Photo

Tier 3 Battlecruisers Incoming

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 glepp

glepp

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

Fixed title on OP to avoid further confusion.

[20:58:13] CCP Unifex > loving the Tweed thing

#27 AkJon Ferguson

AkJon Ferguson

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:59 PM

I can see you argument, but i must say i think they found a niche where there was room for a ship more.

Also i cant wait for the tears when people realize this is the perfect suicide gank ships.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. Though back when battleship hulls were 'free' (after insurance) you still didn't see an insane amount of suicide ganking afaik. And while I have nothing against suicide ganking (or tears) per se, it shouldn't be 'free' and I don't see facilitating it as a way to encourage new subscriptions.

Tier 2 battlecruisers (particularly the drake and hurricane) are already too good and so CCP's solution is to introduce tier 3 battlecruisers?

A couple of good quotes from this thread:

"1. Battlecruisers. Tier 2 battlecruisers are too popular because they're too good at too many things. Their abundant slots and fittings give them mobility competitive with T1 cruisers, while their abundant medium weapons give them vastly superior but still relatively-easy-to-apply firepower. They step on the toes of both battleships and cruisers too much, while obsoleting tier 1 BCs."

"I detest that the following statement is true in this game:

'Why fly a,b,c when x,y,z exists?'

That applies to so many ships right now. So many that are simply inferior to other ships so they see no use at all. Granted you could name any ship and there will be some die hard out there who had some mild success with it once out of a hundred times and swears by it but lets be realistic here."

As I said, a solution in search of a problem. YMMV.
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/9285-closed-pvp-basic-20-21-feb-1800/]BASIC-20100220[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/11350-open-pvp-avanced-hssr-2300-15th-advanced-2100-for-16th-17th-july/]ADVANCED HSSR -1807102100[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/11588-closed-pvp-wolfpacks-class-august-2829-1800/]WOLFPACKS-201008281800[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/12728-fullpvp-covops-nov-28-1800-venue-changeread/]COVOPS - 281101800[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/13477-closed-pvp-skirmish-prototype-class-29th-30th-january-1300/]SKIRMISH-20110129[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/13315-closed-pvp-flybys-february-12th-1800/]FLYBYS-20110212[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/16195-closed-stealth-bombers-20111119-2000/]Stealth Bombers 20111119[/link]
Posted Image

#28 Azual

Azual

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:30 PM

Sometimes adding something new is nice just to change the playing field a little for the established doctrines. Complete balance will never ever happen, and current imbalances are no reason not to also introduce something new every now and then.
Ex-Director of PVP-Uni, Eve Blogger and author of The Altruist
Posted Image

#29 Othran

Othran

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

Gods I will have to train large guns now and thats only one step away from BSs which I have avoided for nearly three years :(

Battleships can be fun, you know...

http://www.agony-unl...ed&kll_id=68887

Not solo they're not ;)

Dual-boxing one is a bit lame really IMHO so I tend not to bother. Something that's more mobile/less tank yeah I'd dual-box that.

Taken them long enough anyway - that art contest (Tornado)was years ago now wasn't it?
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#30 John McGuirk

John McGuirk

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

Fixed title on OP to avoid further confusion.

Thank you... I was disheartened to find I couldn't edit it myself, and didn't think to ask a moderator. My bad for posting poor terminology.

#31 Gavin

Gavin

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:30 PM

While my initial thought on these was "suicide ganking boats", now something else has popped into my mind. Battleship guns probably means near-battleship damage output, on a platform that has battlecruiser size and speed. I wonder if these will work as a counter for supercaps?
Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

BASIC 20100702 <|> WOLFPACKS 20100828 <|> ADVANCED 20110102

COVOPS 1909101800 <|> SKIRMISH - 20110129

#32 glepp

glepp

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

Gods I will have to train large guns now and thats only one step away from BSs which I have avoided for nearly three years :(

Battleships can be fun, you know...

http://www.agony-unl...ed&kll_id=68887

Not solo they're not ;)

I think Alta begs to differ...

#33 Othran

Othran

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:27 PM

I think Alta begs to differ...

Oh yeah I'm sure you can find fun, you can find it in most any ship with the right circumstances/amount of time. I can find it easier in other ships is all, don't have the time I once did to wander about looking.
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#34 Kalar Freno

Kalar Freno

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:43 PM

While my initial thought on these was "suicide ganking boats", now something else has popped into my mind. Battleship guns probably means near-battleship damage output, on a platform that has battlecruiser size and speed. I wonder if these will work as a counter for supercaps?

I think this is the niche for these ships. Goons (and others) have been running "welpfleets" of 200+ canes w/ ACs and neuts and dropping them on supercaps with some success, but these ships are perfectly designed for the welpfleet doctrine.

And they just happened to put them in when everyone is up in arms about SCs being overpowered...

#35 Kheket

Kheket
  • Pip

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:06 AM

Gallente T3 BC has been uploaded/announced/whatever http://www.eveonline...=blog&nbid=3014 :D

#36 Kaeda Maxwell

Kaeda Maxwell

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:17 AM

Mega Pulses on a BC. I can think up a few sexy gangs with scorch optimals like that. "Oh hello mister Black Bird, 70 km out? That's cool I can obliterate you from over here!" :D (same goes for logi to an extent but those can speed/sig tank a little easier) And the 10% bonus to falloff on the Tornado is similar in that sense only the Machariel has a falloff bonuses like that currently. A lot will depend on how thin the tanks on these new Tier 3 Bc's are or aren't.

BASIC-20101226 (Kohana Maxwell)
WOLFPACKS-20101228 (Kohana Maxwell)
I R HAZ BLOG; http://kaedamaxwell.blogspot.com/

Posted Image

#37 glepp

glepp

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

30k EHP or so.... I foresee a future for AB Muninn gangs.

#38 Aluchem

Aluchem

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

I wonder if anyone is thinking of putting medium weapons on these (is the bonus only to large?) and piling on the tank mods with the crazy powergrid and cpu they have. The Talos looks like a BC sized Taranis equiv, I approve :)
Posted Image

Back 5 minutes, already causing trouble
- Dybbuch

#39 glepp

glepp

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

They don't really have an overpowered grid, do they? Just a reduction to heavy weapon fitting reqs.

#40 Granger

Granger

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

They don't really have an overpowered grid, do they? Just a reduction to heavy weapon fitting reqs.

I don't think ccp have published anything, but I imagine it will be in a similar vein as torp fitting on a bomber
"...the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy." - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

"Except that, as is usually said of spoons, THERE IS NO SHIELD." - Lord Maldoror
"Bob Shaftoes is drenched in Hyperions" - Kil2 CCP Rise, EVE AT XI
"Cambions are like Drakes that go really fast" - MB III CCP Dolan, EVE AT XI

BASIC-042620081900
WOLFPACKS-053120081600
FLYBYS-2206081600

Posted Image

My YouTube Channel

#41 Gavin

Gavin

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:24 AM

Some people have datamined the build on one of the test servers; in those they all have 50% reduction in CPU requirements and 95% reduction in grid requirements of large weapons, types specific to the hull. Large projectiles on the Tornado, large hybrid turrets or torpedo launchers on the Naga (not cruise, interestingly), etc.
Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

BASIC 20100702 <|> WOLFPACKS 20100828 <|> ADVANCED 20110102

COVOPS 1909101800 <|> SKIRMISH - 20110129

#42 Kalar Freno

Kalar Freno

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:09 AM

I wonder if anyone is thinking of putting medium weapons on these (is the bonus only to large?) and piling on the tank mods with the crazy powergrid and cpu they have.

The Talos looks like a BC sized Taranis equiv, I approve :)

The latest stats from SiSi show them as having significantly less CPU and PG than Tier 2 BCs, and one fewer mid/low slots. They also have around 40% of the armour and shields. Glass cannons to the extreme!

#43 Ronat

Ronat

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:42 PM

I wanted my super fly drake!
Posted Image

#44 Varius

Varius

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:56 PM

Three years of playing and I think I got the Noctis and the Zephyr.

Now that I stopped playing they release not one, but four new kickass combat ships.

Posted Image

#45 Maudite 9

Maudite 9

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:04 PM

Now that I stopped playing they release not one, but four new kickass combat ships.

I look forward to your return, Varius! B)
"Across the fields the wagon swept; its cargo bounced and rolled and lept; the Gnome atop, his brow a-sweat, prayed to Heaven his mead had kept."

#46 Silas

Silas

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

H T F U

Posted Image

In wildness is the preservation of the world,

so seek the wolf in thyself

#47 Varius

Varius

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

H T F U

Ah, Silas, how I've missed your bubbly personality and magnetic charm. :rolleyes:

#48 Silas

Silas

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

H T F U

Ah, Silas, how I've missed your bubbly personality and magnetic charm. :rolleyes:

<3 Posted Image

Posted Image

In wildness is the preservation of the world,

so seek the wolf in thyself

#49 Corywyn

Corywyn

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:00 PM

Silas being a dick, NBS :D But still - come back Varius!

#50 Carver

Carver

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

I admire varius for being inspired to try RL pursuits. But if he is ever of a mind to come back, do it! Do eeeet!
<18:28:33> "[AGONY] Carver" was removed from server group "Super Admin" by "[AGONY] Carver".