Photo

EFT and new format API

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Othran

Othran

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:45 AM

Anyone know if Gripen is intending updating EFT so it understands the new API keys? The thread on eve-o seems to have descended into fuckwittery/trolling and every other app/etc that uses the API is nagging me to change the keys. I'd rather not evemail the poor sod, probably plenty of people already have - hell for all I know he's one of the many who quit this summer :(
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#2 kalamaner

kalamaner

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:47 AM

new api works, i had to redo mine

#3 Othran

Othran

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

It does? I'm hearing exactly the opposite from people who have changed their API (most cos Evemon kept whining at them).
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#4 kalamaner

kalamaner

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:52 AM

got evemon to work too.

#5 Othran

Othran

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

got evemon to work too.

Odd. I've just confirmed with someone that they have Evemon & eveboard working but EFT times out. I'd have thought if they got eveboard working then EFT should work too as EFT only needs CharacterInfo and CharacterSheet api, both of which would be enabled if eveboard works.

thanks for letting me know you have it working - I'm even more confused now :)
Today's word is :

#6 kalamaner

kalamaner

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

no worries

#7 Othran

Othran

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:05 AM

Mmm it appears he's not the only one it doesn't work for - linkage

Did you create an old format API key or the new CAK format?

Edit - someone in the thread says Gripen is working on it, hopefully he's right.
Today's word is :

#8 kalamaner

kalamaner

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:29 AM

just used new one

#9 Silas

Silas

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:32 AM

You're both talking EFT right? Cause some people tend to confuse EFT and EVEMon for some reason...

Posted Image

In wildness is the preservation of the world,

so seek the wolf in thyself

#10 Othran

Othran

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

You're both talking EFT right? Cause some people tend to confuse EFT and EVEMon for some reason...

I'm talking EFT.

Evemon is one of the apps/sites nagging me to update the API key to the new CAK format.

My understanding is that if I do this then the new CAK format will break EFT.
Today's word is :

#11 Granger

Granger

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:19 AM

If you had to "re-do" it - then you didn't use the new CAK API key (the top two in the picture below).

Posted Image
They don't work with EFT, as EFT looks up the "UserID" as the first component of the web query. The new CAK keys do not use the UserID at all.

My understanding is that if I do this then the new CAK format will break EFT.

You can have a new CAK key as well as the legacy one as in the screenshot above.

NB - The new CAK keys however, are the only thing that works with the latest version of EVEMon...

Which is a bit unfortunate - if you do any industry. The "old" format API key allowed EVEMon to track your invention, build, and market stuff that you had active at corporation level. However, the new CAK key is specific for personal OR corp only, and EVEMon does not support the Corp ones, so you lose the industry/market tracking function if you upgrade EVEMon and move to CAK, if you do industry at a Corp level.
"...the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy." - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

"Except that, as is usually said of spoons, THERE IS NO SHIELD." - Lord Maldoror
"Bob Shaftoes is drenched in Hyperions" - Kil2 CCP Rise, EVE AT XI
"Cambions are like Drakes that go really fast" - MB III CCP Dolan, EVE AT XI

BASIC-042620081900
WOLFPACKS-053120081600
FLYBYS-2206081600

Posted Image

My YouTube Channel

#12 kalamaner

kalamaner

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

yep i used new keys and worked :lol:

#13 Othran

Othran

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:10 PM

Thanks Granger, confirms what I suspected. I think I'll just leave the keys as they are for now. When CCP obsolete the keys I'll do something about it - or when EFT gets updated. I'll put up with Evemon nagging me :)
Today's word is :

#14 Granger

Granger

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:44 PM

Kala, I don't know if you are trolling, but honestly - I do a lot of programming with the EVE API and the way EFT is set to query the server WILL NOT work with the new CAK format keys. Even if the query was correct (which it is not), the format in which the data is returned is slightly different for some of the new returns, so to extract the correct information from the return will require recoding. Certainly I will have to re-code the couple of Apps I have developed for managing my T2 production.

For example (as described HERE), to get your current skill in training, the query:

https#://api.eveonline.com/char/SkillInTraining.xml.aspx?UserID=XXXX&apikey=XXXX&characterID=XXXX

is used. I would give you an example, but TBH I don't want to hand out one of my API keys to everyone that can read this thread, even if it is "deprecated" as CCP put it.

Under the new CAK keys, to get the same data, you need to use:

https#://api.eveonline.com/char/SkillInTraining.xml.aspx?keyID=XXXX&vCode=XXXX&characterID=XXXX

It literally cannot work.
"...the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy." - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

"Except that, as is usually said of spoons, THERE IS NO SHIELD." - Lord Maldoror

BASIC-042620081900
WOLFPACKS-053120081600
FLYBYS-2206081600

Posted Image

My YouTube Channel

#15 ROX Genghis

ROX Genghis

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

I am blissfully using the latest versions of both EveMon and EFT at the moment with no problems. I use a new custom API key for EveMon and I use an old-fashioned API key for EFT.

For the old-fashioned API key, I go through here: Old API Keys
This old website still works (for now) and I can even generate new old-fashioned keys.

For the new API keys, I go through here: New API Keys

I've been wondering why so many people are having problems. Perhaps it's because they don't have the URL for the old-fashioned keys?

#16 Varius

Varius

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

Actually I've been finding it hard to find the URL for the new ones. A google search of "EVE Online API" comes up with the old one. You actually have to go to the support site for the new one, unless I've missed something. I wonder how long the old ones will last for. I still use Capsuleer on iPhone regularly, and as far as I can tell the new APIs don't cut it for that. iClone sucks donkey balls.

#17 kalamaner

kalamaner

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

i updated evemon with new keys and works fine, eft still works fine too, so i dont see what all the fuss is about. I have even removed all old keys.

#18 ToranBrades

ToranBrades

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

i updated evemon with new keys and works fine, eft still works fine too, so i dont see what all the fuss is about. I have even removed all old keys.

You sure you did not just generate "new" legacy keys? Atm, you can still generate the "old" keys anew, but that doesn't make them the "new" API keys ppl are talking about..?

Edit: In fact, to give the link, Granger was talking about the keys you can generate here. And not the ones that are shown under "Legacy" there... Edit 3: Dange, URLs being posted already further up. Go, go, Toran, to the kitchen, come back when you get to read properly.

Edit2: And while I don't advertise EveHQ too much as it seems to suffer a bit from sloppy programming (he fixes every bug you hand him in 1-2 days, but then, there's a reason he's busy all the time), it is updated to the new keys since their launch and uses them properly (from what it seems).

#19 kalamaner

kalamaner

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:28 PM

no not old key NEW keys, i removed all old ones :mellow:

#20 Granger

Granger

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

I am blissfully using the latest versions of both EveMon and EFT at the moment with no problems. I use a new custom API key for EveMon and I use an old-fashioned API key for EFT.

Yeah I must admit I don't know what all the fuss has been - other than the knock on effect of not being able to see corp industry jobs or market orders in EVEMon with the new CAK API, if you simply do not delete the old keys, things like EFT will continue to work until CCP retire them - by which time Gripen will hopefully have updated EFT.

BASIC-042620081900
WOLFPACKS-053120081600
FLYBYS-2206081600

Posted Image

My YouTube Channel

#21 Othran

Othran

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:31 PM

Then I'm at a complete loss to see how EFT works for you. Cool if it does but I don't see how.
Today's word is :

#22 Granger

Granger

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:13 PM

Then I'm at a complete loss to see how EFT works for you. Cool if it does but I don't see how.

Same reason that when he goes to his greengrocer and asks for four apples, the guy sells him two oranges and it's golden :P

BASIC-042620081900
WOLFPACKS-053120081600
FLYBYS-2206081600

Posted Image

My YouTube Channel

#23 Othran

Othran

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

Just to complete the thread, Gripen has now released an update for EFT which works with CAK.

EFT v2.13.5 - Incarna 1.0
Today's word is :