Photo

PVP Basics 2/3 Sept - FeedBack

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#1 Caldak

Caldak

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:37 AM

So this is were we get to hear from you.

1 - Got to get that video out on how to get your ship data into the Fleet Manager.
too much time wasted there, but then for the roam we will be going much sooner and the re-run of class material will be good.
The Video link.
Fleet Window

2 - Material covered, bubble mechanics was straight forward? was it worth the extra 10 min.

3 - Some stuck around, questions? Wasn't many so will see what the response is tomorrow.

4 - Upcoming roam, lets hope its action packed.

Anne Bonney, a notorious pirate in her own right, told her husband, Calico Jack Bonney, as he was captured by pirate hunters,
“if you'd have fought like a man you needn't hang like a dog”.

Done some class's

#2 Bilbo Rending

Bilbo Rending
  • Pip

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:54 AM

1 - Got to get that video out on how to get your ship data into the Fleet Manager.
too much time wasted there, but then for the roam we will be going much sooner and the re-run of class material will be good.
The Video link.
Fleet Window

2 - Material covered, bubble mechanics was straight forward? was it worth the extra 10 min.

3 - Some stuck around, questions? Wasn't many so will see what the response is tomorrow.

Yea, fleet manager was unfortunate, it was a bit frustrating for me (and i didnt have the most problems with it), you managed to stay calm and constructive though (well done), perhaps you could have called an assistant in earlier to give 1 on 1 in a different room and given those that understood it a break.

I thought the bubble mechanics was worth it, something everyone who goes to 0.0 needs to know.

I was too tired to hang around afterwards even if i did have questions, not used to 6 hour stints.

Pity we didnt get engaged at the bubble, that would have woken everyone up.

I went into the class not really knowing what to expect, its one of those things that "you dont know what you dont know". I didnt expect to get much out of the ship fitting part, but i release i need to read up on ships i dont fly, and be more aware of the different ewar modules.

Definitely worth 20 mil. I wouldn't describe it as fun, hopefully that comes later.

#3 Fusada

Fusada
  • Pip

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:41 AM

The class was excellent in my opinion and it did exceed my expectations. I did feel like in real classroom. Although I had read before tons of guides there were still things which I didn't know or which I was not able to recall the moment you asked. And I believe it will change only when I will start to practice in PVP more often than i do now. Additional information on bubble mechanics was nice but I was not able to stay after that since it was already 5 a.m. here and I was almost sleeping. Overall the class was excellent and I will recommend it to any new player we have in our corp. Looking forward to roam and Wolfpacks class. ty for your time.
BASIC-20110902
WOLFPACKS-20110917

Is there an answer that would satisfy you?
Not really.
Then why ask?

#4 Aurian

Aurian
  • Pip

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:20 PM

Excellent class Caldak, thanks. Do we get a heads up on fitting tonight before the roam or is it up to us to fit as we wish? Aurian.

#5 Othran

Othran

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

Nice video Temprial, good shipname too, I thoroughly agree ;) Should hopefully save all the hassle next time.
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#6 Loki Akami

Loki Akami
  • Pip

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

The class was excellent Caldak, thank you for doing an excellent job. There was alot of new information that I hadn't known before, so I did learn alot of new stuff. Such as the bubble mechinics, don't have to worry about those in empire. Can't wait to put some of it into pratice during the roam. While the incident with the fleet manager was unfortunate, I had a little bit of an issue until I figured it out, I do commend you on keeping calm, composed, and contructive. I'm not sure if I could have done the same. I'm certainly looking forward to the roam, and can't wait until the wolfpacks class as well.

#7 Recce-Master

Recce-Master
  • Pip

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

Echo previous posts. I had no real expectation entering the course as the course documentation is only available after sign up and only had 2 days at a stretch to read through a lot of material. Would be good to have more prp time so the information is being reinforced in the class not presented as new concepts so much. What was covered was good. Really learnt about fitting ect. Not a critasisum really but I felt that assistance could be given 1 to 1 when you get to step by step instructions for the third time (point made above already)... but I did hide behind the sofa with some pop corn just waiting for you to go pop but you remaind calm (well done). I guess that the management tool login hickup pushed the time line and sliped to my cutt off time of 2:30am GMT which was the 4.5hr point when I needed to go as I had work a few hours latter (5am GMT). So a bit gutted really as I was really enjoying it. All in all. I'd reccomend anyone to go on the class, but feel more time to prep and absorb the info would allow better questions to be formed as to what issues people have regarding concepts and operations ect... but that's just my learning style and may not fit everyone else. Looking fwd to the roam and the next installment of classes to progress to grow.

#8 Othran

Othran

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

Excellent class Caldak, thanks.

Do we get a heads up on fitting tonight before the roam or is it up to us to fit as we wish?

Aurian.

The FC will use the Fleet Fitting Tool to balance the EWAR up - webs, damps, tracks, points, scrams and ecm. Apart from that use the guidelines in the course material - nobody is going to insist you fit a certain type of gun/launcher though.

If there's alumni around before roam then have a chat with them - most of them know what works well in the main fleet. If there's Agony people in the channel then pick their brains.

Eg - when I did Basic one of the Agony guys strongly recommended I fit artillery to the Rifter as things go pop very very fast. He was right, although its not something I'd do in "normal" PvP. Arty on a Rifter makes me feel unclean :P
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#9 Whisp3r

Whisp3r
  • Pip

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

Good to see that a video on the fleet tool is up, hopefully you can add the link to the wiki, so people can do this part faster. Had a bit of trouble with that part myself. Hopefully the access to the wiki can be give a earlier for future students. I have quite a few questions regarding the class, but since it was almost 5AM where i live, i was just too tired and went to bed. Excellent class Caldak, thanks.

#10 Dushyant

Dushyant
  • Pip

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

Communication

I found instructions to be unclear at times. It normally occurred during times of cross chatter. For example, we docked at a lowsec station to take a break and then the FC and some others began to talk about renaming ships based on a sheep theme. At some point the FC did say undock, but in the context of the conversation it was not clear it applied to the entire fleet, an Agony/alumnus scout or was part of the idle chatter. Would it be possible to get a preface to orders designating who it is directed to? For example: "Fleet! Undock and align to gate x" or "Recon! Check out location x."

Topics I rather enjoyed and/or learned quite a bit from
:

Safe points - prior to the lecture portion of this class, I only knew it as random bookmarks in a system. Explanation of this seemed rushed at first so it took a little longer than usual to catch on. However, this probably had to do with the delays in getting started.

On-grid/off-grid - This was another case of terms I heard before, but never found a clear explanation about it. I am still a little fuzzy on the on-grid vs. off-grid though. In the class exercise, we were suppose to fly away from another pilot who was around 300km out until the distance dropped off, but I did not achieve that. What is the drop off point for this? Is there a resource available for me to read more on the topic?

Angular velocity - All the discussion I had read on forums before discussed traversal. A good amount of time was dedicated to this topic and very thoroughly explained. I am looking forward to

Ship signature and how it is applied within EVE - I had a basic understanding of the mechanics behind this prior to the class, but the actual application and implication of this was not. Excellent job explaining this.

Topics I am still fuzzy with:

On-grid/off-grid - This was another case of terms I heard before, but never found a clear explanation about it. I am still a little fuzzy on the on-grid vs. off-grid though. In the class exercise, we were suppose to fly away from another pilot who was around 300km out until the distance dropped off, but I did not achieve that. What is the drop off point for this? Where is a good resource for more information?

D-Scan - There was some discussion on using d-scan to help estimate another player's location. I understand and need to spend a little time playing with that. I was less certain on what "watching d-scan" meant. Does this mean setting it to 360 degrees, use overview settings for non-friendly ships and randomly rescan? Also, there was an Agony pilot reporting on the number of probes in the area. Was this also just a d-scan using overview settings to include probes?

Overall, I am really enjoying the class and how much I am learning quite a bit from it. I will certainly be signing up for future classes.

#11 mrmalak

mrmalak
  • Pip

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:51 PM

The Video link.
Fleet Window

1) Yeah, that’s an hour of my life I won't get back listening to put a x in fleet. I would recommend having some one else deal with the guy a lot sooner.
2) The bubble mechanics were good, though by the end of the 6th hour of a 4 hour class it was a little hard to absorb that info.
3) I asked a question and never received a proper answer, the documentation for the class stated that we should turn off damage notification to help with lag and then we were told to look at damage notifications to know what is shooting at us. Should we have damage notifications on or off?
4) Did you need to state that you didn't care if we all died after a large portion of the class just didn't understand what you had asked them to do because you were joking around at the same time?

My corp paid 100 million isk to attend the class and I just felt like there was a general lack of professionalism through out the entire ordeal. I liked the information but I thought it could have been presented in a better way.
MrMalak - Malakinov (BVMI)

ALUMNI

BASIC-20110902

#12 Azual

Azual

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:16 PM

On-grid/off-grid - This was another case of terms I heard before, but never found a clear explanation about it. I am still a little fuzzy on the on-grid vs. off-grid though. In the class exercise, we were suppose to fly away from another pilot who was around 300km out until the distance dropped off, but I did not achieve that. What is the drop off point for this? Where is a good resource for more information?

Grids are a little weird - they vary in size based on the objects on them, and can sometimes be stretched or squashed into some very odd shapes and sizes. Generally it'll be somewhere between 250 and 500km before you drop off grid.

If you want more information on it, search google for the 'grid-fu' guide by goonswarm.
Ex-Director of PVP-Uni, Eve Blogger and author of The Altruist
Posted Image

#13 Gavin

Gavin

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

If you want more information on it, search google for the 'grid-fu' guide by goonswarm.

It's interesting reading, but if I am not mistaken CCP has declared that deliberately manipulating grids is an exploit now. Still, it's a pretty nice explanation of how grids work.
Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

BASIC 20100702 <|> WOLFPACKS 20100828 <|> ADVANCED 20110102

COVOPS 1909101800 <|> SKIRMISH - 20110129

#14 Odontempme

Odontempme
  • PipPip

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:33 AM

The class was kinda boring felt like a school day on the weekend but it had some interesting stuff. it was a fun roam we but not the best of roams xD we got a few kills then couldnt find anything so since we had a TEST guy in our fleet we got him to get them set up a fleet to face us :P. we knew we didnt stand a chance from the fleet they formed which was like 25 canes, 2 drakes, some logi ships and a few others. But we tried our best and most of us died trying :P

#15 Bilbo Rending

Bilbo Rending
  • Pip

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:48 AM

One issue that came up during the roam, some fleet members where having trouble working out what squad they where in, they had fleet set to flat rather than hierarchy. Not sure if you mentioned on day one, if not then maybe there should be some material about general fleet structure, settings and organization on day one.

#16 Caldak

Caldak

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:20 AM

So we had a roam.

Took giving away what we had, go to them to get a fight.

Fight
wow almost 50 BC's for our Frigate gang. Looks like the gang they fly against peoples Battleships. Other fights

Lots of people not wanting to fight, I really feel sad for Null sec at the moment.

But we had a fight, took it to them, good for you boys on taking on there gang, learning to spread your ewar, thinking on the run. Those that ended up been camped so they could get pod kills too, well that's the rolls.

Look for the next Basic roam and come along as Alumni.
Wishing us luck so we can get more fights and fly your T2 frigates.

Anne Bonney, a notorious pirate in her own right, told her husband, Calico Jack Bonney, as he was captured by pirate hunters,

Done some class's

#17 Bubbles Udan

Bubbles Udan
  • Pip

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:51 AM

It was pretty good. I learned a lot flying with Caldak and really enjoyed his style. is the fight we got, lol.

#18 ROX Genghis

ROX Genghis

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:51 AM

One issue that came up during the roam, some fleet members where having trouble working out what squad they where in, they had fleet set to flat rather than hierarchy.

Not sure if you mentioned on day one, if not then maybe there should be some material about general fleet structure, settings and organization on day one.

One problem with the default squad names is that they aren't unique. For example, the top of your fleet window might say "Wing 2, Squad 3" but if you scroll down you'll see that you're in "Squad 8". So there needs to be a clearer way of identifying squads.

Roam was pretty meh due to all of the elite PVP alliances that were scared to fight us. Even the final fight was pretty meh because TEST really overdid it. But them's the breaks. Some roams are epic; you roll the dice...

#19 dzu

dzu

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for the roam, Caldak and class! It was very frustrating to watch these fleets form up - fleets that would have been more than an even match for us - just to see them run away when our skirmishers came into system. Perhaps we'll have better luck on the Wolfpacks roam . . . hope to see you there.

#20 mrmalak

mrmalak
  • Pip

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:16 AM

So, the roam was great untill we came to PF just outside of Orvolle, sadly I asked if I should fetch my my cane and I was told to grab it and return. I did and was promptly blown up. I guess thats the price for geting a bunch of kills. Then, I asked how to post a kill to BC that wasn't showing and no one could help me. I sure do wish I could get the same responce as the female players when I asked for help.
MrMalak - Malakinov (BVMI)

ALUMNI

BASIC-20110902

#21 Sarek Minyatar

Sarek Minyatar

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:45 AM

So, the roam was great untill we came to PF just outside of Orvolle, sadly I asked if I should fetch my my cane and I was told to grab it and return. I did and was promptly blown up. I guess thats the price for geting a bunch of kills.

Then, I asked how to post a kill to BC that wasn't showing and no one could help me.

I sure do wish I could get the same responce as the female players when I asked for help.

sorry about the Cane, sometimes fights don't turn out the way we hope/anticipate them to. But about BC, we just don't use it, so we couldn't help you there. You should have posted it to the PVP-U killboard like everybody else did.

#22 Aethena

Aethena

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:32 AM

Roam was great – disappointing that so many potential opponents ran away, but the experience of flying in and working with such a large fleet was really beneficial. I must admit I found the smaller 20+ roam that happened later more fun than the ginormous fleet we had initially. Think I suffered a bit of sensory overload in the larger fleet and in the fight against TEST – I'm guessing (and hoping) that improves with practice. I think Caldak did a fantastic job of handling a class that seemed quite disparate in terms of age and experience. I'm really impressed with the ethos of Agony, and how much time and energy they put in to introduce new/less experienced players to PVP in EVE. They've definitely helped shape the path I'm going to pursue in the game and increased my enjoyment of it. Looking forward to the Wolfpacks class (even if I do have to take a day off from work and get up at 4am...)! o7

#23 Caldak

Caldak

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:28 AM

Bubbles watched the vid. Bad boy, you didn't apply that damp on anyone? but thanks for posting it.

Done some class's

#24 Nonnori

Nonnori
  • Pip

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

Hey Caldak and Agony, thanks for the class! I just have a couple comments...

• You've already got this down with the video I think, but the ~hour we spent in the beginning of the class on getting people's information into the fleet manager tool was painful. Anything to reduce that is great.
  • A few conventions for fleet communication were never mentioned until they were used in an important situation. For instance, we were divided into damping and track disrupt groups 1-5, great. I was in disrupt group 1. Then only squad 1 was to jump through a gate, so I jumped. Eventually it became clear that you really were talking about squads, so I spend the time to scroll though the fleet list and find out I was in squad 2. A quick comment at some early point to the effect of "I'll be giving different orders to the different squads, so put your fleet manager view to hierarchical and remember what squad you're in," would have been great.
  • I though the standard for calling primary was "Player Name in ShipType is primary," so I spent most of the big TEST fight desperately wondering why I couldn't find this guy Liekeesis. Afterwards people let me know that the Lachesis is a ship. : ) Keeping in mind the target audience is people who've never been part of big organized fleets, mentioning your standard for calling primary would have been useful.
Anyway cool experience, and great job organizing in an effective way a disparate group of 60+ people! Your general techniques for that are probably the most useful takeaways for me. I'll join again sometime, hopefully with less scaredy-cat opponents.

#25 Petra

Petra

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

Thanx for the vid bubbles quick description of the roam: 2 hrs rushing about scaring everybody away 5 mins of terror and a sudden death! lol As alumni I brought my interceptor to see what it flew like and now feel relatively confident that with a bit of thought I can get away from most things lo and null sec ( not fight you note , just get away from :) ) interesting roam, seriously, as it was my second roam ever I got a lot out of it. in terms of tactics I could more easily spot what Caldak was trying to do regarding the "Big Fight" they really had to go overboard to kill a lot of newbies so props to us for taking them on and acquitting ourselves well. really looking forwards to wolfpacks hope for plenty of targets and that elusive 'killmail' for the final shot lol “Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die.”== G.K Chesterton
Basic - 20110726
Wolfpack -20110917