Photo

[HELP] Tell CSM to remove Self-Destruct while in combat

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#26 AkJon Ferguson

AkJon Ferguson

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'm with Rynnik. Scuttling vessels is a time-honored military tradition. (And FWIW, I've never successfully self-destructed in combat (unless a RvB roam counts as self-destructing.))
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/9285-closed-pvp-basic-20-21-feb-1800/]BASIC-20100220[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/11350-open-pvp-avanced-hssr-2300-15th-advanced-2100-for-16th-17th-july/]ADVANCED HSSR -1807102100[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/11588-closed-pvp-wolfpacks-class-august-2829-1800/]WOLFPACKS-201008281800[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/12728-fullpvp-covops-nov-28-1800-venue-changeread/]COVOPS - 281101800[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/13477-closed-pvp-skirmish-prototype-class-29th-30th-january-1300/]SKIRMISH-20110129[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/13315-closed-pvp-flybys-february-12th-1800/]FLYBYS-20110212[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/16195-closed-stealth-bombers-20111119-2000/]Stealth Bombers 20111119[/link]
Posted Image

#27 Jysella

Jysella

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

But when a ship is forced to be scuttled the opposing fleet still claims victory.
BASIC-20120108 WOLFPACKS-20120420 COVOPS-20130420
"Pretty. What do we blow up first?"

Yes, this is my freighter. No, I won't help you move.

#28 Goodvibes

Goodvibes

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:37 AM

I just want an excuse to use this emote more

Posted Image

pEGjqYG.jpg

#29 Othran

Othran

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

But when a ship is forced to be scuttled the opposing fleet still claims victory.

The argument is basically about proving you were the victors - ie killmails.

My personal viewpoint on this is that killmails shouldn't exist - really if you try not to look at your own record for a month or two then you will have more fun and be a better pilot. However we are where we are and its impractical to remove KMs.

So if any ship (NPC or player) causes damage on a ship which self-destructs on the same grid/in the same system then generate a KM.

Easy-peasy.
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#30 Rynnik

Rynnik

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

My personal viewpoint on this is that killmails shouldn't exist - really if you try not to look at your own record for a month or two then you will have more fun and be a better pilot. However we are where we are and its impractical to remove KMs.

So if any ship (NPC or player) causes damage on a ship which self-destructs on the same grid/in the same system then generate a KM.

Easy-peasy.

Exactly this, in my opinion.
xXx~E>BeeberFan69<3~xXx

#31 Vjorn

Vjorn

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:53 AM

Over the weekend, I was in a class 3 that connected to my class 3 system, watching a cap run sites on it's own. I was only one on in corp, but can dual box. Didn't attack tho, coz what was the point??? I support SD'ing resulting in KM's when in combat. I really liked Agent302's idea

#32 Alistone Malikite

Alistone Malikite

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

Today we caught a carrier anchoring a TCU... we brought more deeps and a local gang that was roaming through the area to help kill it. So the chimera self destructed. All we got was this podmail...

http://www.agony-unl...l_detail/76329/
Games are fun because of who you play them with.
If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#33 starborn

starborn

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:31 AM

If you get a chance to shoot at the carriers in wormhole space, I strongly recommend it. Wormhole space is often filled with big ships that people don't know how to fly- many won't even think of the self-destruct button.

#34 Ba'al Hadad

Ba'al Hadad

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

I think it is fine like it is. It encourages people to bring greater dps to take out capitals. I think the chance of loot drop, however, should be drastically reduced, but not removed entirely. In science fiction the destruct mechanism is usually done by programatically modifying the engines someway to cause them to explode, not by placing explosives throughout the ship (like in consoles on the bridge). That would be dumb. This leaves the external areas of the ship protected by much of the hull which couldn't possibly be entirely incinerated, thus leaving some modules intact to varying degrees. Okay that's pretty geeky. I'm done now. P.S. I think they do put explosives in consoles on startrek to make direct hits more dramatic :P You know the console operators are thinking, "Damn those pyromaniac console designers!"
Killboards: AGONY / EVSCO
BASIC-20111105 (IRC)
WOLFPACKS-20120210
DSCAN-20120303

#35 Itkovian Beddict

Itkovian Beddict

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

Why would you want to discourage small corps from taking on carriers (pointless due to self destruct as it currently stands)?

#36 glepp

glepp

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

Why would you want to discourage small corps from taking on carriers (pointless due to self destruct as it currently stands)?

It's not pointless. It just doesn't generate a killmail.

The point of killing something is to inflict pain on the owner.

[20:58:13] CCP Unifex > loving the Tweed thing

#37 Silas

Silas

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

Sure, but the killmail is still nice.

Posted Image

In wildness is the preservation of the world,

so seek the wolf in thyself

#38 glepp

glepp

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

Sure, but the killmail is still nice.

Icing on the cake.

I like icing, but I'll still eat the cake.

[20:58:13] CCP Unifex > loving the Tweed thing

#39 Silas

Silas

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

I just eat the icing... the cake is a lie (Can't believe I went there)

Posted Image

#40 Ba'al Hadad

Ba'al Hadad

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

I was responding to the original concern, to remove self-destruct while in combat. I think it should remain like it is. This doesn't disuade small corps from killing carriers. If they ship blows up either way, they still did their job and there is a chance the carrier won't self destruct. A killmail, however, would still be nice.
BASIC-20111105 (IRC)
WOLFPACKS-20120210
DSCAN-20120303

#41 Silas

Silas

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

I was responding to the original concern, to remove self-destruct while in combat. I think it should remain like it is. This doesn't disuade small corps from killing carriers. If they ship blows up either way, they still did their job and there is a chance the carrier won't self destruct. A killmail, however, would still be nice.

The fact is is does dissuade small corps from taking on caps

Posted Image

#42 Vjorn

Vjorn

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:52 AM

I just eat the icing... the cake is a lie

(Can't believe I went there)

heeheehee

I want the cake....

the icing.......

and the little cherries on top! :lol:

#43 Ba'al Hadad

Ba'al Hadad

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

As I come from cobalt edge, I would consider agony a small corp, at least during my play time it is. We went roaming about and found a carrier. Instead of self distructing, the guy logged off. We were in a hornet fleet of 9 plus two kitsunes. we were there quite a while. We had the help of angel cartel. A bomber and hurricane arrived much later to get roughly 5% each of the total damage. Granted we're by no means an orthodox smallish corp, thus not very representative of small corp behavior, but we still got the kill. http://www.agony-unl...l_detail/76013/

I was in Quantum Cats Syndicate, a small pvp corp in faction warfare. We routinely went after capitals. Maybe non-pvp corps are disuaded, but small pvp corps will go after anything they can get their guns on at the cost of their ships. So I guess we can agree to disagree.
BASIC-20111105 (IRC)
WOLFPACKS-20120210
DSCAN-20120303

#44 Jysella

Jysella

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

But had the pilots of those two thannies gone for SD rather than logging we wouldn't have made the timers, not by a long shot. So instead of getting credit for the kills we end up with loot from one and an expensive lost hauler from the other. Having a SD mechanic is fine and even necessary, but allowing it to be used to avoid the embarassment of getting blown up by a vastly less-expensive force just strikes me as not fitting with the premise that actions have consequences, which is at the heart of everything in eve. Heck, the change to logoff mechanics that made it possible to bring those carriers down supports the idea that there isn't a desire to have a cheap way out.
BASIC-20120108 WOLFPACKS-20120420 COVOPS-20130420
"Pretty. What do we blow up first?"

Yes, this is my freighter. No, I won't help you move.

#45 Rynnik

Rynnik

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:38 PM

It isn't a 'way out' if it still blows up. :rolleyes:
xXx~E>BeeberFan69<3~xXx

#46 Granger

Granger

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

It's a way out of not having an expensive loss against your name which some people are bothered about, and a way out of giving the agressor the killmail that he is probably bothered about. Back to the original topic - I have now changed my reply in the EVE-O thread to indicate that self-destructing should still be an option, but that it should generate a KM to the highest non-NPC damage dealer.
"...the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy." - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

"Except that, as is usually said of spoons, THERE IS NO SHIELD." - Lord Maldoror
"Bob Shaftoes is drenched in Hyperions" - Kil2 CCP Rise, EVE AT XI
"Cambions are like Drakes that go really fast" - MB III CCP Dolan, EVE AT XI

BASIC-042620081900
WOLFPACKS-053120081600
FLYBYS-2206081600

Posted Image

My YouTube Channel

#47 Alistone Malikite

Alistone Malikite

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

But had the pilots of those two thannies gone for SD rather than logging we wouldn't have made the timers, not by a long shot. So instead of getting credit for the kills we end up ... an expensive lost hauler from the other. ...

For the first I'd just like to point out my kitsune to dealt 11,000 damage... do you realize how long it takes a kitsune to deal that sort of damage. If he had logged with the old 15m timer he probably would have lived.

And for the second; after he tried logging off (but it didn't work for him) we actually ended up with 2 expensive lost haulers, but only because the WH timed out and we were stuck 40 systems deep in null with an itty V... I'm still a little bummed that I lost my Caldak's "trophy loot".

But it actually was pretty common for carrier pilots to log off in hopes of surviving. This nidhogger tried it too (back when you would disappear after 15mins).

But now that logging off won't save them (rather it ensures their demise) I expect that self destructing will become ever more common.

If it isn't changed then small corps will likely be forced to work with other nearby corps to bring down larger targets like *these carriers* we killed with BDEAL.

I really don't care about having the loot (I'm pretty happy if I get a corpse though). But I want the record that yes he was caught and yes he was killed. A lot of corps are judged by their killboard record and it benefits the attackers reputation to have a record of big kills.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#48 Kerzack

Kerzack

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:15 AM

My train of thought doesn't "jump the rails". It flies in space and it's got an oversized MWD that causes it to fly off on tangents at incredible speed and makes it a PITA to steer. I like cheese.

- fucking win!
Men of war have long known that warriors must often abandon those verities they defend. Peace, human kindness, love... for they hold no meaning to the enemy. And so, to win, do we become what we despise... and despise what we become?

#49 Kerzack

Kerzack

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

oh... and on topic... Stop sucking! get some friends with DPS (aka DeePs!@) (U know I love you but come on, catch and release is cool and all but speedie's carrier isn't going down until we get the deeps! ...i'll be moar polite next time!) how you doing ?
Men of war have long known that warriors must often abandon those verities they defend. Peace, human kindness, love... for they hold no meaning to the enemy. And so, to win, do we become what we despise... and despise what we become?

#50 Alistone Malikite

Alistone Malikite

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:20 AM

... then again; if self destructing ships created some sort of "smartbomb splash damage" effect that would be pretty cool...no need to change the "mechanics"; just create a darned killmail for the top non-NPC damage dealer.
Posted ImagePosted Image