Photo

How is EVE these days

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Andrius

Andrius

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:59 PM

Long time no see as my coffee business has been keeping me busy (as per my going away message). Not sure when the last time I logged in was, however, I do believe most of my stuff is still in 0.0 wherever we had setup some POSes back in the day (that can't be good and I might chalk up a nice loss upon log-in) but I am meaning to put my spare time to good use. I am thinking of coming back to EVE and reapplying. Wondering how things were and what the process would be for a re-join? Seek out a recruiter and go through the normal steps once recruitment re-opens? Let me know and take care. If Ginger is still around, pod him, he owes me an Ishkur.
You'll succeed if you do the exact opposite of what I do.

PVP Basic 1111061800

Wolfpacks 1908071800

#2 Granger

Granger

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:55 PM

\o/ o/o/
"...the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy." - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

"Except that, as is usually said of spoons, THERE IS NO SHIELD." - Lord Maldoror
"Bob Shaftoes is drenched in Hyperions" - Kil2 CCP Rise, EVE AT XI
"Cambions are like Drakes that go really fast" - MB III CCP Dolan, EVE AT XI

BASIC-042620081900
WOLFPACKS-053120081600
FLYBYS-2206081600

Posted Image

My YouTube Channel

#3 Azual

Azual

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

Hey andrius, Things are pretty good, although you'll probably find quite a few things have changed. If you want to find out more, I guess you'll just have to reapply! ;) As far as what to do, just put an app in like normal, don't worry about recruitment being open/closed. With a returning member such as yourself I expect it'll be turned around fairly quickly!
Ex-Director of PVP-Uni, Eve Blogger and author of The Altruist
Posted Image

#4 Talaras

Talaras

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:35 AM

\o/ Hey hey, another of the older bastages shows up! from someone who just came back, its changed,A LOT. and its NICE

That which I am, that which I will be. 

Graduated my clases, in the last decade. :)

#5 Syn Stalkyr

Syn Stalkyr
  • PipPip

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:24 AM

I too am an old fart thinking of rejoining EVE and AU in specific. Is the group still really active, still have lots of 0.0 holdings and the like? Is there a need for pilots? If I reactivated I'd basically want to jump into the next PVP-BASIC class and other classes and rejoin AU. I can honestly say EVE is the only MMORPG where I totally hate PVE but crave PVP. All the others I could leave PVP behind for good PVE encounters, but EVE is just so much more than that.

#6 Azual

Azual

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

Is the group still really active, still have lots of 0.0 holdings and the like? Is there a need for pilots?

Yep, Agony is still active, although I'm not sure what you mean about holdings since we don't hold space!

We're not short pilots, but there's always room in Agony for the right people. ;)
Ex-Director of PVP-Uni, Eve Blogger and author of The Altruist
Posted Image

#7 Syn Stalkyr

Syn Stalkyr
  • PipPip

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

Is the group still really active, still have lots of 0.0 holdings and the like? Is there a need for pilots?

Yep, Agony is still active, although I'm not sure what you mean about holdings since we don't hold space! B)

We're not in any desperate need of pilots, but there's always room in Agony for people with the right attitude.

Good to hear then. Last time I checked around I heard AU was starting up an Alliance (which was also unspeakable when I was in) so I wasn't sure if AU was growing a plan for galaxy domination, lol j/k. I guess I'll join up for a month or so and try out a class to dust off my old ships and see if I still have the chops for PVP.

#8 Tzimon

Tzimon

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:39 PM

Good to hear then. Last time I checked around I heard AU was starting up an Alliance (which was also unspeakable when I was in) so I wasn't sure if AU was growing a plan for galaxy domination, lol j/k.

Agony Unleashed did start up an alliance called Agony Empire, which is a single corp alliance set up so that we could compete in the Alliance Tournaments.

...and as far as galactic dominance? That's what we do every night Pinky.

#9 Syn Stalkyr

Syn Stalkyr
  • PipPip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:32 AM

Ok, I activated my account again. So sad to open my inbox and the only things I have in there is a convo between me and Gemini Zero being my mentor in AU and some skill planning and then the email that I've been removed from the AU listing for deactivating my account, lol. So I know my first end goal now (covops/force recon) but looks quite unobtainable... I thought I remember PVP-BASIC being like 5 million ISK (could be wrong of course) but it's 20 million and I checked my wallet and I only have 15 million. :-\ I guess I need to hit the local belts and farm some money or sell off some assets.

#10 Corywyn

Corywyn

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:46 AM

So I know my first end goal now (covops/force recon) but looks quite unobtainable... I thought I remember PVP-BASIC being like 5 million ISK (could be wrong of course) but it's 20 million and I checked my wallet and I only have 15 million. :-\ I guess I need to hit the local belts and farm some money or sell off some assets.

If you have done PvP Basic before, you can always return for free. (And looking through the wiki, you show up as a graduate of the July '06 pvp basic)

So just wait for the next Basic, sign up as an alumni (if you want to be super by the book) and then show up for the class ;) (Some more reading on that topic)

#11 Syn Stalkyr

Syn Stalkyr
  • PipPip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:02 AM

So I know my first end goal now (covops/force recon) but looks quite unobtainable... I thought I remember PVP-BASIC being like 5 million ISK (could be wrong of course) but it's 20 million and I checked my wallet and I only have 15 million. :-\ I guess I need to hit the local belts and farm some money or sell off some assets.

If you have done PvP Basic before, you can always return for free. (And looking through the wiki, you show up as a graduate of the July '06 pvp basic)

So just wait for the next Basic, sign up as an alumni (if you want to be super by the book) and then show up for the class ;) (Some more reading on that topic)

Yay! I thought I remembered something about alumni being able to come in sometimes, so sounds like I'll drop in the next BASIC as one. I'll take that 15mil and put that towards a CovOps class after I get a flowing income again. Can't wait to get back in the saddle! It's been so long, literally since 2006.

#12 Aelana Anais

Aelana Anais

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:42 PM

Yay! I thought I remembered something about alumni being able to come in sometimes, so sounds like I'll drop in the next BASIC as one. I'll take that 15mil and put that towards a CovOps class after I get a flowing income again. Can't wait to get back in the saddle! It's been so long, literally since 2006.

Wow 2006, thats when I took a break but I came back in 2008... ug lets see what has changed since then:
(in no particular order)

No more INSTAs
You now have the option to warp to zero
I can't remember if Titans/Motherships(Super Carriers) were around then
T2 Invention instead of T2 BPOs
Planetary Interaction
Completely new and actually workable probing system
Wormholes / Sleepers
Sansha Incursions
Epic Arcs (long mission arcs with high rewards you can run once every 90days)
Lots of tweakage on ship balance and the like, so chances are what you know about fitting is wrong
Lots of tweakage on sound and graphics
Complete UI overhaul, which looks like there are still small remnants of issues outstanding about
New portrait/avatar generator
No more learning skills (any learning skills you had are re-imbursed as skillpoints you can assign manually)
Skill Certificates (groups of skills at levels that are used to suggest skills for various hulls, e-peen comparison, whatever)
Medals/Awards (pure e-peen assigned by your corp)
Bunch of random industrial foo (Orca: the hisec mining subcap, Noctis: the salvage boat)
Gangs have been changed to fleets and you can no longer shoot someone in the fleet unless you can shoot them for other reasons (in corp, etc)
Jita has become /the/ trade hub even more than it was when you played, with warp to zero a lot of people just go to jita to buy faction gear wherever they are.. there are still other mini-hubs but usually they don't have the faction/officer goodies at least not reliably.
Rigs (modifications you can make to your hull like modules but they don't come off without destroying them)
Deep Safes have been nerfed (you can't make them on login anymore and you cant make them at all past distance of furthest celestial from sun + 20AU away from the sun)
They put in a formal system for buying and selling time cards for isk called PLEX
They got rid of a lot of the static complexes and turned them into probable sites
They completely changed sov 0.0 space so much that I am not going to bullet point out the differences
evegate.com lets you read your evemail and eve calendar (which is also new) from out of game
The forums are still a mess but they are working on them ™
Fleet finder lets you publish your fleet for alliance, corp or standings and lets you find and join fleets without needing an explicit invite
Omber is now useless compared to other ores (if you are into that kind of thing)
Crap load more missions (if you are into that kind of thing)
If they existed in 2006, doomsdays no longer do AoE damage, they are single ship killers now (re: Titans)
Motherships/Supercarriers (if they existed back then) now have a specialized fighter bomber drone that only they can use designed to help kill capitals.
BOB imploded, became something else, imploded again and I think is now out there in another form.
Goonswarm imploded, became goonswarm again, imploded and is now goonwaffe or some dumb shit.
There was a big hubbub around 2006/7 with CCP giving T2 BPOs to their pets in BOB that caused them to revamp their internal policies and create several internal positions to monitor dev and gm playing activity... doesn't completely eliminate problems but it has helped a lot.
CSM which is a council of players that are advising CCP development team was created and has evolved over time

And I am 100% sure I have missed some :)

EDIT:
Oh right...

No more random drugs and shit from mission givers, instead each mission awards you loyalty points you can use to cash in for shit.
R&D agents are still around but instead of giving out BPOs in a lottery system, they give you research points you can use to get datacore that are used in T2 invention, they are a good way to get passive income since they give them to you at a steady rate regardless if you do anything for them... in fact if you had any R&D agents going in 2006, check in with them you might have a lot of datacore available and would be a nice starter cache of isk.
AURA's voice in the tutorial is gone and the tutorials have been revamped.. but they are promising to bring back AURA
COSMOS missions that are generally ignored by anyone except those who are farming faction standing
Faction Warfare which looked interesting but basically flopped due to lag and stupid implementation, it is coming back(ish)

Edited by Aelana Anais, 24 February 2011 - 02:49 PM.

"You have my sword"... "And my staff"... "And my bunny bracelet."
-- IT Crowd, Series 4, Episode 1: "Jen the Fredo"

"Oh and we made sure they have lots of lens flares, because as you know, the future is full of lens flares."
-- CCP Torfi Frans

BASIC-20101008 | WOLFPACKS-20101228 | ADVANCED-20110102
SKIRMISH-20110129 | FLYBY-20110212 | COVOPS-20110219

Posted Image

#13 Syn Stalkyr

Syn Stalkyr
  • PipPip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:38 PM

Wow, nice "Last time on EVE-Online" recap there Aelana. Hmm, my snap shot in time memory was that the first titan was a big secret within BOB space and some of the first skirmishes but were usually nothing but finding some Titan with the pilot AFK or something lame and maybe only 3 or so were around. There were big plans about the asteroid belts going from static known belts to the probing system, tho I never saw the change first hand. War to Zero was implemented by the time I left. I heard about the RIGs and the addition of heat and overloading modules, which still seems meh in my opinion but I don't know the plus and minuses of it all. Haha, I remember Omber being the shizz, but I never really was a miner. I never really understood R&D either. I'm more of a combat jockey. I'm kinda disappointed in the new toon creator... Totally blows me away with the facial detail... but where are all the racial specific looks and clothing options? Boo. But oh man, hearing about BOB and GOON from other internet sources was great. Only in EVE does huge events like that make their way around and impress anyone that hears the story, which made me want to join back up a few times. I also go back and watch TheKiller8's videos like every 6 months or year and laugh out loud every time. (http://www.nightwalk...e/dl/thekiller8) Also can't wait to hit the classroom again and learn about what fittings are best nowadays and all that.

#14 Aelana Anais

Aelana Anais

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:57 PM

Wow, nice "Last time on EVE-Online" recap there Aelana. Hmm, my snap shot in time memory was that the first titan was a big secret within BOB space and some of the first skirmishes but were usually nothing but finding some Titan with the pilot AFK or something lame and maybe only 3 or so were around. There were big plans about the asteroid belts going from static known belts to the probing system, tho I never saw the change first hand. War to Zero was implemented by the time I left. I heard about the RIGs and the addition of heat and overloading modules, which still seems meh in my opinion but I don't know the plus and minuses of it all. Haha, I remember Omber being the shizz, but I never really was a miner. I never really understood R&D either. I'm more of a combat jockey.

I'm kinda disappointed in the new toon creator... Totally blows me away with the facial detail... but where are all the racial specific looks and clothing options? Boo. But oh man, hearing about BOB and GOON from other internet sources was great. Only in EVE does huge events like that make their way around and impress anyone that hears the story, which made me want to join back up a few times. I also go back and watch TheKiller8's videos like every 6 months or year and laugh out loud every time. (http://www.nightwalk...e/dl/thekiller8) Also can't wait to hit the classroom again and learn about what fittings are best nowadays and all that.

Yea its funny, back then titans were mysterious, these days they are almost a dime a dozen. There was a recent battle in Uemon that fielded over 200 supercaps (titans and supercarriers) IIRC.

Well since you saw rigs, they added sized rigs so there are small rigs for frigates/dessies and their t2 brethren, medium for cruisers/battlecruisers/industrials and their t2 brethren, and large for battleship + sized... which makes them almost ubiquitous now, since its pretty inexpensive to rig a frigate with small rigs and its almost always worth it to do so.

As with anything overheating is all about squeezing the last bit of an edge over your opponent, you see lots of people overloading scram/points/webs to increase their range or prop modules to catch that /slightly/ faster ship or get away, etc. Same with tank and gank ofc.

They really dropped the ball with not shipping the racial stuff / tattoos initially. They claim they are going to add it and that we will get a chance to redo our portrait at that time, and after that my guess is they will add a micropay to re-do your portrait thing. (which itself causes more than a fair share of controversy)
"You have my sword"... "And my staff"... "And my bunny bracelet."
-- IT Crowd, Series 4, Episode 1: "Jen the Fredo"

"Oh and we made sure they have lots of lens flares, because as you know, the future is full of lens flares."
-- CCP Torfi Frans

BASIC-20101008 | WOLFPACKS-20101228 | ADVANCED-20110102
SKIRMISH-20110129 | FLYBY-20110212 | COVOPS-20110219

Posted Image