of Admin!!

m3gAb3q.png

#19 John McGuirk

John McGuirk

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

Hey all my comments got deleted on the d-scan video :( edit: just kidding, i'm WAY too old (by 3 months) for that to be me. Don't pay attention to the haters, just do your thing.

#20 Greygal

Greygal

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hey all my comments got deleted on the d-scan video :(

That's what you get for going AFG!!

m3gAb3q.png

#21 Silas

Silas

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

lol

Posted Image

In wildness is the preservation of the world,

so seek the wolf in thyself

#22 Karasuma Akane

Karasuma Akane

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

I liked the narration. It makes Greygal seem like some kind of supervillainess.
Phillip Carver 2 months ago

Get supervillainess added to your in-game roles, GG. :P
Agony Unleashed: Combat, Combat Training, More Combat, Other (did we mention combat?)

Posted Image
Best Pony, Element of Magic, Princess of Science

#23 Old Toterra

Old Toterra

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

Lord, reading those comments makes me embarrassed to be an EVE player. Anytime a female talks EVE players (living in their parent's basement, never actually had a girlfriend) seem to get stupid.
See you in fleet,

Toterra

PVP BASIC - 1906092100

Posted Image

#24 vissuddha

vissuddha

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

Greygal you will never please everyone, your voice is fine. If they want to have words spoken sultry in their ear then I suggest they call the 1-800 #'s ^_^

Lord, reading those comments makes me embarrassed to be an EVE player. Anytime a female talks EVE players (living in their parent's basement, never actually had a girlfriend) seem to get stupid.

Haha

#25 AkJon Ferguson

AkJon Ferguson

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

You beat me to it (though I'd have a harder time convincing people I was just kidding.)
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/9285-closed-pvp-basic-20-21-feb-1800/]BASIC-20100220[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/11350-open-pvp-avanced-hssr-2300-15th-advanced-2100-for-16th-17th-july/]ADVANCED HSSR -1807102100[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/11588-closed-pvp-wolfpacks-class-august-2829-1800/]WOLFPACKS-201008281800[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/12728-fullpvp-covops-nov-28-1800-venue-changeread/]COVOPS - 281101800[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/13477-closed-pvp-skirmish-prototype-class-29th-30th-january-1300/]SKIRMISH-20110129[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/13315-closed-pvp-flybys-february-12th-1800/]FLYBYS-20110212[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/16195-closed-stealth-bombers-20111119-2000/]Stealth Bombers 20111119[/link]
Posted Image